• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M4A785TD-M Evo + Athlon II X4 630 unstable at stock.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shilent

Registered
Hi, I hope someone could help me. This is the first time ever I had an unstable mobo/CPU with everything at stock. Prime95 crashes anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour. core 1 and 2 crashed so far which leads me to believe it's not a weak core.

The only thing I can think of is heat. The mosfets doesn't have any heatsinks and so far the highest I read with my infrared was over 70C. I placed an extra fan the the side panel of my Antec 900 to see if it helps and now Prime95 ran for an hour and 30 minutes (30 minutes longer).

Now I wanna place heatsinks on the mosfets. I have many small heatsinks laying around but this board makes it damn near impossible. I gonna need 20 very very small heatsinks. I tried using a small (I thought was small until this board) heatsink to cover 2-3 mosfets at a time but there's resistors that's taller in the way.

Anyone got any ideas?

You can get small individual solid copper heatsinks for mosfets from Sidewinder computer, 10 for about $13 I think. The come with adhesive pads.

But if I were you I wouldn't count on default settings being necessarily stock. It's usually smarter to set the individual voltages and frequencies manually after you do some research and establish what the stock numbers should be.

If these aren't small enough then the only thing to do is dig out an old aluminum block heatsink and start cutting. ;)

On the other side of the coin you should probably go into BIOS and set at least the vCore and cpuNB VID manually. Try 1.30v and 1.15v, respectively. A lot of boards do very odd things when they're on Auto ... :-/

Back