• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS M3A76-CM with a 4890???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djlst

Registered
Hey guys,
Kind of getting over the old sb600 issues like slow HD's and USB with the rig in my sig, and now that ethernet is dropping in and out I think its time for a new board.

I purchased my 4890 2 weeks ago and am now practically broke but needing reliable internet/storage/usb speed etc for uni.

I have a little I was going to put towards a pII 720 or 920 but am now thinking getting away from the sb600 should come first.

I am after something cheap! But that will not limit my GPU when pared with a pII. Just to last me through the next 6 months or so until I am ready to go DDRIII.

This board has everything I desire...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131376
And can be found at my local in Australia.
Will it meet my gaming/web surfing requirements??

Is there anything else you would recommend?

Thanks for any help!

Anyone??
Comments seem good at newegg.
I just don't want to be going backwards performance wise.
Usage is mostly watching movies, games like empire total war, COD5, Fallout 3, web surfing and Microsoft office suit.

I'm sure it'll be fine. My mATX board is fine. And its a fair few models (understatement) below that one. Runs my system perfectly well. so I don't see why that board would limit you in anyway.

If it's 'bearable' i'd say stay with what you have, and wait a couple of months, and go a new build? AM3 - DDR3, PII 720 X3. That said, you're looking at about what, 450 odd there? Depending what store what board, etc.

GIGABYTE MA790XT-UD4P AM3 (~$200).
Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A 4GB (~$100).
AMD Phenom II X3 Triple Core 720 (~$200).

Ok so like 500 but big deal haha. :p.

I searched the store I usually go through, and they have that board for AUD 127. (your linked one).

So really its what you can deal with. If you work enough to save a bit over the next 2 months, I'd say itd be worth it to wait. However like you said, 6 months, so probably the board you linked is suitable for now. Up to your personal preference really.

I set up a M3A76-CM as a new pc for my in-laws, however due to my ab9 quadgt being RMA'd I used it for about 2 weeks with my 3870 and had absolutely no issues, great inexpensive board.

Back