• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS 4870 stock cooler .. not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Komitet

ASUS 4870 stock cooler .. not? :Update:

My brother just bought this:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=019363&cid=999.243.272

link from asus:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=8&l3=726&l4=0&model=2315&modelmenu=2

im wondering why it has the cooler from this: ??

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=8&l3=725&l4=0&model=2329&modelmenu=1

summing it up: the 4870 has the cooler pictured on the 4850. no ram sinks... it is not as pictured on the canada computers site. Anyone else get the same cooler on a 4870?

Also, this was a upgrade from an 8600GTS. That should be a pretty hefty upgrade right? Im not sure if maybe i should be reinstalling windows, i tried world of warcraft for about half an hour last night and noticed no difference at all between this card and my old one. FPS caps out at 60 but dips into the high 20's when lots of action on screen. My 8800GT OC system (Q6600) never dips under the 60 cap....

current specs:
Vista Ultimate 64bit
P5Q (latest bios)
4 gigs Adata DDR2 @950
E2200 @ 2.97
4870 HTDI 512 / 8.8 drivers.
2X WD 320's in matrix raid.

Edit/Update:

Today after work i am going to test this card with a fresh XP 64 bit install. I have until the 22nd to return this card to the store (7 day return due to defects). I know for a fact they will try to stop me from returning it. Someone mentioned there were some parts on the card in my pics that werent original 4870 parts; can anyone point those out to me? I am not impressed with the sales guy at canada computers, he "sold" me this card when i had the option to buy 2 others, guarenteing it was a better buy. (9800X2 or a gtx280. i feel like a moron) Also, i feel it was way overpriced for what i got....$326 canadian with tax. I tried calling ASUS twice and gave up both times after 1 hour hold times.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
i picked it up at the store myself, only a 15 min drive. device manager shows "ASUS EAH4870 series"

Edit: GPUZ screenshot coming

my.php

Last edited:
Something doesnt seem right. I would contact the company you purchased from and express your concerns.

i called them, he said "sometimes they switch coolers". sorta like different batches maybe. Doesnt seem right a 4870 having that cooler on it....

Definitely sounds fishy, especially with no HS on the memory and or power regs..

My advice would be to return it and exchange it for another one, but have them open the box at the store to make sure it has the proper HS on it.

bleh just got home finaly. ya ill get a nice pic. umm....any posting tips since i seem to fubar my pic hosting?

lol woops....these pics are huge..

Last edited:
Not with the clocks he's saying, plus the tops all have ramsinks...the vregs don't needs sinks on the 4870's

the 5 digital vregs DO need sinks and good ones at that. the 2 pulse chips and the vitec chip do not need sinks, only air over em.

its a not a REF designed pcb either, guess asus switched em up. that vreg cooler is just hot looking tho.

what type of ram chips are those?

Personally I would RMA that card unless you plan on water cooling it.

The cooler looks inferior to the reference 4870 cooler. On top of that your card isnt a reference pcb. This can be good or bad depending on how they redesign the pcb. The power delivery system is different from reference and for what I can see it looks like it is using inferior parts.

Thats not even to mention the lack of ram cooling.

could you take of the vreg sink and take some pics of that area?

Back