• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS g73jh-a2 ordered today!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkPurity

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I had much to post; I've been getting by on a Dell Inspiron 1520 with an nVidia 8600m for about 3 years, and the last machine I put together worth mentioning was my X2 4400, 7800GTX SLI rig. I feel almost like a traitor that I was one of the first 2000 people in Club SLI and now I'm buying ATI.

After years of use and abuse, both are now smoldering wrecks. The X2 went through PSUs (even trusty OCZ and Enermax....) until the Big Typhoon cooler backplate sheared its screwholes from years of weight... :burn:

As for the 1520, if anyone's had one go out for the worst reason ever, you already know that the solder where the power socket connects to the mobo on these models is little more than silver superglue and corrodes relatively quickly for solder. It shorted and took the motherboard with it.

I haven't been able to "talk geek" about a computer in awhile so be ready for some lengthy :blah: from me.

After 3 months of only having access to a Celeron 1.8ghz with 512mb of RAM and a P4 with the same, neither of which has a standalone GPU, I finally landed a job. Problem is, I don't get paid till May 17 and I have to have a rather high-end laptop for work.

It looks like the G73jh-a2 from Asus is the best for the money on the market, but it's on crazy backorder at every store in existence. As I'm sure you know, it's been like this since January and they now report a 6-8 week lead time. This kinda works out, as I can't pay for it for 3 weeks (I'm trying to surf XoticPC's pre-order "don't pay till it's ready to ship" policy).

But on to the fun. I had to go with default config, but I plan to sell the still-functioning parts of my 1520 (the 1680x1050 14.1" display, the 8600m, etc) to help cover getting an SSD in the future. I couldn't afford to spring for SSD or Blu-Ray quite yet, as the laptop itself breaks the bank for me. It will be used for game design, 3d modeling, multiple programming IDEs, audio editing, and 3d Engine work with OGRE and probably its C# buddy, MOGRE. And naturally, pwning f00ls. It'd just be improper not to.

Questions are:

1. Will using 8GB of 1066mhz versus 1333mhz be noticeable? The last time I bothered with RAM frequencies was overclocking the DDR 400 on the X2!

2. Does the built-in overclocking ability of the i7-720qm put significant limits on manual overclocking? Is it like the X2, where the weakest of the cores is the ceiling for performance, or are the cores handled differently?

3. Does anyone have this model, and if so, is the cooling system they're so proud of on Asus' site (and it does look fantastic) efficient enough to negate the usefulness of a laptop cooler?

4. I have an extra license of Win7 Professional that my school gave me before I graduated last fall (well, MSDNAA). It's never been activated. This machine comes with Win7 Home. Is it worth using the license to upgrade it on arrival?

5. This motherboard doesn't seem to have a RAID controller on it, from what I've read. Still, it's standard with 2x500GB 7200RPM drives. I know Win7 has a "soft-RAID" of sorts; is this similar in performance to RAID 0, or am I better off just using the unused space for storage and Ubuntu?

6. For my purposes, what sort of performance change will I have between my Inspiron 1520 and this machine in regards to applications like Maya, OpenGL development, Direct3D programming, and 3dsMAX?

Last edited:
Im about to order the same laptop from xotic...wish the wait time wasnt so long though :/. Called sales yesterday and they gave me a 4-6 week lead time once i got in line for one so maybe you might get yours quickrer. I guess i cant complain though they have had the best pricing that I could find, plus the warranty isnt too bad and you get the backpack and razor mouse included. Im also shooting for the default config but plan on swapping one 500gb for a 160ssd. Plus i dont really need a blueray player so ill prob get the A2 version

Might be able to help with a few questions:

The 1333mhz wont make a difference in my opinion..I would stick with the1066. i dont think its worth the extra $220

My friend has one (custom90gt)- we played Battlefield Bad company 2 for at least 3 hrs one night and it stayed cool and quiet...i am definitly impressed with the cooling system. No need for a cooling pad, but you should check it out yourself.

I think this laptop will blow the 1520 out of the water especially with the i7 core.

So far, from what I can tell, there isn't any Manual OCing from the bios, but turning on Asus 'Turbo' which seems to be about a 7% OC. Intel Tubro Boost while adjust itself the whole time, unless there is a steady load across all cores. When I fold on it, (using all logical cores 100%) temps top out around 70-75C (thats 100% cpu usage, Asus Turbo mode, and running at ~1.7ghz on all cores/threads. Cooling is amazing for a lappy, to say the least.

Intel turbo boost only works when there are un-utilized cores. Basically, if you have 4 cores, and are only heavily using one core, it down-clocks the 3 lightly used cores, and boosts the one core that is getting a heavy load. The ultimate goal of this is higher clock speeds while maintaining the same heat output/TDP

Now, as far as performance. Mine wouldnt compare to the one you are looking at buying per say, even though most of the core hardware is the same. I bought the BestBuy model (crappy warrenty, crap shoot on the screen quality, lower rez screen (1600x900 vs 1920x1080), only 6GB [one open ram slot] ram, only 1 HDD (same 500G 7200RPM), no second HDD caddy). I got lucky/unlucky. Mine came with the lesser quality screen, but also came with the 6GB of 1333. Some only have 1033, some have the better screen and better ram, so its a crap shoot if you go the bestbuy route. I can tell you, with the basic stock BestBuy version, I got an average of 25fps with max settings (minus Vsync) in crysis/crysis: warhead at 1600x900. The GFX card in the G73 performs about the same as the 5770 desktop GPU, and the GTX260-216 desktop GPU

I almost bought the bb verson for $1200, but i figured if i was going to spend that much i might as well throw in a few hundred more for the screen. I figure hd and mem arent that big of a deal to upgrade, but the screen would be. Have you had any problems with performance after using the turbo button? Ive heard complaint that if its turned on with battery on, then plugged in it will slow down a bit- (or something to that effect).

I almost bought the bb verson for $1200, but i figured if i was going to spend that much i might as well throw in a few hundred more for the screen. I figure hd and mem arent that big of a deal to upgrade, but the screen would be. Have you had any problems with performance after using the turbo button? Ive heard complaint that if its turned on with battery on, then plugged in it will slow down a bit- (or something to that effect).

I have actually experienced this.. basically, after X% of battery left (or so it seems with how I experienced it..), while folding w/ turbo on while on battery power, it down clocked itself to ~700mhz (I was attempting to drain the battery as the beast stays plugged in and downstairs, folding while at work, or gaming while my daughter naps/whatever). To be honest, I love the thing, and I DID get the crappy screen, so I figure, I'll end up upgrading the screen in a year or so, to the 1080p model. I've already upgraded the RAM from 6gig (3/4 slots) to 8gig (4/4 slots), and I am contemplating buying an HDD caddy from overseas, so I can install a second drive, and run that as my work partition, incase the MBP blows up or something :p

Def suggest getting a second hd for it....Does it not come with a caddy for each drive on that model?
Still havent been able to order it yet- missed a 15% Bing cashback for the A1/A2 models from tiger direct....was out of town w/out any internet. Hopefully they will go on sale again.

Def suggest getting a second hd for it....Does it not come with a caddy for each drive on that model?
Still havent been able to order it yet- missed a 15% Bing cashback for the A1/A2 models from tiger direct....was out of town w/out any internet. Hopefully they will go on sale again.

not in the BestBuy model unfortunately... it seems there is a EU website where a retailer actually sells the 'replacement' HDD Caddy/bracket for ~$30(US) which includes shipping... thinking about picking that up, so I can get a small 'meh' 32G SSD for a second OS install :p

I figure that SSD would make an alright drive in an external enclosure once I decide to move up to a bigger SSD for that slot (ultimately would like a decent, but not bank-breaking 64G SSD, which I could break into 2 partions, one for Win7 Home, and the other for Win7 Enterprise) so that I could join my work's domain, while still keeping my Win7 install used at home for gaming without all those dirty domain rules...

Finally ordered my G73 from tiger direct today!! I used bing to get 12%cash back too. I ordered the X3 model, which comes with 1 640gb hd instead of the two 500gigs, and no bag or mouse which brought my total down to 1350 so i was pretty pleased. I figured i was going to swap out one of the 500's with a SSD anyhow so why would i need the extra drive. Now i need to find a bag to fit a 17" monster. Any suggestions?

I really wish i could purchase the G73 asus bag seperately :/ but so far I've only seen it with the A2 and A1 models.

Finally ordered my G73 from tiger direct today!! I used bing to get 12%cash back too. I ordered the X3 model, which comes with 1 640gb hd instead of the two 500gigs, and no bag or mouse which brought my total down to 1350 so i was pretty pleased. I figured i was going to swap out one of the 500's with a SSD anyhow so why would i need the extra drive. Now i need to find a bag to fit a 17" monster. Any suggestions?

I really wish i could purchase the G73 asus bag seperately :/ but so far I've only seen it with the A2 and A1 models.

Sweet! Last friday I picked up a G60jx from BestBuy - first thing I did was pull the stock drive (500g 7200.4) and drop in a 320g WD black drive. I have a 60g SSD on order, so that going to replace the Black later this week. I have to say, I have never used a laptop that was as power as a desktop before. I am VERY happy with this thing. While I opted for the smaller G60 Vs G73, I'm impressed with the GPU (360m) this thing has. plays BC2 and COD5 great.

I'm thinking about picking up a i5 540m or 620m and pulling the 430m though. I guess this laptop is just the next "step" for me. I enjoy playing around with hardware and having a nice laptop is something that is pretty new to me.

it's going to make LANs this summer more enjoyable, my laptop, keyboard and mouse fit into an old padded messenger bag I had left over from college.

Have any of the other owners of the G73 tried updating to Catalyst 10.4 drivers? There is a big thread over on notebook review about people getting GSOD's if they use anything but the stock drivers. It appears that flashing your vBios to another manufacturer seems to fix it but it messes up HDMI VGA output from your laptop since it isn't an ASUS vBios.

Some people don't have this problem. I have kept the stock drivers for now because I don't want to find out if I get the GSODs right now.

Have any of the other owners of the G73 tried updating to Catalyst 10.4 drivers? There is a big thread over on notebook review about people getting GSOD's if they use anything but the stock drivers. It appears that flashing your vBios to another manufacturer seems to fix it but it messes up HDMI VGA output from your laptop since it isn't an ASUS vBios.

Some people don't have this problem. I have kept the stock drivers for now because I don't want to find out if I get the GSODs right now.

I havent heard of this one yet. What version of the G73 did u pick up?

been running 10.4 since it was released, and I personally havent had any issues... I bought the BestBuy model, ended up with the crappy screen, but the 1333 RAM. Also, it came with the 205 bios, and only issue I have seen with mine to date is the CPU throttling once battery starts to get low (even after plugging in the laptop) which is a known issue, and supposedly has Asus looking into it.

I am still on the stock drivers I was just wondering if either of you here had issues with the 10.4 drivers. I might try to update them tonight and see how my laptop does.

Just got mine about4 hrs ago!! After taking off all the BS software and reinstalling my own OS I have to say this is one of the best laptops Ive seen and im very impressed. I did have a little trouble with the drivers, but the utility/driver disk it comes with helped out (if you can traverse thru all the extra software on it and find them). Asus website is terrible in my opinion for downloading drivers- but anyhow im just installing my games and other apps right now. I just put on the 10.4 too so ill let you know how they are for me.

I installed the 10.4 drivers and they are working great on my machine so far. I have played many hours of Supreme commander, Bad Company 2, and Starcraft II without issue.

Make sure you do a full uninstall of the previous drivers. If you need to get the original video drivers you can get them from the asus site. I downloaded them before I installed the 10.4 in case I needed to roll back.

I love this laptop:rock:

Had my first crash with 10.4 today. I rolled back to the stock drivers and it works fine. I might try them again, maybe i didnt do a full uninstall of the original. This is my first time with ATI...Im not sure how to fully uninstall - any tips?

Had my first crash with 10.4 today. I rolled back to the stock drivers and it works fine. I might try them again, maybe i didnt do a full uninstall of the original. This is my first time with ATI...Im not sure how to fully uninstall - any tips?

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

That should work with both nVidia, and ATI. I have not had any issues with crashes to date. I didn't run driver sweeper either, but then again, I am running off of factory install with the junkware removed (kept some of the Asus Bloatware, as I find its features useful). Guide I used for the bloatware removal was this:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html

Other than pulling some of the crapware, all I have done is update a few drivers and install steam and some other programs that I have on all my computers. Hardware wise, I tossed in a 2gig 1333 stick (from Gskill) to make my BestBuy model have 8 gigs of ram, but really haven't noticed much of a difference.

What Bios version are you running? CPUz should tell you under the mobo section... I'm still on 205 at the moment

Back