• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus 290 won't post after overclock, black screen and motherboard beeps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The overclock should only apply when entering windows not at post.

Hit f8 at post then safe mode and run afterburner and reset it

I tried it with the Bios selector on both sides and it still didn't work. The screen stays black the entire time, and only the mouse and keyboard lights turn on a couple seconds after the motherboard beeps.

The board gives me an error code 26 as well. Google doesn't give me too many accurate results. One result was on the EVGA forums saying that the person had a stable overclock but this error code would randomly give him the same beeps I would get. Eventually he switched out the motherboard to an Asus. The difference with my situation is that my 5870 boots normally, but my 290 does not. Should I try to clear the CMOS once more? I'm guessing the best way is to unplug the pc, remove the battery, and wait 10 minutes?

I tried it with the Bios selector on both sides and it still didn't work. The screen stays black the entire time, and only the mouse and keyboard lights turn on a couple seconds after the motherboard beeps.

The board gives me an error code 26 as well. Google doesn't give me too many accurate results. One result was on the EVGA forums saying that the person had a stable overclock but this error code would randomly give him the same beeps I would get. Eventually he switched out the motherboard to an Asus. The difference with my situation is that my 5870 boots normally, but my 290 does not. Should I try to clear the CMOS once more? I'm guessing the best way is to unplug the pc, remove the battery, and wait 10 minutes?
Wait........ Your saying you get no POST?????????????

Wait........ Your saying you get no POST?????????????

Yes no POST whatsoever. I start up the computer, motherboard does a medium beep, followed by a beep-beep (three beeps total), and then the fans slowdown like normal, and my mouse and keyboard lights go on. The EVGA x58's error code says 26 as well.

Yes no POST whatsoever. I start up the computer, motherboard does a medium beep, followed by a beep-beep (three beeps total), and then the fans slowdown like normal, and my mouse and keyboard lights go on. The EVGA x58's error code says 26 as well.
Reset CMOS

Reset CMOS

Unplugged the computer, pulled the CMOS battery, held the power button 15 seconds, waited 15 minutes, tried again, same issue. This time the error code was 7F and that means that when there's a black screen, there's no response from the video card. It could also mean the motherboard is waiting for user input (as in the POST halted on an error). Either way, it looks like the video card is busted.

By the way, my motherboard bios version is from 5/22/2009, and the latest version is from 9/02/2011. I'm not sure if updating the bios would change anything since this happened after an overclock, but I just wanted to add that information.

Last edited:
Strange how the video jsut died like that from overvolting.

Last week I was running a test run on this sapphire 290 @ 1.3v and left it all night stress testing no problems.

Sure you had fan at 100%?

Are you able to run MSI AB in safe mode considering there are no or generic VGA drivers?

Anyway, if your 5870 boots fine, but not the 290 anymore, it seems like the problem is in the GPU. Test the 290 in another PC would be my next step.

Are you able to run MSI AB in safe mode considering there are no or generic VGA drivers?

Anyway, if your 5870 boots fine, but not the 290 anymore, it seems like the problem is in the GPU. Test the 290 in another PC would be my next step.

Yup

Strange how the video jsut died like that from overvolting.

Last week I was running a test run on this sapphire 290 @ 1.3v and left it all night stress testing no problems.

Sure you had fan at 100%?

I have a Prolimatech gpu cooler on it and I can't change the fan speeds. However while benchmarking, the gpu did not run hotter than 65C. Perhaps something got too hot other than the gpu die? I had all the vram heatsinks and mini heatsinks installed properly though. I also couldn't run the card for more than 10-30 minutes without it shutting off, I'm not sure if that's enough time for something else to fry. Although it didn't shut off while idling, just benchmarking... I don't know anymore to be honest, it's a mystery.

I also tried it in another computer and the computer had a black screen but I also saw its keyboard light up and then the cd drive started to spin. I think it booted to windows but it wouldn't show anything on screen. There also weren't any beeps or error codes but that's because the other computer's motherboard was different.

I have a Prolimatech gpu cooler on it and I can't change the fan speeds. However while benchmarking, the gpu did not run hotter than 65C. Perhaps something got too hot other than the gpu die? I had all the vram heatsinks and mini heatsinks installed properly though. I also couldn't run the card for more than 10-30 minutes without it shutting off, I'm not sure if that's enough time for something else to fry. Although it didn't shut off while idling, just benchmarking... I don't know anymore to be honest, it's a mystery.

I also tried it in another computer and the computer had a black screen but I also saw its keyboard light up and then the cd drive started to spin. I think it booted to windows but it wouldn't show anything on screen. There also weren't any beeps or error codes but that's because the other computer's motherboard was different.

Overvolting can kill a chip despite heat with low temps. Or maybe you blew a cap or something. Inspect the card

Overvolting can kill a chip despite heat with low temps. Or maybe you blew a cap or something. Inspect the card

I don't see anything that looks damaged, blown out, singed, or blackened. I think it's just dead :\

Back