• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rpjkw11

I won't be building until February, but I've decied on either the NZXT Phantom 820 case or the CoolerMaster Cosmos II.

The ASRock Extreme4 is one inch shorter than the, say, Extreme6. I've read comments that being shorter is not a problem. I, however, remain unsure. I plan to run an i5-3570K with a Noctua NH-D14 (?) fan for overclocking to around 4.0-4.3. I picture the bottom of the mobo as being unattached to the case and, if true, onder if that's a good situation and if it would be adversely affected by the Noctua HSF. I found one comment intriguing saying the shorter Extreme4 would help with running cables/wires to the space behind the mobo.

I'm watching the Extreme6 prices, so this thread may turn out a waste of your time, but I am truly curious about if the "odd" size of the '4 will be a problem.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

Bob

via newegg
extreme4 12" x 8.6"
extreme6 12.0" x 9.6"

so, yes, u are correct. however, this would leave room on the right edge, not BEHIND the motherboard. the boards are pretty much the same, both preform VERY well when OCd. The extreme6 is known to have a little better chips for something, cant recall what; but it would probably only matter for extreme OCs. there is a very in depth review of comparing the two, somewhere... let me see if i can find it.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722124

Thanks for the link, dtrunk. That review was one I missed. I'm "worrying" for nothing. All of the parts have been decided on, and all I have to do is wait until we move to Florida. I'd rather not build a new rig and move it.

Thanks

I would go with the Extreme 6 because of the Japanese caps and the better power delivery which will help in overclocking. The 6 has per the review higher grade components so you will not go wrong Bob. AJ.

I won't be building until February, but I've decied on either the NZXT Phantom 820 case or the CoolerMaster Cosmos II.

The ASRock Extreme4 is one inch shorter than the, say, Extreme6. I've read comments that being shorter is not a problem. I, however, remain unsure. I plan to run an i5-3570K with a Noctua NH-D14 (?) fan for overclocking to around 4.0-4.3. I picture the bottom of the mobo as being unattached to the case and, if true, onder if that's a good situation and if it would be adversely affected by the Noctua HSF. I found one comment intriguing saying the shorter Extreme4 would help with running cables/wires to the space behind the mobo.

I'm watching the Extreme6 prices, so this thread may turn out a waste of your time, but I am truly curious about if the "odd" size of the '4 will be a problem.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

Bob
6 of one, half dozen of the other really. The Ex6 does have better power bits, but for where you are going with it (read 99% of people) the Ex4 will be fine. :thup:

As was mentioned above, the odd size shouldnt matter for you. :)

Last edited:
I have an Extreme 6/GB (2011 board) from Asrock and it it AWESOME. I love it. I would hedge my bets on the Extreme 6 for the better components.

As well, the comment about more space behind the motherboard tray for cable management, I don't get. With a larger board the connections will be closer to the cable gromments (at least in the P820, it would be). However, I don't think that even matters. There's so many grommets and space provided for cable management, this is neither here nor there.... now I'm trying to figure out why I even wrote this part, lol

Back