• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus G60vX or G60jX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Baby3ater666

Hi guys, as my title states I'm trying to decide whether I should return my Asus G60vx and get the new G60jx. Both are from Best Buy and the main difference is that the jx model sports the new Intel Core i5 and an nVIDIA GTS 360m, the vx sports an Intel Core 2 Duo which OC's to 2.3 but is equipped with the nVIDIA GTX 260m. It's still within the return period and the price difference is an additional $150. I heard that the GTX 260m beats the GTS 360m but I need to know if I'll get even better performance gaming wise if I go with the G60jx over my current G60vx. Thanks!

Hi, did you make a decision? I had the same choice when I saw the upgraded G60jx on Best Buy. I had purchased the vx 10 days ago. Searching Best Buy's web site I assumed they had a 15% restocking fee but I called the store to ask anyway and they said they don't have that fee for returns anymore (there is a 14 day return policy). So anyway, because there was no restocking fee I returned my G60vx model and got the jx instead (I had paid $899 US for the vx and the jx is $999). The exchange was hassle free at my Best Buy store.

You already know the differences. I liked the 500 gb hd vs 320 gb (still 7200 rpm), Core i5 and upgraded video card (360m vs 260m). Dimensions appear the same and physical appearance is the same. From the Best Buy specs, the jx is 7.5 pounds vs 7.2 pounds for the vx. The screen resolution is still 1366*788.

The fan on the left side pumps out less heat with the 360m vs 260m. I guess that will change once I make the system work more. I think the fan is in a good place even though I'm left handed. I've reinstalled Crysis but not played it yet. I did not play much with the speaker settings when I had my vx but I thought it was too quiet. The jx seems louder (but again, I have not played with any settings beyond volume). The backlit keyboard is still there.

If you buy the jx I'd recommend logging on to the Asus support site and picking up the newest version of the Recovery software. Search their support site for "AVRecovery" (or you can find it on the support section for your model). I tried twice to create the recovery DVDs and got locked up. I called ASUS support (24 hour support) and they recommended that I download/install the newest version of AVRecovery. After I did that, I got through the recovery process/burned the 3 DVDs. The vx model came with a recovery dvd and a couple other dvds but the jx model did not come with any dvds (and no recovery dvd is available from ASUS they told me -- although it is on the hard drive partition).

The system has the usual amount of BloatWare. One new item is "Best Buy Software Installer" a program designed to manage software addons. I Googled it and then deleted it. I don't think the jx comes with that Linux based quick startup ASUS software. At least I did not get it at startup on the jx like I did on the vx.

The jx Windows 7 performance scores are:
Processor: 6.7
Memory: 5.9
Graphics: 6.8
Gaming Graphics: 6.8
Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

Other than my initial problem creating the backup DVDs I did have the system give me the Blue Screen once today. I was in IE8, had created a new folder and then it hung up. I don't blame ASUS for that though.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions, but basically I'd say the vx and jx are the same laptop with the 3 noteable upgrades and other minor ones.

Peter

Last edited:
I really do like the difference in CPU but I saw that the GTX 260M beats the GTS 360M by a fair amount. Is this true? I really want to make sure that I have a laptop that is gaming capable as the G60vx if not better.

G73!

Hey guys! Well I first exchanged the G60Vx for the G60Jx but then I saw the G73Jh at Best Buy! $1199 for a Core i7 along with an ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5870! I got it and am so thankful that I did! Being a Best Buy Reward Zone Premier Silver Member really does have it's advantages! No restocking fees! :D I highly recommend this laptop to anyone looking for a laptop that is capable of maxing MW2 with 4aa, BC2 runs on max settings with 4aa at about in the 40's which is definately impressive! I have yet to test out the one and only Crysis on this but by far this laptop is not disapointing! The Core i7 is stock at 1.6GHz but in Turbo mode can go up to about 2.8GHz and with Asus's own Power4Gear allows you to overclock it to probably about 3.0GHz! The cooling in this thing is absolutely amazing as well! Much more aesthetically pleasing with the stealth fighter inspire designed laptop! The speakers are much louder then the previous G series and it also has a built in subwoofer at the bottom of the laptop that I haven't really bothered to check out yet.

Windows Experience Rating is:

Processor: 7.0
Memory (RAM) 7.2
Graphics: 7.2
Gaming Graphics: 7.2
Primary Hard Disk: 5.9 :bang head

The only thing left to do is save up for an SSD! :attn:

the g73 is a beast. The mobile 5870 is very much like a 5750 or 5770 desktop part. Good choice. I have to ask, why do you need such a beefy laptop?

I'm past my 14 day BB return period on the jx. I'm just a regular rewards member and don't think I get that 45 day return period.

The newer g73jh on Best Buy's web site says it weighs the same as the g60jx now (7.5 pounds). Its physically larger (2.2*12.6*16.3 vs 1.6*10.4*14.8) so does it still feel as sturdy/strong as the g60?

When I look it up on BB's web site, the $1,200 model says "coming soon" although the $1,600 model with the extra RAM and 1 TB drive is available now online.

Computer Shopper did a review of the $1,600 model. This does not appear to be the BB one though since the CS reviewed model is 1080p and has BlueTooth. Its strange that its the same price bracket though. The CS reviewed model also says its 7.4 pounds.

Peter

Last edited:
It's suprisingly about the same weight as the G60's. It is fairly thin considering it's sheer size as a 17.3 laptop. I love power and I love to see my video games in all their glory. I'm a big guy, 6'5 so the size of it doesn't really bother me LOL. :D

It's a really great laptop and I'm really enjoying it! It gets nowhere as hot compared to the G60's. I was lucky when I got this because I happened to see them pulling out 2 of them on the floor and picked it up! Don't know why Best Buy lists it as "Coming Soon".

I looked at the specs for the $1599 version and you're just better off buying an SSD. It is indeed a Best Buy compared to those overpriced Alienwares and Dells.

Now I just need to find a new case that fits it. You would think that cases would be included with all laptop purchases.

Back