• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus CROSSHAIR IV Vs MSI 890FXA-GD70 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muj7860

Registered
Hi there, I'm not sure if theres already a post out there like this or similar but here goes anyway.
I've heard many people saying that the Asus is better because of this and the MSI is better because of that. I just want to get a better understanding of which is better and why...I want to try and cover all the points such as Performance right down to features.
I will be running a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T CPU along with 4 Corsair 2GB modules running at 1333 Mhz DDR3. I will also be putting in a HIS HD 5770 Graphics Card.

If you could tell me which is better and why? that would be great. OR, if theres another Motherboard coming out soon that is in the same price range as these please let me know. Thanks. :)

Well, if this is an opinion thing...I think they are both overpriced and under performing for the money. I'd point you towards any 890fx Gigabyte UD5 or the Biostar TA890FXE. :chair:

If I had to choose between those two...I'd be really upset, but I'd take the Asus.

Of the two I would take the Asus because of the better bios. Im in the same boat you are in. I'm looking for a mobo for a replacement/upgrade paired with a 1090t BE. I think a lot of people might land on the CROSSHAIR IV in the coming months, with there being a low number of high end mobos for amd and people upgrading to the x6.

Well, if this is an opinion thing...I think they are both overpriced and under performing for the money. I'd point you towards any 890fx Gigabyte UD5 or the Biostar TA890FXE. :chair:

If I had to choose between those two...I'd be really upset, but I'd take the Asus.

I understand what your saying I feel the the extra $150 is a bit much for a mobo that is really not going to make the pc that much faster. The CROSSHAIR IV has so many bellsnwhistles that you might not even ever use. And thats what its about, having a lexus LFA over a mustang 5.0 both can be just as fast in a drag race :burn: but the lexus LFA does it looking better with more gadgets that you can shake a stick at.

Of the two I would take the Asus because of the better bios. Im in the same boat you are in. I'm looking for a mobo for a replacement/upgrade paired with a 1090t BE. I think a lot of people might land on the CROSSHAIR IV in the coming months, with there being a low number of high end mobos for amd and people upgrading to the x6.

I understand what your saying I feel the the extra $150 is a bit much for a mobo that is really not going to make the pc that much faster. The CROSSHAIR IV has so many bellsnwhistles that you might not even ever use. And thats what its about, having a lexus LFA over a mustang 5.0 both can be just as fast in a drag race :burn: but the lexus LFA does it looking better with more gadgets that you can shake a stick at.

Agreed...you are paying a bit more for bells and whistles...and thats fine. The Crosshair is a perfectly fine board, just not for me. :D

Just like to say thanks for the replys so far guys. been real helpfull :salute:
and i agree with the comment about it having more bells and whistles...i totally agree with that. It looks like im leaning more towards the Asus....I heard on another thread about some rumours of the Crosshair IV extreme?....or does that lk like a dead end?...How long do you think it'll be before asus release a new crosshair?

I've always had better luck with MSI boards for AMD. I've got the 890GXM-G65 at home with my 1050t.

go with the gig ud5 its priced perfectly
biostar is a great board to. but for what you get the crosshair and the msi are just not worth it.

Thanks so far witht he replys guys. I've made some changes to the set up now. I've decided to go with the Asus board, i've cut back on ram to just 4gbs and also i've ditched the HIS Graphics card and decided to go with the MSI HD 5770 Hawk Graphics card instead. Have i made some bad choices here?
However, im wondering whether or not to get the G-Skill 1600 MHz Ram instead of the Corsair ones, i've heard that the G-skills do run well with the Crosshair, but i've also heard that AM3's run better with 1333 Mhz...So, which one to choose? :confused:

I'm Old School and I've been running Corsair with ASUS for awhile now (see sig) so I'd go for the Corsair's myself - assuming you're getting at least DDR3-1333CL7 ... ;)

I'm Old School and I've been running Corsair with ASUS for awhile now (see sig) so I'd go for the Corsair's myself - assuming you're getting at least DDR3-1333CL7 ... ;)

lol..Hmm...at the moment it was the CL9's but if im going to spend more, should i not go with the Kingston HyperX CL7's instead? arn't they better? I just think they sound cooler but thats just me haha :cool:

crosshair iv all the way, me coming from msi 790fx which was excellent but needed to ensure high htt with a 1055t and civ will do that

crosshair iv all the way, me coming from msi 790fx which was excellent but needed to ensure high htt with a 1055t and civ will do that

Isn't the 890 GA70 rated for higher possible htt then the crosshair? The GA70 says it can overclock the ram to 2133 while the CH only says 2000. That is rated possible htt at 266 compared to the 250 with the crosshair.

i got the msi for about a yr now, and always had raid issues and recently alot of crashes and blue screens .. im usually an asus fan but figured i would try the msi cause of good reviews, and regret not getting the crosshair4. next board i get will be asus

Back