• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS g73jh-a2 ordered today!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Disappointment....

So I received my G73 and am proud to post the following:

HL2 and Portal, 16xaa, 16xaf, 1920x1200 res, not even a stutter, no matter what I do.

Oblivion modded all to hell with new textures, max rez, HDR, and 10 cells generating at a time instead of 5 (removing LOD almost altogether), and the only hiccup is long loading times from all those extra cells.

And then the unthinkable.

I became a victim of PSOD. Why? Because of the resolution change when RESTARTING THE COMPUTER. Half the screen went squiggly, the other half inverted all the colors, and it's a hardware failure of the LCD controller. Once it occurs, it persists forever, even in bios.

This is becoming more and more common as people receive their G73. I have to send it off on RMA today...

I wont lie... I'm afraid... don't wanna lose the lighted keyboard o_O

Yea I had a buddy of mine try it first and he didnt have an issue, so i followed. Still have my lights, but i have heard some people lose them.

So I received my G73 and am proud to post the following:

HL2 and Portal, 16xaa, 16xaf, 1920x1200 res, not even a stutter, no matter what I do.

Oblivion modded all to hell with new textures, max rez, HDR, and 10 cells generating at a time instead of 5 (removing LOD almost altogether), and the only hiccup is long loading times from all those extra cells.

And then the unthinkable.

I became a victim of PSOD. Why? Because of the resolution change when RESTARTING THE COMPUTER. Half the screen went squiggly, the other half inverted all the colors, and it's a hardware failure of the LCD controller. Once it occurs, it persists forever, even in bios.

This is becoming more and more common as people receive their G73. I have to send it off on RMA today...

Have you tried switching your power profile? Not sure if its connected, but someone on notebook review said it helped- Here

Have you tried switching your power profile? Not sure if its connected, but someone on notebook review said it helped- Here

Yeah, unfortunately it's affecting things before the power profiles load; it occurs in POST and BIOS, too. I fiddled with them anyway, but no joy. I'm willing to bet that the person who "fixed" it with power profiles will be in my shoes later.

Sorry to hear that- How long until you noticed the error? Ive had mine for a few days- so far ive had trouble with the bios and graphics, but upgrading to 209 fixed all of the issues, and now im using some 10.6? beta drivers and they work great. The only thing is I lose internet connection when streaming movies sometimes...might be my wireless router though.

But other than that its a beast, ive been able to run all of my games on the highest settings and im very pleased...i think some of these issues could have been ironed out before they released it though.

Just updated the bios to 209, no issues thus far. Bout to update to 10.5 ATI drivers, but as of yet, I have had no GSOD people complain about :)

Good to hear, i think most people lost their keyboard lights updating to 206 or something. I only had 1 gsod with 10.3/4 drivers, but these beta ones havent failed me yet.
Now i should just be content with what i got, but theres a decent 80gig ssd for sale on classifieds, maybe I'll consider it :beer:

10.5 is out non-beta as of yesterday, or the day before. used the 3dguru driver sweeper program to ensure it was clean, then installed. havent had much of a chance to test it, due to family stuff, but I'm sure it'll be tested this weekend. I think the nicest thing about the 209 bios is that the GPU is finally down-clocking itself, depending on load, on the lower power settings. should help couch-web-surfing time increase some :)

So a couple weeks later and im starting to get GSOD and now rollingback to original drivers i get PSOD alt+tabbing. It only lasts a few seconds, but im starting to regret purchasing now lol. It seems it just goes downhill, im not sure if i want to RMA it, or get my money back. Ive found a lot of people are getting these errors- maybe they released these too soon

So a couple weeks later and im starting to get GSOD and now rollingback to original drivers i get PSOD alt+tabbing. It only lasts a few seconds, but im starting to regret purchasing now lol. It seems it just goes downhill, im not sure if i want to RMA it, or get my money back. Ive found a lot of people are getting these errors- maybe they released these too soon

mine is still running strong... and I got an email saying my 7 euro HDD caddy shipped (for 20 euros shipping................) from europe this morning! Next on the block is a second drive for Win7 Enterprise, and possibly a second partition for linux and such :)

mine is still running strong... and I got an email saying my 7 euro HDD caddy shipped (for 20 euros shipping................) from europe this morning! Next on the block is a second drive for Win7 Enterprise, and possibly a second partition for linux and such :)

good to hear - i just dropped mine off at UPS for a refund at tigerdirect. I think i might order another but from xoticpc in a few months lol. i ordered a backpack too thats supposed to be here in a couple days so that pisses me off lol.

good to hear - i just dropped mine off at UPS for a refund at tigerdirect. I think i might order another but from xoticpc in a few months lol. i ordered a backpack too thats supposed to be here in a couple days so that pisses me off lol.

maybe I dont feel so bad for shelling the money out at BestBuy... after I found out about the Bing cashback on the Tiger Direct one making it almost the same price, I wasnt thrilled... specially cause I got the 1600x900 screen...

I was honestly hoping the bios update would brick mine, cause then I could try for the LG screen :p

Well if u want a dell xps backpack let me know lol. Tried to tell shipper to cancel my order 1 day prior, but conveniently he shipped right before he looked at my email :mad:

Oh well

Thats good to hear.

Sadly, this laptop will be the equivalent of my rig from 4 years ago.

I had a 3.5Ghz OC'd C2D with 8800GTS and Raid 0 WD Raptors... looked up the 3dMark scores and they were nearly identical. Oh well, the price I pay for "portability".

Thats good to hear.

I had a 3.5Ghz OC'd C2D with 8800GTS and Raid 0 WD Raptors... looked up the 3dMark scores and they were nearly identical. Oh well, the price I pay for "portability".

granted, I don't have any of the 'hardcore' games that require some real horsepower... but it handles everything I want to play just fine. From Mass Effect (1+2), Dragon Age, etc... sometimes I give the macbook pro a break from work, and bring the G73 instead. I play everything on max

I was all excited to get mine, but after the experience i had with it , i dont think ill ever get another from asus.

No joke- they just answered my first email i sent in around the beginning of june yesterday LMAO-
"Sorry we had a system error" - I call bs im not even going to reply....
Luckily i had called but all they could say is that it needed to be replaced. So instead of doing that I just returned it and got my money back. I think Bluefalcon has had a pretty good experience with his, but you should definitely check out the issues this laptop has had.

Heck even the O.P. had to RMA his too. Not trying to scare you off, just giving you some fair warning.

Has Asus really gone that far down the drain in the few year's I've been gone?

IIRC they were pretty prompt with an RMA I had a while back.

Thats good to hear.

Your kidding right? My desktop at home is better than your rig and I honestly feel like my G73jh-A2 is as fast if not faster. Especially in fallout 3. Maxed out 1080p with 8AA 16AF ultra settings HDR. I can't really do AA or AF on my desktop at home. The specs are in my sig.

I so fr love my G73. Only problem I have had was the Creative software with Steam issue. Whenever Steam would open my comp would just lock up. So I uninstalled the creative junk and have had no issues since.

Back