• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Z170 Gaming K6 Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is random... LOL!! Seems like someone sucked the color saturation out of it to me though.

I like the MSI Z170 Gaming boards...ASUS has some great looking boards as well, their ROG series in particular... If that is sext some of the others must be DEAD SEXY!

fat-bastard.jpg

ASRock gaming and ASUS ROG look somehow similar. Actually MSI boards are also not so much different. All took similar colors , heatsink shapes etc. All also have their gaming, classic and OC series. It's like all are going the same way and try to compete with the same lines of products.
I mainly care if board is working good. It doesn't have look great.

Last edited:
The ASROCK OC series wen black and white instead of black and yellow. Oddly enough, it says GAMING in its name though... Z170 Xpower Gaming... yadaya

If I'm right then ASRock OCF is still black and yellow/gold -> http://www.anandtech.com/show/9485/...srock-asus-gigabyte-msi-ecs-evga-supermicro/2
Extreme are black and orange. Gaming are black and red.
I think you meant MSI. MSI is mixed as I see but most gaming are black/red similar to ASRock and ASUS gaming series.

I also saw pre-release photos of ASUS and they're slightly different than photos which I see in some online stores.

1h more and I will go for ASUS Maximus 8 Ranger ( it's already near 4 pm here ) ... I only hope it will work good. Looking at all Z170 boards I don't expect it will overclock worse than the highest OC models. I also don't want to spend much money on this platform. So far exchanging some old stuff to new gave me ~$250 profit :) X79 is still weirdly expensive.

So are things really overclocking the same? I would imagine with the removal of the FIVR, that motherboards and their power bits become more important...

I see that all records in OC right now are on the cheapest ROGs, OC Formula and highest MSI. So generally everything. CPUs will OC about the same. I think that memory will only overclock different as all depends if support work some more to make optimal BIOS. In most cases OC series motherboards have much longer BIOS support. Like average boards have support for 3-6 months max. Later are only updates for new microcode or larger memory module support. OC boards have more updates related to memory support, high OC clocks, stability at some ratios/dividers etc.

The cheapest ROG's are generally more robust than your run of the mill boards... the rest are what we would expect.

Most P67, Z77, Z87, Z97, X79, X99 boards are overclocking CPUs about the same ( with some single exceptions ) so I don't expect that with Z170 will be much different. That's just what I see , if Ranger won't be good then I will exchange it to something else in couple of months. Problems with some boards are usually on the BIOS side or additional things.

Asrock has completely ripped off ASUS ROG with that board, lol. Anyway, this MSI is the sex right there:

msi-z170-titanium.png

For ASUS I'll take this all day long:

asus-maximus-viii-hero.jpg

Most P67, Z77, Z87, Z97, X79, X99 boards are overclocking CPUs about the same ( with some single exceptions ) so I don't expect that with Z170 will be much different. That's just what I see , if Ranger won't be good then I will exchange it to something else in couple of months. Problems with some boards are usually on the BIOS side or additional things.
Id expect boards with FIVRs to be remarkably similar, the rest, similar so long as you are 6 phases and up really.

Back