• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS 4870 stock cooler .. not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
this is the highest i could get without artifacts in ATI Tool.

Edit: I get paid on friday. I think i have another 10 days to return this card. Maybe ill just take it back and get and X2. hmm.... 280X2 or 4870x2? I wont be buying asus i guess.

Attachments

• 790x1000.jpg
    790x1000.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 528
Update:

couldnt get XP installed as my disk is shot, and i dont have a burner atm. So, i reinstalled Vista. my '06 GPU score went up a bit over 500 points at stock speeds. At the speeds in my previous post, ATI recovery was popping up and 3DMark quits. I cant even run 3DMark at 760/950. Temps were looking great, the test would run for about 30 seconds before quitting and none of the temps were over 60c.

I'm starting to wonder if i dont have enough power? Its an Antec earthwatts 500, only 2 weeks old, but i have 3 SATA drives running. Also the E2200 is OC'd, plus 2X 2gigs of ram. Only other addition to the system is a wireless PCI card. Again, this is a P5Q motherboard.

Oh ya, and i got a lazer temperature reader thingy im gonna check the cards' memory temps with after work today, maybe those results will help with opinions. Are there any other spots on the card i should be checking? this temp reader is accurate and cool as hell heh.

I am still debating on returning this card as the same store has 9800 GX2's for 20 bucks more, unfortunatly out of stock though. Yesterday they had the Saphire version 4870 on sale too :p I really wanted to give an ATI a shot as ive always had nVidia cards/chipsets. I just wanted to to try the intel/ATI combo. So really i dont have a CLUE what i want to do, i guess im looking for some opinions?

Honestly I picked up a HD4870 for my new build last month and I can say that I wish I would have gotten the 9800GX2. It is a better card in most games being released now a days that support dual gpus. The HD4870 is a High-end Low budget card while the 9800GX2 is a High end High performing card at about the same price. The difference in price between the two makes it stupid to not go for the 9800GX2.

thing is EVGA is selling them on their site for around 350 but every site i go to where i can pick up localy is 450-550 for a 9800GX2. canadacomputers has it for 350 BUT all 12 stores are out of stock....

My 4870 came yesterday from newegg. I bought it open box for $205 shipped. Came with the standard stock cooler and have been GPU folding for about 15 hours now without a hitch.

mine will probably do that but probably only at stock speeds.

I just talked to the store, they will only let me return the card without restocking fee IF asus gives me an RMA number. How do you get an RMA number if you fall asleep after being on hold for 90 mins and wake up to a dead line? The guy also said yes, ASUS is now using fans from the 4850, because "its cheaper".

3DMark '06:

3DMark Score 11553
SM 2.0 Score 4902
SM 3.0 Score 6143
CPU Score 2401

seems to me my CPU is lacking? E2200 @~3.0

anyhow, heres your PCB pic, also please have a look at the pic of the card model # ... whats the /A on the end?

Dude return it. Pronto.

My 3dmark06 score was 11,600 with the following:
E2160 @ 3.0ghz
2gb DDR2 800 at stock speeds
4850 at 675/1000.

I got a higher score than you with an inferior card at a lower clock speed with the same processor.

Return it, no questions asked and if the salesman tries to stop you tell him, "It's not performing right, I don't trust it, it doesn't look reference. If you want, exchange it for a Visiontek and you can keep my business".

Just because you LIKE the person who sold you something doesn't mean you should keep it. I"m a salesmen, I can tell you I've sold a LOT of inferior products to people under my "trusty salesman" attitude. I try to recommend better products, but people sometimes don't want to pay for it. Other salesman are not as generous as I am.

REturn it and don't look back.

The guy also said yes, ASUS is now using fans from the 4850, because "its cheaper".

WOW that is just umm... WOW lol

i guess it works @ stock which is all your paying for but not what you want. but still. did you get a RMA # from asus? just tell em it does not work correct your not really liein.. its a pos card NOT what they sold you on.

look at newegg to see the current coolers/pcb they always have updated pics.

from what i can tell, diamond, visiontek, gigabyte still have the stock red oem pcb... the his, and sapphire look to be the same layout but are now green color. all have the stock cooler according to newegg.

i have a sapphire but if i had to buy again i would go with visiontek, life time warrenty ftw.

Have you called Asus tech support to ask them about the fan? I just cannot see Asus putting the 4950 fan on a 4870 with no memory HS's.

ya i talked to an asus rep online. not sure if he knew what he was doing but he said it was a new revision. said "the /a on your model number wont affect the performance of the card". I _definitly_ see this card not performing on par. my quad is a gateway system with crap parts and a BFG 8800gt OC and its GPU scores are way higher. I need an RMA number from asus to return the card to canada computers or i have to pay a $70 restocking fee. But i dont have the kind of time available to sit on hold with asus for over an hour :p

Im almost ready to jsut eat the 70 bucks to return the card and just pick one up from the classifieds here....

ya i talked to an asus rep online. not sure if he knew what he was doing but he said it was a new revision. said "the /a on your model number wont affect the performance of the card". I _definitly_ see this card not performing on par. my quad is a gateway system with crap parts and a BFG 8800gt OC and its GPU scores are way higher. I need an RMA number from asus to return the card to canada computers or i have to pay a $70 restocking fee. But i dont have the kind of time available to sit on hold with asus for over an hour :p

Im almost ready to jsut eat the 70 bucks to return the card and just pick one up from the classifieds here....

$70 restocking fee? Holy crap.....

20% restock fee. $361 with tax before MIR. curse my spontanious spending!

just tell em its defective.. i mean it is... the store kinda has to take it back, if they wont throw a fit in the store and start swearin. they will give you a refund just to shut you up.

/cracks knuckles.

im done work in half an hour, then omw to store. i still cant decide what replacement to get. choices choices.....from MUCH cheaper 8800's to if-i-had-a-wife-she'd-kill-me cards. I figure ill tell them just exchange it for another _different_ card or ill get an RMA# and return it and shop elswhere. Hope that works.

Edit:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3952602&CatId=3775

i dont have access to newegg :p

Back