• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A8V Deluxe Boot Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pawz

Hi all, have a problem with a change im trying to make which id appreciate some help with. I currently have the following spec computer :

Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 4000 +
512 MB DDR (Pretty Cheap)
6800 GT 256 MB
280 W PSU (Again, came with case so pretty low end)
Floppy
DVD-RW Drive
Windows XP SP2

This setup works ok but I do suffer from the occassional random restart of boot failure, but isnt that often so its a problem I have lived with for over a year.

I recently decided to upgrade my ram, so I bought a new set of matches sticks to put into my pc, the details of the ram shown below :

OCZ Ultra High Performance Dual Channel Kit
1 Gb (2 x 512 Mb)
PC3200
Running on the timings 2.5-3-3-7

Aftet getting It I replaced my current ram with this, using the correct slots as per the manual and then when I came to boot - nothing. Fans Spin, Lights come on, but no video on the screen and an error message on the headphones - System Failure CPU error.

I have tried clearing the CMOS then trying each stick seperately but still no boot, when I say no boot nothing appears on the screen, from what I have read on forums it may be my 6800 GT having insufficient power to show anything.

Any help would be appreciated as Im totally stumped by this.

Regards - pawz

Hi all, have a problem with a change im trying to make which id appreciate some help with. I currently have the following spec computer :

Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 4000 +
512 MB DDR (Pretty Cheap)
6800 GT 256 MB
280 W PSU (Again, came with case so pretty low end)
Floppy
DVD-RW Drive
Windows XP SP2

This setup works ok but I do suffer from the occassional random restart of boot failure, but isnt that often so its a problem I have lived with for over a year.

I recently decided to upgrade my ram, so I bought a new set of matches sticks to put into my pc, the details of the ram shown below :

OCZ Ultra High Performance Dual Channel Kit
1 Gb (2 x 512 Mb)
PC3200
Running on the timings 2.5-3-3-7

Aftet getting It I replaced my current ram with this, using the correct slots as per the manual and then when I came to boot - nothing. Fans Spin, Lights come on, but no video on the screen and an error message on the headphones - System Failure CPU error.

I have tried clearing the CMOS then trying each stick seperately but still no boot, when I say no boot nothing appears on the screen, from what I have read on forums it may be my 6800 GT having insufficient power to show anything.

Any help would be appreciated as Im totally stumped by this.

Regards - pawz
For what voltage is your new RAM rated? It's possible that it needs more than the BIOS default of 2.6V to run properly. You could try putting in your old stick of RAM, entering the BIOS setup and changing the VDimm to 2.8V. It might also be worthwhile to manually set the timings to match the specifications of your new RAM. Save the settings, then turn off the computer and try booting with 1 stick of the new RAM in the proper slot.

For what voltage is your new RAM rated? It's possible that it needs more than the BIOS default of 2.6V to run properly. You could try putting in your old stick of RAM, entering the BIOS setup and changing the VDimm to 2.8V. It might also be worthwhile to manually set the timings to match the specifications of your new RAM. Save the settings, then turn off the computer and try booting with 1 stick of the new RAM in the proper slot.

I tried setting the timings manually and trying to boot with the new ram but I failed to try changing the voltage, Ill go and try that now see if it works.

Last edited:
EDIT

The recommended voltage for this ram (taken from thier site) is 2.6 V
I went into bios with my working ram and set it to 2.6 v, then powered off - entered new ocz ram and tried to boot, still nothing.

I also tried replacing my 6800 GT with an older Radeon 9250 But still no joy.

Are you sure that the CPU is running at its stock frequency and the MEMCLK Ratio is set to 1:1 (DDR400 setting)?

Do you have another computer in which you can test the new RAM?

I recommend that you send a PM to the OCZ rep on this forum: SteveOCZ

Good luck!

BTW: Welcome to the forums!!! :)

Cheers for the welcome ;]

Ive already contacted Steve at ocz and I can RMA my ram if needed, I just thought id make sure it wasnt a problem with something else. Ive read on alot of forums that boot failure is caused by something other than the RAM.

Cheers anyway
pawz

:welcome: to OCF! :)

Have you tried the new RAM one stick at a time in the same slot as the old RAM? If it works for one it ought to work for the other.

Reset everything in BIOS back to safe default, make sure your old RAM works with those settings, then replace the old RAM with one stick of new RAM. If that stick doesn't work, try the other one.

BTW - What are the stock timings for the old RAM ...?

:welcome: to OCF! :)

Have you tried the new RAM one stick at a time in the same slot as the old RAM? If it works for one it ought to work for the other.

Reset everything in BIOS back to safe default, make sure your old RAM works with those settings, then replace the old RAM with one stick of new RAM. If that stick doesn't work, try the other one.

BTW - What are the stock timings for the old RAM ...?

Well Im not much of an expert so I left the timings in the bios on auto for the old ram and it worked fine.
I tried the new ram individually in the slot of the old ram and it still didnt work.
Plus I tried clearing the CMOS and then trying each of the sticks, where after the ocz ram failed to boot I just put in my old working ram and hey presto it worked again. Im starting to think its faulty ram so I will probably rma it. Before I do does anyone else have any other ideas? :confused:

Back