• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus DirectCu II vs MSI Twin Frozr III - (which gives lower temps & higher OC)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think the DCUII will give better temps, however with overclocking headroom, its a crapshoot who can run higher. All cards are different.

The dcu2 is by far a better cooler in my testing of various heat sinks. Overclockability is more on the luck of the draw with the chip than the cooler unless you are hitting a thermal thresh hold.

It is important to note that the dcu2 is a triple slot cooler compared to the tf which is dual slot.

I found a good deal on the MSI for $214.99 AR No Tax and also got in a $20 rebate bringing it down to $194.99!

:D

Last edited:
There is many versions and several revisions from the DCII coolers. So people got different things in mind which is pretty much Asus strategy in order to fool the community, i guess. There is 2 slot and 3 slot coolers, all labeled the same "DCII". So its indeed pretty hard to split them apart from each others.

The DCII attached on the 7850 is a old DCII model, which is 2 slot and actually better at cooling than a TF2. However, at high RPM the 2 fan from the old DCII is a pretty noisy matter. There has been a new revision from the DCII (called DCII TOP) which is lesser noise while maintaining about the same cooling performance. The V.2 (TOP) DCII card may have some increased size at some spots and could be difficult to fit inside some SFF systems.

I would still suggest to get the DCII because the 7850 got so few TDP that the fan may never spin up to any high RPM, and so it will stay pretty quiet. However, the same fan on a 7870 is not entirely quiet anymore and may generate some clear noise. Because that GPU got higher TPD which can only be fully tackled by the new TOP revision of the DCII.

MSI is doing less fooling. The IV is better than the III, and the difference can clearly be seen on its name. Its basically more or less the same cooler on every card. Asus mainwhile may have many revisions, and it cant clearly be said which one is actually attached, so the confusion is perfected.

MSI TF3 is weaker than most versions of DCII, however, the TF4 (used on Lightning and Hawk GPUs) may behave stronger under certain conditions.

Last edited:
I finally isntalled the video card but windows still says it's asus eah5450 but i uninstalled old drivers before though.

looke below

red is the old, black is the new

358auyc.jpg

My experience with the TF III (as I have one) is that even overclocked to 1200 core and 1350 mem, under full load from OCCT, it peaks at 70c, but then sits at 68-69 for the most part. I dunno about the other card.

cool i fixed it! this is waht i did

1. unisntalled drivers
2. reboot safe mode
3. ran driver sweaper
4. ran driver cleaner PE
5. ran CCleaner
5. ran windows 7 manager registry tools and deleted all "eah5450" entries
6. reboot normal mode
7. ran atiman uninstaller
8. reboot normal mode
9. everything shows amd radeon 7800 series even though I didn't install the drivers yet??!?
10. device manager shows the driver version is 8.961.0.0.

Do I need to install the latest ATI drivers/CCC?

Last edited:
Back