• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock x79 Extreme 4: monitoring VRM temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

Does anyone know if it's even possible to monitor VRM temps on this "budget" 'board?

I keep getting system resets when running Orthos to perform stress testing, so I'm wondering if the VRM's could be overheating and the VRM protection kicking in.

Do most people disable VRM protection when overclocking?

If the VRM protection is triggering, it's saving your motherboard from this:
(fast forward to 3:52)

Feel the heatsink, if it's hot you have problems.

Between this thread and this thread, I had to go check my Asrock x79 Extreme 4 board, the heatsink is too hot to keep touching for over a 1/2 second. My x79 is running a Xeon E 2650, so overclocking is limited, and not really worth pursuing for folding@home performance increase.

If the smoke leaks out of the VRM, I hope it does it before April 2015. ;)

Between this thread and this thread, I had to go check my Asrock x79 Extreme 4 board, the heatsink is too hot to keep touching for over a 1/2 second. My x79 is running a Xeon E 2650, so overclocking is limited, and not really worth pursuing for folding@home performance increase.

If the smoke leaks out of the VRM, I hope it does it before April 2015. ;)

That'd be within the definition of "too hot" in my book. I don't like heatsink temps beyond the ~130-140f level that you can leave your fingers on.
I'd put a fan on that thing.

That'd be within the definition of "too hot" in my book. I don't like heatsink temps beyond the ~130-140f level that you can leave your fingers on.
I'd put a fan on that thing.

I should put the front 120mm case fan back in service, was getting a bit noisy so I disconnected it; really needs to be replaced- pushing 5 years old.

If the VRM protection is triggering, it's saving your motherboard from this:
(fast forward to 3:52)

Feel the heatsink, if it's hot you have problems.

Oh yeah, it's freakin' hot. Hotter than Satan's sauna.

The VRM heatsink is a joke on the Asrock x79 Extreme 4. It's a large chunk of anodized Al that has a few grooves cut in it. There's nothing you would call a heatsink fin anywhere on the thing.

When I was running my Phanteks ph-tc14cs downdraft fansink, the VRM's and RAM had some great cooling airflow, but it couldn't really keep the CPU cool. Now with my Thermalright Archon SB-E, I have a relatively cool CPU, and burning hot VRM's.

Back