• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASuS M4N82 OC Help for an OC NoOb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TorrentzRock

Ok, as i said in my intro post i am somewhat of an OC noob. torrenting, uploading, and my job as Tracker Admin on a private site consume most of my online time. i did however have pretty good success overclocking my old Asus A832N Sli Deluxe with an AMD Athlon X2 4400+.

BUT...now i have a newly installed Asus M4N82 Deluxe Mobo with a Phenom II 965, 2 X 2 GB OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB 2x2GB PC2-8500 DDR2 1066MHz Ram.

i am having a hard time oc'ing this setup as the bios settings are NOTHING like in my old mobo. also, unlike the old motherboard i cannot seem to locate a "general" guide to overclocking this combo as it is fairly new. forgive me if this has been covered already as i have searched. any help with some BASIC OC settings for this mobo would be appreciated.

thanks,

TR:screwy:

:welcome: to OCF!

I don't know your board at all and you'll have to look long and hard to find any kind of guide specific to it (but you'll find a link to my A8N32-SLI thread below ;)). nVidia chipsets have fallen way behind AMD chipsets in overclocking the AM2+ and AM3 boards.

That being said the only things that have really changed from your 4400+ (K8) is the addition of control for the cpuNB and the way RAM speed is calculated. The HT link runs faster than it did on K8 systems but the basics for it haven't changed. Cool'NQuiet is now joined by C1E, which is also a down-clocking system.

RAM speed is now based off the HTRef (aka reference clock, system clock), which is still 200 MHz default, and uses a multiplier like everything else instead of being based off the CPU speed and a divider like the K8 RAM speeds were.

The cpuNB, which has it's roots in the K8's Crossbar, now includes L3 cache as well as the CPU's HT link node and IMC (memory controller) like the K8. It has it's own voltage control and clock multiplier and is an important part of a stable OC. The cpuNB has a default multiplier of 10X (2000 MHz) for your 965BE and usually needs to be increased slightly for higher CPU clocks. Dolk's Guide covers this subject very well, among other things important for good Phenom II overclocks.

I hope that answered some of your questions. If you have others just post back and we will try to address them ... :)

first off thanks for the warm welcome! appreciated. before i get too far into this i am having a problem that you may be able to help me with. i am getting FUNKY numbers from CPU-z and Everest.

please see this post: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638061

this is wearin' me out! i cannot for the life of me figure out what is true and what is not so before i go any further i feel like i should really address this issue so i know what i am workin' with.

thanks

Back