• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5A78L-M LX and FX 6300 Overclocking Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DingoJones

Hey all, this is my first post on here and I'm just looking for some tips on overclocking. I'm wondering if anyone else here has used this combo to overclock and what kinda numbers they used and what the results were or really just any other tips at all?

Welcome to OCF Dingo,
I would suggest before you try any overclocking to download Prime95 and HWMonitor free version. Run P95 with HWmonitor open and monitor your temps. Keep the cpu TEMP UNDER 70c AND THE PACKAGE TEMP BELOW 62c. If you can run without overheating post the results here. Along with some shots of CPU-z main, memory and spd tabs.

Graphic representation of what "johan45" was saying. Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

You can attach more than 3 pics at one time by going back up to browse another file and uploading it.

I doubt you will have much success in overclocking the FX-6300 on that motherboard. The power phase components aren't very stout. When you start to overclock those FX babies they really suck the juice and make a lot of heat.

Alright thanks a lot guys I will do that when I get home after this weekend

Here's my results:

Attachments

• cpu.png
    cpu.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 3,295
  • memory.png
    memory.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 3,222
  • spd.png
    spd.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 3,197
  • Test.png
    Test.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 3,222
Are those results with the stock settings? Hard to tell as it looks like you still have the "green" stuff enabled. Look at the CPU-z pics. Look at the core speed. Low at 1406 mzh and look at the multiplier at x7. Yes, you still have Cool N Quiet enabled and Turbo. Disable them and C1E and APM as well and rerun the stress test please. When turbo mode (a bit of a misnomer IMO) is operative only two of the six cores are going full bore at any one time. AMD's way of cutting down on power consumption and heat but it plays havoc with overclocking.

Reran the test with all the suggested settings changed but with stock everything else and here's the results after another 20 min test

Attachments

• Test2.png
    Test2.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 3,205
Here's what I got after 2 hrs at 4.0 ghz, any suggestions or changes to other things that I should try? I only changed the cpu multiplier and most of the other settings were on auto for voltages and such

Attachments

• 4000for1hr.png
    4000for1hr.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 3,203
If it feels good to you then do it. Temps seem okay but you either have some greeen shett still on since we see the Vcore hit a big high and then back to less than 1 volt so we know something is in greeen mode. Maybe windows power manager set to balanced and not performance. Either way your rig does not have to pass our inspection, but rather do good at your end once we hand the clues off to you sir. Luck to you and have some fun.
RGone...

Alright thanks a lot guys I wasnt sure if there was anything else I should do or not but yup I'm happy with it

Hello and my first post. I just picked up the plus version of this board and the FX 6300 AMD cpu. I love the AMD overdrive software for overclocking my system. What I was after in my overclocking was run a stock clock but when the work load was increased it would increase the cpu power, so what i did was set the cpu to 3.5 Ghz and under load it would increase to 4.5 Ghz. ! left my bios alone and set to auto on all settings. then in the software i tweaked the setting a bit. with the turbo core control feature and some volts and play with the multiplier a bit. Nice and smooth even under load with handbrake running temps of 51 C and under full load on all cores for 90 mins. Side note not a stock cooler but still an air cooler.

If you have TurboCore enabled it may clock up to 4.5Ghz but only with one half of the cores for a 6 core FX processor. TurboCore monitors load and temp and use of cores and if not exceeding the temps and load, then it will upclock up to one half of the cores. That is unless you are bypassing TurboCore in some manner.
RGone...ster

Back