• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS M4A78T-E Bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's a decent motherboard, but I really regret not spending a bit more for a FX board. Right now I am waiting for some nvidia chipsets and prices to go down.

It will happen once more manufacturers make more AM3 boards.

Hey I was wondering does anyone know if the 3 pin fan connectors can support 2 fans in a "Y" cable adaptor.

I know there are 3 of them, 2 labeled chasis fan, the other labeled power. At the moment I am assuming that the power one should be able to support more than one while the chasis ones are more weak, but does anyone know for sure? Thanks in advance!

I'm having MAJOR issues still w/ the system I built for my brother.
ASUS M4A78T-E
Phenom II 945

The damn system will freeze during prime95 blend no matter WHAT settings I try... I've tried a TON, posted here too. link

I know what you mean bro. I'm no pro at overclocking but I consider myself to be quite decent, the thing is this board is so frustrating to me that I am seriously considering buying a new mobo and ram sometime in the near future.

Right now I keep failing at prime blend in 2-3 hours and I have tried a circus amount of configurations playing with ram, ht, and cpu-nb and I still cant get anything super stable. I think either my ram has just has bad latency timings or the mobo is bad.

Honestly I think the board is just terrible at overclocking =(. But keep on trying and good luck!

I believe version 1201 of the bios I ran prime blend for hours just fine, I am also thinking about reverting back to that bios and running some tests.

I know what you mean bro. I'm no pro at overclocking but I consider myself to be quite decent, the thing is this board is so frustrating to me that I am seriously considering buying a new mobo and ram sometime in the near future.

Right now I keep failing at prime blend in 2-3 hours and I have tried a circus amount of configurations playing with ram, ht, and cpu-nb and I still cant get anything super stable. I think either my ram has just has bad latency timings or the mobo is bad.

Honestly I think the board is just terrible at overclocking =(. But keep on trying and good luck!

I believe version 1201 of the bios I ran prime blend for hours just fine, I am also thinking about reverting back to that bios and running some tests.

You guys don't understand... I have tried everything... stock settings, underclocked, etc... the damn thing is just not priming without freezing!!

i tried 3 diff bioses... and now i'm trying to go to the 1200 or 1300 series bioses and ez-flash from is telling me some error about the .rom files. it's annoying as heck!!

I'm now running 1201 bios and this one freezes too.

Does this board just not PRIME? Can I just assume it'll be stable?

Yea honestly I am using my longest prime stable settings right now and everything seems stable so I am going to leave it as is. A lot of other people are having the exact same problems with the board.

I have also tried underclocking, stock settings, different bios versions, and playing around forever with everything but no luck, the board is just not good =(

Yea honestly I am using my longest prime stable settings right now and everything seems stable so I am going to leave it as is. A lot of other people are having the exact same problems with the board.

I have also tried underclocking, stock settings, different bios versions, and playing around forever with everything but no luck, the board is just not good =(

But is the board fine for everything else? Or does it crash even when gaming and such...

Yea its totally fine, never had it crash once. I play crysis, l4d, and tf2 and never had any crashes so far. I'm thinking about getting the MSI AM3 fx board soon though.

Yea its totally fine, never had it crash once. I play crysis, l4d, and tf2 and never had any crashes so far. I'm thinking about getting the MSI AM3 fx board soon though.

So we have no way of testing an overclock then... since this board is stupid (literally). Thanks for the info, though.

No problem, but try to get more info from some other people, I dont want to be your only sample size since I am the only person who responded. But from my perspective its a bad overclocker.

Alright, guys... I DO NOT WANT TO JINX MYSELF BUT...
I have been trying EVERYTHING. I finally narrowed it down (I hope I'm right) to the board not behaving well with FSB. Even when I lower my CPU-NB multi, my HT multi, and my CPU to keep the system at 2000mhz for NB/HT and 3000mhz for CPU (945 deneb) my system would still freeze during testing.

My simplest tool ended up finally being OCCT cpu test (v3.1.0) set to "Auto (1h)".

I wanted to test 250mhz FSB, and lowering all other settings so that they run stock. I ran 250x12 (3ghz) and OCCT cpu test would freeze within 1 min (after running the 1 min monitor), so essentially it would freeze at 58min XXs.

It seems to be the CPU-NB voltage that is the culprit. I tested all voltages one-by-one. I'm thankful that I found the TEST TO TEST WITH, that being OCCT CPU test (auto).

Before I was trying all other tests, and nothing was conclusive... everything was random as far as how long it would last.

Right now I'm at 49 min and counting down... this is the longest I've got it to run (just over 10 min now) at 250mhz fsb.

Why don't you all try upping your CPU-NB voltages... those that have this problem. My ASUS M4A79T doesn't have this problem, so perhaps this M4A78T-E board has trouble with CPU-NB voltages (droops, or maybe it just runs too low by default).

Hopefully I'm right about this... because the test didn't finish yet, but I'm feeling I finally got to the bottom of this!!!!!!!! I've had newegg's online chat window open and ready to fire up... b/c I was THAT CLOSE to an RMA.

*Edit*
Funny thing, as I was ending this post my heart nearly dropped when I saw OCCT's timer freeze... it was my screen saver kicking in, lol... all good!! Right now at 46 min and counting down...
If my results are true, I'm going to start a new thread so that all googlers with this damn board can find this solution.

You guys have NO IDEA!!! No idea HOW MUCH TIME I've put into this. Sometimes I just can't give up (even though I saw I always do after countless tries). I really was that close to giving up (having newegg's online chat window open ready to set up an RMA).

So what voltages did you end up setting the CPu-NB to? I have it at 1.3-1.35 and theres still problems with running prime longer than 2 hours.

Back