• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Crosshair V - Slow POST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
The problem is NOT Windows, it's definitely the POST.
It takes like 10 seconds after I hit the POWER button for a POST screen (ASUS), then it tells me that unlocker failed (makes no sense as I've disabled it and I'm using an X6 anyway), then after a few seconds it goes to the ASUS POST screen again, then it goes to AHCI device detected, etc...

The whole process takes roughly 30 seconds!! Then, Windows boots up in like 10 seconds on my Vertex 3 240GB.

I have EVERYTHING as far as clocks set to default. I've read elsewhere about this slow start.

My device list:
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB (Windows 7 x64)
WD 500GB SATA
2x Samsung DVD Burners on SATA

No CD/DVD media in the drives, and no Windows installation on the 500GB. OCZ Vertex 3 SSD is set to first boot device.

Any ideas?

I completely disabled all other booting devices, and even tried with the DVD burners unplugged. No go.

I think the initial screen is the eSATA AHCI BIOS, then the full screen logo, then computer information with the core unlocker fail message on the bottom, then full screen logo, then the main SATA AHCI BIOS screen, then windows boots. Something of that order, but man it takes like 30 seconds...

Again, totally confused about the core unlocker as I'm using an X6 and I even disabled the core unlocker in BIOS...

Core unlocker shouldn't be displaying; it didn't with my x6. Disabling 3rd party controllers will make boot time much faster. I have no USB3.0 devices and wasn't using many USB 2.0 ones, so I disabled all USB 3.0, the extra SATA controller and the eSATA controller. Doing so shaved quite a bit off boot time.

Core unlocker shouldn't be displaying; it didn't with my x6. Disabling 3rd party controllers will make boot time much faster. I have no USB3.0 devices and wasn't using many USB 2.0 ones, so I disabled all USB 3.0, the extra SATA controller and the eSATA controller. Doing so shaved quite a bit off boot time.

I may have to disable 3.0 as well. I was wondering if that would make a difference as I don't see why it should be causing much delay anyway. eSata I like having available though...

Still, why does it take at LEAST 10 seconds for video (POST)?? No other motherboard I've had EVER did that. It seems to be only on the ASUS Crosshairs (3 and 4) from googling... and I've got the 5, so it's gotta be a feature of some sort.

And I'm baffled about the core unlocker... it's definitely disabled in the BIOS yet I still get that darn error, on an X6 nonetheless!!

Yea, I have no idea about core unlocker.

The Crosshairs (probably all RoG boards) have the problem because of all those 3rd party controllers. If enabled, all of them need to be initialized one at a time, which seriously slows down the post-POST process (like that? :p ). POST goes quickly, it's initializing all the other stuff they throw on there that takes a while. It's the price enthusiasts pay for extra (and top-of-the-line) connectivity.

Don't laugh but I have no idea what RoG does... haven't had the time to look into it. I thought I disabled that too.

Man, I'm a total OCing newb compared to the avg OCF-er these days...

...trying...not...to...laugh...

RoG = Republic of Gamers. It's just the name of ASUS' top of the line boards. They are equally focused on overclockers at this point, so RoG has just taken on its own meaning as high-end ASUS. On the plus side, it's not something you need to disable. :thup:

There is a ROG something option that I did disable... I'll try to take a peak tonight if I get the chance. :)

Probably RoG Connect. That's the interface between your PC and another PC that you can use to remotely overclock it (for instance, running 3DMarks and you want to drop the CPU speed for the CPU tests). That shouldn't affect boot-up times. At least I don't think it should. Doesn't hurt to leave it disabled.

Just givin' you a hard time brother man. :)

Well, I deserve it... considering I've been having nothing but trouble lately lol...

All you need to disable is the asmedia sata controller in the onboard section, leave the asmedia 3.0 enabled. I dont know why you have core unlocker failed, make sure its disabled in bios, maybe you turned it on by accident so its trying to unlock an x2 to x4. I have ROG on and it doesnt slow my post from what I can tell. You can also disable the rog logo in the boot section of the bios too, I also think there is an option for a delay in seconds once its turned off too

All you need to disable is the asmedia sata controller in the onboard section, leave the asmedia 3.0 enabled. I dont know why you have core unlocker failed, make sure its disabled in bios, maybe you turned it on by accident so its trying to unlock an x2 to x4. I have ROG on and it doesnt slow my post from what I can tell. You can also disable the rog logo in the boot section of the bios too, I also think there is an option for a delay in seconds once its turned off too
The ASMedia SATA controller works with the eSata I believe. I think I had to turn it on and enable AHCI on it, so that I can hot-swap my eSata dock, which I definitely need.

I definitely have core unlocker off, which is why I'm so confused. I've also disabled the full logo, but even still the machine won't BEEP and turn on for about 10 seconds after pushing the power button. The machine works FINE, though... just the slow POST drives me nuts.

I mean... I'm using a very expensive SSD so I can do things lightning fast and move away from using standby/sleep... just a waste of electricity when I use standby so often. I think it pulls about 30 watts when I tested with my Kill-O-Watt device.

The slow POST reminds me of my Asus P5QL Pro board.

It will display the logo for a long time then give me the screen for the Marvell PATA controller then boot OS.

It's broken. Rma it, or live with the pain.

I'm returning my second Crosshair V to newegg today. I just killed it somehow. Crosshair V's seem inherently defective. I'm getting a sabertooth this time. I hope it actuallu works.

Well I've got my Xfi working on it finally, so I'm gonna hold out for now =/

How did yours die? Other than the slow POST and the GREEN audio port, and the BSODs from the NIC driver, it's fine... lol

I fixed the BSOD issue when I analyzed the minidump file... I tried the newest INTEL NIC driver which sucked!!! It would like 1-2 minutes after turning machine on (or coming out of standby) for the internet to work correctly... it would be VERY SLOW for the first 1-2 minutes.

I tried the previous version of the INTEL NIC driver straight from INTEL and the machine has been great since. I gave up on the onboard audio, and I'm dealing with the slow POST...

Read the reviews of this board over Newegg, some users reported the same problem.
Others received it DOA so they didn't complain about POST, since they were never able to boot that thing up, haha.

Well well well, this is my first time back to OCF in about three years. Just bought this motherboard as my good old friend godm@n did and it seems we have the same issues! How have you been my friend? I suppose I should move this over a PM :)

-Collin-

Back