• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS 4870 stock cooler .. not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm.. ill see if i can get pics of it without pulling it again, its a pain getting it back in (barely fits, wires are messy). The ram chips i THINK start with a Q?

Edit: nvm, cant get a pic without cooler when its on eh :p ill see if i can find one on the net.

+1 for RMA it. its not the card listed on there site and thats what u paid for. to me it looks like ASUS are trying to run out old parts. can u get a pic of the front part of the card? where is the last ram chip located? inline with the other 3 or out of wack?

(the ram chip closest to the VGA ports on the card)

This has me worried. I just bought an open box ASUS HD4870 and I hope it doesn't come with that cooler

I know Boss brought it up, but did ATI make any other PCB's because that thing isn't close to being reference....

almost looks like ASUS has used left over 4850 parts for this card.... i could be completly wrong but the grey blocks and caps look more like my 4850 parts then what ive seen on any 4870

the pcb is printed asus... honestly if you dont plan to OC it.. run it threw a workout and if you dont have problems keep it?

or if your want to OC or are anal like most of us.. RMA it for a refund. and get a diffrent brand. not sure who is still usein stock pcb tho, i know sapphire switched to greenish pcb it might be the same layout/parts tho.

ok so....is this card crap? im installing some futuremark stuff now, will post results ina bit.

Attachments

• power1.jpg
    power1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 957
  • ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 943
  • HSbottom.jpg
    HSbottom.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 937
  • CPU.jpg
    CPU.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 940
Obviously it is using lower quality parts for power regulation however that doesnt always translate into worse overclocking headroom.

At this point I would throw it in your system, open gpuz and fire up some benchmark. If the vreg and gpu temps go over 66C or so I would RMA it. If it passes with good temps then see hard you can push it unless you plan on running it stock. If it meets your expectations heat wise and overclocking wise then keep it.

Also could you take a pic of the blue area of the card with the sink off? The pics you have posted so far are either zoomed out or zoomed in. I doubt seeing it would change my mind about this card but I like to keep pics of every aftermarket pcb that I can get just for personal reference

Attachments

• jpeg3.jpg
    jpeg3.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 557
ya ill do one more pull and get that pic. This is my vantage score, but i never thought to turn off my 2nd monitor before i ran it. ill do '06 next with single display.

Attachments

• vantage.jpg
    vantage.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 536
3DMark '06:

3DMark Score 11553
SM 2.0 Score 4902
SM 3.0 Score 6143
CPU Score 2401

seems to me my CPU is lacking? E2200 @~3.0

anyhow, heres your PCB pic, also please have a look at the pic of the card model # ... whats the /A on the end?

Attachments

• Model.jpg
    Model.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 532
  • PCB-R.jpg
    PCB-R.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 545
Umm....card was 100% stock for 3DMark, GPU max temp was 54c. i noticed on only 1 test it used 100% GPU. other tests were 70-80% fan stayed around 50%, smal jump to 55 when GPU was running 100%. it idles at 44c. Thanks all for the tips.

i tired using the auto clock thing in CCC last night. GPU hit around 810, memory hit jsut over 1000, im not sure if i should use the auto clocker?

I've heard the ref design 4870 power delivery system is flawed. Maybe this is a good answer. I say, try it out!

However, if your case is cluttered like you say you may want to clean that up, and make sure airflow is good. These cards run hot!

this? i dont see vreg temp? auto-tune is still going. those temps are kinda high...

edit: nvm dling ATI tool now.

Attachments

• auto-tune.jpg
    auto-tune.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 565
press f8 during boot and disable driver signing

One of those 3 temps at the bottom is the vreg temps...I think. At any rate 79 is warm. I'll bet ATI Tool gets it a bit warmer.

Can someone post up some stock 4870 vreg temps? I have the 4850.

Back