• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus K8V with SATA II Drives: Compatible When in SATA I Mode?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenithon

Hi All. I need to get a new drive for my system which has an Asus K8V mobo. It uses the VT8327 SATA controller and I know that the board is not SATA II compatible, however according to the Asus site it should work with SATA II drives with the jumpers set to SATA I mode.

I have seen though in different forums on the net that some boards do not work with these drives even though they are meant to, so just wanted to check if anyone has had problems running SATA II drives in SATA I mode on the K8V range of mobos. In particular I am going to buy a 160GB HDD: since the availability is limited here in my country, they now only stock the new SATA II drives and not the older SATA I models. My choice at the moment is between a Seagate 7200.9 and an Hitachi T7K250.

Cheers,
X

Back