• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock tech support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
Well i am a bit disappointed in the email i received from them.
Eric@ASRock Support said:
Sorry about the issue you are, we dont have provide any overclock tips. If you think the mainboard is not reading your G3258 cpu not correctly. We suggest you contact the seller for mainboard. As far as I can see. Intel G3258 running 3.2G and UEFi processor show 4.28G. We dont see any problem. When you O/C the processor with Z97M board.

I can understand about their position on overclocking tips, however the issue i was having is not requiring a TIP of any kind.

My issue was rather clear, bios says the cpu is oc'd to 4.28ghz yet i get into windows all cpu speed monitoring programs say 3.26ghz. This to me says there is a problem with the board or the bios (more possibly the bios then the board) or last could be a setting in the bios i was overlooking. Ironicly what seemed to solve the issue of the not getting into windows at 4.28ghz was using the 4.2ghz oc profile in the bios. before having it make the changes for the oc, i noted all my settings in the oc tool and the cpu config page. after telling the profile to make the changes, i restart it, check the settings, check my list. Notice votages are a bit higher then what i needed when testing in windows using the windows based oc tool. i lower the voltages back down, restart again and get into windows. Low and behold, cpuz and every other program i used to check cpu speed is showing 4.28ghz. just to double check this from my testing before using the oc profile, i ran sandra to get a cpu based score and cinebench. both ran after i got into windows and cpuz showing a clock speed of 3.2ghz and when using the windows oc tool. my scores were at the range of 4.28ghz scores i got before. problem solved to me in a way but not really, shouldnt have to use a oc profile to get the multi to work on a unlocked cpu in the first place.

Lastly a overclocking board is just that ment for overclocking. A unlocked cpu multi change not working correctly is a big issue for someone wanting such a board. If support isnt willing to try to figure out why/what might be causing this, then why offer such a board?

will i be returning my board, no, i like it alot. Tech support for many companies can always use a bit more help to be better. Maybe this might be start for that. as the linked forums on their page got me no where with any kind of help.

Travel the tough road and help make it better.

The issue Shrimp _ Brime is referring to is my FSB was down clocking to 189 from 253. ASRock tech support was claiming the CPU had degraded and was causing the FSB reduction. I explained to him/her that it doesn't really work that way. BIOS controls the CPU not the other way around. They eventually agreed to replace the board (still waiting for Auth email).

Anyhow, if your board isn't performing the way it's advertised to, stick to your guns and get them to replace it.

well they claim the board works per their email since in bios it read 4.28ghz in the main page. Though the multi reduction or locking to me is more a bios issue or something else not getting set correctly. since the only thing i did difference was use the oc profile and all my settings matched up i have to go with bios. Everything is working now, so no need to rma, hopefully a bios-reflash may fix it. at this point its not that big a issue since i found a work around, i will just wait for a new bios to come out.

without out going to a beta bios yes... the board came with 1.3, i updated to 1.4.

Just wanted to double check.
I didn't have the issue on 1.3 with the review sample, but it was a different board.

Just wanted to double check.
I didn't have the issue on 1.3 with the review sample, but it was a different board.

which board, the Z97M OCF? thats a bit differen then the Z97 OCF..

my extreme 9 does this if i use the all cores function, it shows 4800 in the bios, main screen and in the clocking screen, everything in the os will show a 44 clock.
using the per core function it goes right to 48.

my extreme 9 does this if i use the all cores function, it shows 4800 in the bios, main screen and in the clocking screen, everything in the os will show a 44 clock.

Hmm, I never used the "all cores" multiplier, I'll try to remember to test mine later and see if it does the same.

If so I'll get in contact with ASRock and let them know about the issue.

Yea mine was set to all cores as well when I first started. Even using the of profile it did all cores so I dunno but I'll try each core see what happens.

I especially like the English they use at ASRock of America Tech support.

which made me think they are overseas, that and they said to take it back the seller. umm most items i have opened lately say if you have a problem with our product to not take it back to the retailer. anyway, im not going to do that for something can be fixed in the bios. I cant comment on the guys level of overclocking or computer building experience, he may know its an issue. though according to asrock it may not be...

also a member on TT forums in the asrock section had the same problem on a Z87 board. its not just me then...

need to dig a bit deeper though, im starting to wonder.

with which cpu? also did you have turbo boost and EIST disabled?

You can expect me to check that on my G3258 and Z97M OCF but I will probably get board tomorrow.

Is beta BIOS acting the same ?

Day 3 of waiting for my E-mail authorization for my RMA. Looks like I need to E-mail the tech and see what's up. How long does it take to submit a RMA ticket?

If your board has a dual bios... why not... ;)
The board does not have a dual bios feature but it is user replaceable if I had another if.
Day 3 of waiting for my E-mail authorization for my RMA. Looks like I need to E-mail the tech and see what's up. How long does it take to submit a RMA ticket?
Don't know took about 24hrs or so to get an email response to my ticket.

Woomack, forget if I posted this. Try using all core first to set the multi check the speed in windows. Then try per core ratio if the of doesn't work, need more proff. Though I wonder if this is by design now. Since all core may work fine on unlocked CPUs with turbo. Then CPUs without it need to use the per core ratio setting.

Back