• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Asrock phantom gaming z390 last bios time issie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xxNAPxx

Hello Everyone, I would need some help trying to figure out some minor but annoying issue. With my previous memory kit (avexir 3600 19 19 19 39) and old bios (asrock phantom gaming itx z390 ver. 1.00) my bios boot time was stimated into task manager 3.2/3.3sec in ultra fast boot sometimes 4.8(quite uncommonly), cold boot had same behaviour and even better, (i was able to get into windows almost instantaneously, by the time my screen splashscreen was off, windows was already up) since I installed my new RAM and update the bios (to ver. 4.3), i was expecting improvements but it's the opposite, it got worse(viper patriot 4400 19 19 19 39) my bios boot time averagely increased to 3.3/3.4 and very often it's over 5 sec, especially on cold boot, while the previous memory stick was able to be istantaneous, now is very "slow", only in one occasion it actually reveals faster, when I shut down windows and switch on the pc again, in that case bios boot time is 2.5seconds,this is actually the behaviour I was expecting from these ram, but it's the only scenario, for the rest is always slower. I tried to configure some voltages (vccio/sa, pll) but couldn't figure out what can be the cause of this weird behavior, tried to set memory fast boot or not, AHCI suspend to ram, but honestly I don't know. The system is very stable tried many test, am I missing something?

RAM isn't really a factor in boot times. You switched BIOS' so that is the culprit. Some change in the updated BIOS makes it take longer it would seem.

there is a chance that the new bios has activated some devices that now need drivers, and will have to load those drivers before windows can boot. maybe try to turn off devices that you dont use

Everything is already disabled, even mouse and keyboard, to narrow down the issue I should downgrade the bios at least to verify it's not the culprit, if the issue persists than I got to find the reason somewhere else, in the RAM at this point becaise is the only thing I changed in my system. I don't know if faster RAM needs some higher voltage somewhere, I already tried to rise up the DIMM voltage to 1.55v (very high but just for testing) and didn't work, it may need some more voltage on the system Agent or memory controller but I tried 1.15v (which the motherboard already stated as very high) and system crashed like you lowered the latency values withoit giving enough voltagr for it so no idea, what else could affect a cold boot delay?

First, unless the manufacturer has changed how this works in their most recent products, with ASRock motherboards it is very easy to roll back to an earlier bios version. It works the same way as upgrading the bios to a newer version. Just unpack the old bios version to a USB flash drive and use the flasher tool in bios.

Second, I find your post confusing. Are you talking about boot times into bios ("bios boot time") or boot times into Windows? You seem to be referring to both.

And a boot time of 5 seconds into Windows is still a very fast boot time. I'm not sure I see what the problem is.

Last edited:
I do apologise for my english as it is not my first language. What I'm talking about is the "last Bios time" showed in task manager when you start windows. The OS itself boots the same apparently (I don't have a benchmark for that), what changed is the bios time. With the old memories (on different bios) it used to be 3.2 sec on reboot and the same on cold boot. With the new modules on reboot tge new bios time is quite unstable, passing from 3.4 (slight decrese) to 5.6 on cold boot, but if I shut down the system and switch it on again within a short period of time, it (the bios time) actually boots faster doing 2.4sec resulting in a almost istantaneus boot, which is actually what I was expecring from the memory upgrade

Oh, you mean this. I never noticed that before. Sorry for misunderstanding.

You must have "Fast Boot" enabled in bios to get boots that quick. As you can see, mine is much longer. But I do not have Fast Boot enabled because it wouldn't let me get into bios to make changes unless I do a manual reset of the CMOS.

I guess if this is important to you you can try rolling back the bios to the earlier version. Different motherboards can have significantly different boot times even when all the other hardware is the same. My guess is the more recent bios has caused the change in your particular situation.

Attachments

• Oh this.jpg
    Oh this.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 166
I think so too, of course ultra fast boot is enabled. Unfortunately as the official website claim is not possible to revert the bios to a previous version, so unless there is a different solution for that I believe I must live it like that

Back