• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock G31M-S (s-775) and Q6600 core 2 quad fsb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tzitzikas

Registered
Hi. I bought an used ASRock G31M-S motherboard (s-775). My cpu is Q6600 core 2 quad (FSB1066). I built the system. The problem is that when I push the power-on button of the case, the system don't post the first time. Only the green power led is on (the ssd red led is not lighting). If then I push the reset button of the pc case, then the pc boots normally every time (or if I push the power button constantly some seconds to close the power, and then push the power-on button again, the system boots normally). When I shut down pc, the windows shut down properly and the monitor stop to display, but the cpu fan still spinning.
On motherboard the OC800 jumper has shorted pin1-pin2. Also FSB0 and FSB1 jumpers both has shorted short pin1-pin2. When I moved the jumper OC800 from pin1-pin2 to pin2-pin3 the system operate normally. I have normal boot and normal shut-down. Everytime. It was the right action? To short pins 2-3? Or not? May I had short pin2-3 on FSB0 or FSB1 jumper? What these jumpers FSB0 and FSB1 doing if I short pin2-3 (from 1-2?). The manual https://download.asrock.com/Manual/G31M-S.pdf
is not explain about the jumpers FSB0 and FSB1. Also I didn't find anything about cpu with FSB1066 If I must short pin2-pin3 at OC800 jumper.
In windows and in bios the cpu has stock frequency (2,4GHZ) if i short pin2-pin3 in OC800 jumper.
Please help me. Thank in advance! :)

If you want to overclock the FSB800-CPU to FSB1066 on this motherboard, you need to adjust the jumpers. Please short pin2, pin3 for OC800 jumper. Otherwise, the CPU may not work properly on this motherboard.
This is from page 19 in the manual. Changing the OC800 jumper to short pins 2-3 was the correct thing for you to do.

Welcome to the forums.
:welcome:

I shorted the pins 2 and 3 (OC800 jumper). It worked well 3 times. The cpu fan stopped spinning after windows 10 shutdown. But now I am facing the same problem. The pu fan continues spinning after windows 10 shutdown. Why? Is a windows 10 problem or hardware problem? Thank in advance!

Is there a bios update for that motherboard?

Try running a Linux Live distro from a DVD and see if the fan shuts off when you shut down.

I tried bios update, but there is not any update utility in s.m.a.r.t. options in bios , that the manual refair, to flash the last bios. I wrote the last bios ROM file on a USB fat 32 drive stick. Maybe a locked bios chip? The bios chip in motherboard has a sticker which refairs the bios version 1.6. the last bios update is 2.1 and it's change the shutdown behavior in windows 8. https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G31M-S/#BIOS

Then I enable in windows 10 command prompt the Hibernate option and then the PC shutdown correctly, but I wouldn't like the Hibernate option on. Also with this option on I can not go to bios menu. It's boot directly from Hibernation. I have to disable it again from command prompt to have biosanu available. So I think that is Windows problem. Anny suggestion? Thank you in advance

It is risky the windows method
Is it?

It is better to do it through the BIOS, yes, however you don't seem to have that luxury....so........ live with it, try to flash it, or buy another motherboard are your options at this point. :)

Or enable permanently the windows 10 hibernate on. If it is on the PC shutdown normally and fans stop spinny after shutdown. The problem is only then, that I cannot access bios settings with hibernate on. I may disable hibernate option to have the possibility to access bios.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure... that too.

...or just work up some fortitude and try the flash.

EDIT: You know you can EDIT a post instead of deleting them and reposting, correct?

You just deleted your post I responded to minutes ago which makes the thread look borked.

Last edited:
No after some successfully shutdown ( after short pin2-3 at oc800 jumper), the same problem continue to exist. Only if I set windows 10 hibernation on the PC shutdown normally (cpu fan stop spinning and power LED stop lighting). But I am trying to have successfully shutdown with disabled hibernation.

Back