• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dj1992

Hello guys, my ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is having some wierd problems. Till last night, it worked flawlessly. This morning, when I tried to start up the PC, the board keeps showing D0 error.:bang head From the manual, I found out that D0 means CPU initialization failed.This build is around 2 years old and the CPU was mildly overclocked to 4GHz at 1.15V using the stock cooler and Arctic MX4. Is it possible that the CPU died in just 2 years? or is the motherboard the culprit?

Attachments

• WP_20151023_18_23_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151023_18_23_07_Pro.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,537
Unplug psu and remove the cmos battery for about 5min. Put battery back in and plug the psu back in. Power up and see.

Unplug psu and remove the cmos battery for about 5min. Put battery back in and plug the psu back in. Power up and see.

Yeah, I already tried that, took out CPU, RAM and GPU including the CMOS battery for around 1 hour. Put them back in. Tried with 1 slot of RAM instead of 2, tried without the discrete GPU.....still the same error. I can't test the CPU because I don't have a spare Intel CPU around.

Have you tested the PSU with a multimeter?
That's not exactly the best power supply, it could very well be the problem.

I don't have a multimeter with me right now but I will be able to test out the PSU on my HTPC which includes a FX 4300 with a GTX 950 and 4GB RAM. I'll let you know once I'm done.

Run up to Lowe's or another hardware store and grab one, they're all of $10 for a cheap one and convenient to have.

A SERIOUS point I forgot to tell everyone......today I tried to flash the BIOS using Instant Flash and just at step 1, which says preparing(Step 2 is processing crashless feature and Step 3 is the actual BIOS flashing) , the PC rebooted itself automatically and after that, all these problems began.

- - - Updated - - -

Run up to Lowe's or another hardware store and grab one, they're all of $10 for a cheap one and convenient to have.

I'm from India, my friend and believe me, it's a nightmare over here to shop for electrical parts

I was wondering if we were getting the whole story, sounds like the BIOS is borked. Can you try reflashing the old BIOS back on it?

I was wondering if we were getting the whole story, sounds like the BIOS is borked. Can you try reflashing the old BIOS back on it?

The BIOS is borked then I guess...:shock: On the motherboard manual, it says that in case of a corrupted BIOS, the error code should be DB wheareas mine shows d0(cpu initialisation failed) and before d0 there are a few codes(like 4F) as well which used to show up during normal boot. Is there any way I can reflash the old BIOS? My mobo is not showing any display at all :cry:

Whoa, that's a big difference from "it just quit".... You don't need the DMM any more.

With only one BIOS chip on the board, you either replace the chip or replace the board.

Since my board still has 1 year warranty left, will ASRock replace the board or the chip for me if I RMA it? I do hope they have no way to find out if I bricked the BIOS:p Do you think the BIOS is really borked in just this short time?I mean the instant flash screen showed up for just one second and the PC restarted itself before the flashing could even begin.

If you just tell them that the board failed during a BIOS update that was performed in the typical fashion then they should have no problem processing the RMA.

Back