• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Assistance with my new FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peppercats

Registered
I bought an FX-6300 upgrading from a core2duo(that's ancient), I want to overclock it but I seem to have an issue getting correct temperatures. All 6 of my cores report between 3c(idle) and 17c(playing a game), all cores report the same extremely low temps even in games I know that can't use multiple cores. Taken using both hwmonitor and AIDA64.
My actual CPU temp fluctuates between 30c and 35c on AIDA64.

I have an MSI 990XA-GD55 motherboard flashed to the newest bios, I'm not sure what to do to get correct temp reports, any help would be welcome :)

"Actual CPU temp" is really CPU socket temp. Do you have the core unlocking feature in bios turned on by some chance? If so, that may explain the weird core temp readout as enabling that feature interferes with core temp reading, though typically you get a "0" c reading.

Thanks for the fast response, on my C2D I always disregarded the CPU temp in favor of core temps, is this not true for AMD? Also, do you happen to know the max CPU temp and vcore for my chip by chance? I can't find it anywhere.

Going to go check my bios for the core unlocking feature, thanks for the heads up.

Core temp is the critical one for AMDs as well but be aware that it is typical for the FX CPU core temp sensors to be poorly calibrated on the cool side, often by 10-15c. So I would advise looking at both socket and core temp. Socket temp is usually more accurate even if not quite as good an indicator of what is happening inside the processor. With the FX CPUs we generally say the max stable core temp is about 60c (with whatever offset added as necessary) and 70c for the socket temp. However, unless you have a really high end motherboard like the Crosshair or the Sabertooth you may get down-throttling before reaching those temp levels. The FX power management is very complex. We generally recommend disabling Cool N Quiet, C6, C1E, turbo and APM in bios when overclocking. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. Sometimes putting a spot fan to blow in the socket area to cool the VRMs helps with the down-throttling.

Thank you for the great answers, one last question, is it normal for the cores to all be reporting the same temps in CPUID?

You came from Intel so you probably remember the "cold-bug", I beleive it was called. My understanding was that when you cooled the cpu dramatically, the sensor cycled as 'low' as it would go and then began to read as IF at the high temp end of the scale and that caused shutdowns.

I have been trying for days to figure out how to draw a picture of what is happening with the FX-series core temps for instance. It has come to be my understanding that the greater the core temp rises, the temp becomes more real/accurate.

Regardless of what I say or anyone else says, there is not a real way to fully know the core temps. Various sensors in the die or more close to the die give signals that are read by the processor and calculated and then output. No one has drilled the cpus like was done a few years ago for the Intel cpus which pushed Intel to make their temp reading far more accurate. AND even after all of that Intel says their temps are just for reference only.

So I certainly agree with 'trents' that you need to keep an eye on the CPU Temp reading and the CPU Core Temp readings. By the time most CPU temps reach 70c ish there is the likelihood of instability. At that pont generally you will also notice core temps going into the 60c ish range. So those are my criteria for temps in general. Of course this is when a very good cpu cooler is used.

What's considered 'safe' voltage for this CPU?(FX-6300), doing some googling but it's pretty new so it's kind of hard to find

peppercats, what are you cooling the CPU with?

As a common courtesy to those helping you, please put your system info in a "Sig" that travels with every post you make at the bottom. Very handy as the threads get longer and information you may have supplied about your system components gets buried. To create a Sig, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then Edit Signature. You can use mine for reference if you wish to get an idea of what kind of info we like to have on tap. Don't neglect to tell us about your case make and model. Good cases afford good ventilation which is critical to keeping temps down. New users need to post several times before they have access to the Signature feature so if you don't yet, please try again soon.

"Safe voltage" may not be a relevant question. "Safe temps" are more important and you won't have to worry about unsafe voltages unless you have a pretty super cooling system because high temps will intervene first.

peppercats, what are you cooling the CPU with?

As a common courtesy to those helping you, please put your system info in a "Sig" that travels with every post you make at the bottom. Very handy as the threads get longer and information you may have supplied about your system components gets buried. To create a Sig, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then Edit Signature. You can use mine for reference if you wish to get an idea of what kind of info we like to have on tap. Don't neglect to tell us about your case make and model. Good cases afford good ventilation which is critical to keeping temps down. New users need to post several times before they have access to the Signature feature so if you don't yet, please try again soon.

I'm using a Hyper 212 Evo, I ran some Prime95 at stock and maxed out at 40c on the CPU(Cores were ~30c), I'll work on a signature soon

Stable for a half hour in prime95 at 4.4ghz with 1.45 vcore, is that too high? It's dropping down from vdroop to 1.424-1.432 during prime95 test.
CPU is 43c, Core is 39c.

Thanks again, you guys are incredibly helpful. If it's stable for a couple hours I'll get a capture.

Is it possible to enable things like Cool'n'Quiet and/or C1E stepping while OCing an AMD chip? I often leave my computer on at night and would like to use some power saving features. I guess I could just reboot into a different profile however!

Yes, it's possible to leave the green stuff enabled but it will probably limit your overclock. I would wait till you get the overclock dialed in and then add some of the green stuff back in.

Is there a secret to OCing AMD chips other than upping the vcore? I'm currently stable for an hour of prime95 so far at 4.2ghz/1.35v, it seems like a really big barrier to get 4.4ghz because it instantly error'd out on me at anything less than 1.45v
I am OCing with multiplier BTW.

With the FX CPUs it's pretty much the multiplier and the CPU voltage. They don't like the CPUNB frequency messed with much. Good cooling and a heavy duty power phase mobo are the keys to high overclocks with the FX CPUs. Most people are going with water, at least for the 8 core FXs.

Some people find that a combination of the FSB and the multiplier allows them to get away with a little lower CPU voltage.

Back