• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS g73jh-a2 ordered today!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just got it in today. Big thumbs up to Amazon.com and compusa! 3 day shipping with expedited!

Wow. This thing is HUGE. I bought a bigger laptop case and a targus dual fan lap pad for it. So far no games installed, it's got the 206 bios.... I think I'll run it for a while and see if I get a GSOD.

So far, I don't like how the keyboard only lights up once you're in windows. So much junk tooo...

My SSD needs to come in so I can do a fresh install.

Yes it comes with so much bloatware- i reinstalled a fresh copy of windows7 and it ran great..up until it crashed lol. Let us know if you experience any issues.

EDIt:
Which version did u get maviryk?

Last edited:
I just got it in today. Big thumbs up to Amazon.com and compusa! 3 day shipping with expedited!

Wow. This thing is HUGE. I bought a bigger laptop case and a targus dual fan lap pad for it. So far no games installed, it's got the 206 bios.... I think I'll run it for a while and see if I get a GSOD.

So far, I don't like how the keyboard only lights up once you're in windows. So much junk tooo...

My SSD needs to come in so I can do a fresh install.

All the dual fan pad is gonna do is cool your HDDs and RAM (for the most part). This beast is a top breather, and if you look carefully enough, in the hinge is where the heatsinks draw the most air. I'm sure some does snake its way into the fans from the bottom, but not a whole lot. Either way, the beast runs pretty cool... GPU gets a bit warm under a heavy load, but CPU never tops 75C, and mine has never been more than slightly warm to the touch (wish my macbook pro was like that :p )

Wow... I looked up the disassembly video guide... Pretty amazing.

Air does flow into the bottom too tho. I tested out last night.

Bought the G73JH-X3 version. Didn't care too much for backpack or mouse. HD's are going to get replaced with a SSD and 500GB.

Looking at the serial numbers it appears mine was produced May '10. It may be one of the earlier glitchy batches. Will find out how well it does in two weeks when SC2 comes out.

Wish the monitor was a little better quality.. not as vibrant as my Samsung 215TW and it has quite a bit of backlight bleed.

I want one of these laptops to replace my current lappy and desktop!

But I don't want a lemon :(

Updates from the current owners?

Mine is doing just fine...

I updated to the 209 Bios, but haven't updated the CCC drivers.

It's pretty sweet piece of machinery, but, do NOT think for a second that you can go w/o the powercord.

I'm still keeping my Toshiba for work.

Some weird issues with my SSD install, but I am lead to believe it was an issue with the SSD and not the laptop.

Another issue, I can't figure out how to disable the onscreen display when I change the volume or screen brightness. Very annoying when you're playing an oldschool game at the wrong color.

So far, 9/10 satisfaction with the laptop.

I want one of these laptops to replace my current lappy and desktop!

But I don't want a lemon :(

Updates from the current owners?

Mines rocking and a rolling. I bought the Bestbuy model ( 1600x900 screen), updated to 209 bios, and been running current ATI reference drivers since day one. Everything still functional, but I did have to remove the Creative drivers to get Dragon Age to stop crashing on launch.

I think most people run into issues when they try to upgrade their CCC.

I had to flash my GPU bios to a modded one found on the notebookreview forums,
"Asus vBIOS v3", in order to run Catalyst 10.7 drivers.

It "feels" like it's running faster now, not sure.

List of problems/solutions for Asus G73JH

Last edited:
Back