• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS M4A89TD PRO w/ AMD Phenom II x6 1100t

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mantis187

Registered
waiting on newegg to get this parts to my house ASAP. i was wondering if anyone else has this setup and maybe some advice on overclocking. im looking to get at least maybe a 1ghz OC on it with AIR cooling. i have looked at a couple different websites where people have gotten their CPU to this with some voltage tweaking. was also looking at OCing my mem as well. i ordered 16gbs of Corsair Vengeance memory (4x4 @1600) ive got some results from others ill post them and tell me what u think.

CPU
------------------------------------------------------------

x21mhz
4305.1 mhz
1.520v

MeM
------------------------------------------------------------

2000mhz
1.65v
9-10-9-24

Forgot where exactly i got these results on one of the many websites i viewed. i was thinking about doing these tweaks and soon as i get the box together and first time into bios. any suggestions are always welcome.

im putting all this new stuff into my HAF case. i have plenty of fans to keep everything cool and i will be adding a new HD into the mix. a WD 1TB 6GSATA 7200rpm, i currently have 2 250gb maxtors in a RAID config but they need to be replaced. Maybe ill use them for something not sure i got a 1TB external so i dont really need the space. Maybe allocate them for the pagefile? who knows need some advice

I think I read somewhere that that line of chips will be limited to 4ghz in a 64-bit environment (ie: Windows 7) due to an architectural issue, so that might be your realistic upper limit.

What CPU cooler did you order?

I think I read somewhere that that line of chips will be limited to 4ghz in a 64-bit environment (ie: Windows 7) due to an architectural issue, so that might be your realistic upper limit.

What CPU cooler did you order?

damn where did u read that? ive looked on newegg and everyone there said they had no probs getting it to show the 16gb just had to adjust the timings in the BIOS which seems the must for ddr3 mem. I got a zalman 9700 cooler so it should be fine.

yea just checked again just stated its best to set the memory timings up cause some motherboards will not recognize the ram. i tweak my BIOS with my builds anyway. i never use software OCing cause it seems finicky.

Last edited:
No, your RAM should be fine. Set timings and voltages manually.

I meant that the upper limit on CPU clocks will likely be 4ghz maximum due to architectural limitations.

No, your RAM should be fine. Set timings and voltages manually.

I meant that the upper limit on CPU clocks will likely be 4ghz maximum due to architectural limitations.

Ah ok thanks alot. is there a specific timing u would recommend? or just mess with it to get it going. Now im still waiting on the CPU is the 1100t the better way to go or is there another phenom that i should be looking at

Since it's 16GB I'd suggest whatever main timings the kit's rated for (either 8-8-8-XX or 9-9-9-24 is pretty standard) at 1600mhz, with the other miscellaneous timings on auto. If the RAM is rated for 1.5V you should probably bump it up to 1.52-1.53 since you'll have 4 slots filled (helps with stability).

The X6 is a great chip, so it's not a bad choice at all.

You won't get a truly stable 1 ghz overclock on air. That's just not going to happen. When I say stable I mean that it would pass the Prime95 blend test for 2+ hours. Prime95 is the De facto standard for confirming stability around here. If you are lucky enough to have gotten a cherry chip you might get it to4.1-4.2 but you can count on 4.0 unless you got a more rotten than usual piece of silicone.

yea sometimes when u get a new processor u dont get the so called cherry chip. only time will tell ill let u guys know when i get the whole thing up and running.

looks like ive found a better deal and CPU to go with. now im looking at getting the

GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+
AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)

now will my Zalman 9700 cooler work with this CPU? ive looked on numerous sites and people are saying yes it will but just need some verification. People are saying that the mounting for AM3 and AM3+ are the same so hopefully i wont have to get a new cooler. im pretty sure it will work anyone know for sure?

looks like ive found a better deal and CPU to go with. now im looking at getting the

GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+
AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)

now will my Zalman 9700 cooler work with this CPU? ive looked on numerous sites and people are saying yes it will but just need some verification. People are saying that the mounting for AM3 and AM3+ are the same so hopefully i wont have to get a new cooler. im pretty sure it will work anyone know for sure?

If it works on AM3, AM2, AM2+, etc, then yes it will work

Awesome cant wait to get these ordered. kinda sucks the board supports better memory and i bought the 1600 corsair vengeance LP instead of the 1866 or w/e. oh well i can upgrade it down the road np.

Back