• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A8V Deluxe Overclocking Guide -- Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No problem!

What are the specs of your rig?

If you don't plan on using the stock AMD paperweight (HSF) :), remember this:-
Asus use a sticky adhesive on the back of the mother board bracket, so even after getting the screws off you still have to get the bracket to unstick from the motherboard before you can put the new bracket on. And, you should pull it off *GENTLY*.

Last edited:
I had it configured with a Thermaltake Silent Boost K8.

I will see how that works out before I decide on more extreme cooling.

thanks for the tip.

a64 3500 newcastle

2 x 512 mb corsair XMS C2

evga 6800GT

antec true550

2 sata 200 gig drives

should get the job done :)

Had it delivered to my work, just came 30 mins ago, 1 more hour and I'm done !!! then it's play time

xgman is that the latest BIOS update? The North American site lists 1006.xx as the latest. Could be a German specific update.

EagelClaw thats a nice rig there :). Good Luck!

the 1008 beta bios on the german site is for all languages and they frequently post betas before taiwan. it is for all modles of A8V,but I doubt it enables locks in 1.02 like beta 1005.xxx did.

I LOVE this board!!

I just got my rig back together after 3 weeks of "pure badness" due to 2 bogus MSI Neo2 Plats! Just say NO to MSI! The A8V Deluxe is simply AWESOME! Its very stable and I get way killer scores in Sandra.

Sandra memory......5835!!
Sandra cpu...........11100!
Sandra file............106mbs!! (Neo2 NV raid 81mbs, Intel ICH5 86mbs)

wOOOOOOOOOt!

This setup beats my old OC'ed 3.0c @ 3.6c Intel by quite a bit! And this is all stock settings so far!!!

My setup specs....all stock for the moment!
FX-53
ThermalRight XP-90 92mm Tornado
Asus A8V-Deluxe
1 gig OCZ 3700EB
2 74gig Raptors SATA raid "O" VIA onchip raid
BBA X800-XT-PE

MAN! I am VERY HAPPY with this setup. I wonder what it'll be like when I OC it!! :clap: :clap:

Oh yeah, this board is "Rev. 2.0" with AGP/PCI locks, fresh from Newegg yesterday!!!

krag:

Does CPU-Z tell you your Motherboard is revision 1...??

I checked mine and it is rev 2.0...just wondering

EagleClaw said:
krag:

Nope, I haven't downloaded cpu-z yet. The revision is printed on the mobo PCB. do some Sanrda benchies of your setup and post them please?

Everything is at stock:

Sandra CPU - 10,092

Memory 4761

Hard Drive (SATA non RAID) 49mbs

EagleClaw said:
krag:

Yes CPUz says 1.xx. Don't worry about that the print on the board says it all.

Krag: Bro, that FX-53 kills anything that starts with a P :).

Do not use the 10% AUTO OC setting. Although it sets DDR:CPU as 1:1 i.e FSB x Multi= 220 x 11, it is unstable. Note that VCore is automatically set to 1.7!! I was getting way better CPU sandra scores with my 265 x 9.5 settings. The Memory BW is another story. I tried AUTO mem settings and I suppose BW took a big hit. But it was stable. At first I naively tried to set CAS =2.0 (rated 2.5) and it worked for 10 min. Died when I was playing Black Hawk Down.

Prime your systems to see if its *TRULY* stable. Can you guys post SS's of your settings (CPUz or Sandra)?

Thanks to Super Nade my +3500 newcastle and Asus AV8 are overclocking nicely!

I am also running the Asus 1008.001 bios, very smooth so far.

Is this chip a super overclocker or what?

My idle and peak temp's have not moved from what they were at stock.

I am now running 270x9 at 2.43 ghz.....cpu-z reads 221 mhz

Super Nade is that 221mhz the actual ram speed?

I know this chip can go higher but I may not push it yet. MY idle temp is 41c
and it peaks at 58c. btw is 58c a bit high or is that what these have been running?

I ran prime95 for 24 hours and no errors.

Really like this board and this chip

Good One, Eagle!

Now that you have it upto 2.43 (the easy part) try to squeeze every last MHz you can :).

I guess you could try playing with the CPU settings first i.e increase Multi by 0.5 units and increasing VCore by minimal increments. Do not cross 1.7 V with stock cooling. To answer your Q about the RAM, I don't know for sure but my guess would be yes. I don't really see otherwise because the RAM Clock speed is derived from the CPU Clock.

58 C is a bit high. My max ever temp was 54 C (VCore=1.65,MoBo 28 C)@2.51GHz. Apart from the stock HSF what kind of a cooling system do you have? How many case fans and how are they arranged?

Here is a very good stability test after you prime.
I primed overnight and next morning after fooling around with other programs,I tried playing Black Hawk Down without turning prime off and it crashed (no response)!

Although some may argue thats a bit extreme I believe a truly stable system must not crash. On the other hand it may be the quirky XP.

Anyway, good luck and hope you can post screenshots of your Sandra, Super Pi and CPUz results/data.

BTW*That 6800GT Rocks!!!

Last edited:
My case temp is good >30c, Just a 80mm in front and 120mm in the back but the wiring is very neat and I get good air flow.

http://s88500732.onlinehome.us/caseinside.jpg

I use a Thermaltake Silent boost k8, not the best for cooling but it is very quiet.
I have not yet taken it off and put AS5 but I will be when I get time.

My Sandra CPU and Memory are:

http://s88500732.onlinehome.us/CPU.jpg

http://s88500732.onlinehome.us/memory.jpg

CPU-Z stuff here:

http://s88500732.onlinehome.us/cpuzcpu.jpg

http://s88500732.onlinehome.us/cpuzmem.jpg

3dmark05 "5,090" not to bad.

What SuperPI memory reading is most important?

So far besides my CPU temp I am VERY pleased with this motherboard and Chip.

My rig (its arriving over this week)

FX-939
OCZ Platinum Rev.2
AV8 Rev.2.
Antec480W
X800XT
2 SATA 74GB Raptors

Weee. Can't wait.

hey fella's

my sys is in my sig.....just got it up and running last night so i dont have any numbers to contribute yet.....other than my idle cpu and mobo temps wich are 38c/29c respectively...

hopefully this setup will clock nicely...so far its been great at stock speeds compared to the system it replaced !!

edit: i might add i am less than stable at stock speeds though? random bsod - the bsod looks to be memory address'.....i dunno - everything in the bios (ver 1007) is auto or stock - except AI which i have set to manual and left it at stock settings....:confused:

Last edited:
Hello!
Its really hard to pinpoint what could be wrong without the exact error message.If the BSOD spits out a memory error message I'd look at the RAM first. What are the RAM settings i.e. Voltage (VDimm), tRAS,CAS etc?
Run memtest86 for about 10 hours to see if any errors show up. If it does then you need to RMA the memory.If everything's o.k try increasing the vdIMM to 2.7V. Run Prime95 for atleast 14 hours to check for stability at stock speeds. Monitor temprature as you test. If your temps are too high under stress strange things can happen.

Sometimes the PSU can be faulty and cause random shutdowns. Look at your rail voltages and get back to us.

Finally, it could be an ATI driver issue (look at the list o links in post #1 ) or a faulty Windows XP install.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

thanks for the reply.......far cry locks up and reboots now.....this is a clean install of xp - new sata hard drive......

when far cry locks up there is no error message - just a scrambled blue screen and instant reboot.....

the ocz power stream 520 should be fine ? my 12v is showing 11.977, 5v is showing 5.107 and 3.3v is showing 3.296 (all via asus probe)

my vcore fluctuates from 1.52 to 1.536 in asus probe...

my vdimm is set to auto and i think the ocz plat rev 2 is spd set to 2.7v

this makes me a little sad since i cant remember the last bsod on the intel rig.....and ive had too many in the last 2 days :(

edit:

went into the bios to confirm the voltages and asus probe is reading a little low....

1.536 vcore
3.312 3v
5.107 5v
12.480 12v

ddr set to 2.7v / agp set to 1.5v and vlink set to 2.5v

Last edited:
Did you run Memtest and Prime95 if the Memtest was a sucess?
The PS readings are fine, so can cross that off. What remain are:-
1.Memory integrity....check by running Memtest
2.ATI driver issues
3.As a last resort...clear the CMOS and reflash your BIOS.

I can't think of anything else for the moment but will get back to you after I ask a few gurus if these don't work.

Back