• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX DDR3 ATX Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clutchy08

Registered
I Just bought this motherboard and i was wondering can i go 3 Way SLI with GTX 560 Sc Non Ti

Hello i bought this Motherboard, and i was wondering how many Cards can i Go SLI With on this Board?, i am going to be buying 2 Evga 560 Sc and i would love to go 3 Way is it Possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
Which Evga 560 SC the 560 or the 560 ti? You probably wouldn't want to run a third card in the 2nd PCI-E 16 slot. The cards cooler probably wouldn't be able to get enough air and could overheat, due to it being so close to the PCI-E #3 slot.

You're much better off from a video performance perspective if you sink more money into one really good card than three middle of the road cards and you are much less likely to encounter technical roadblocks.

Because of the way the lanes are set for transfer speed, the Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 , will only run a third video card at x4 speed and not x8 as on the Crosshair V mobo. The third video card could never perform up to the level of a board with the third slot that could do x8.

PCI Express 2.0 x16 4 (x16, x16, x4, x4) for Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0

PCI Express 2.0 x16 3 (dual x16 or x16, x8, x8) 1 (x4 mode) for Crosshair V Formula

Which Evga 560 SC the 560 or the 560 ti? You probably wouldn't want to run a third card in the 2nd PCI-E 16 slot. The cards cooler probably wouldn't be able to get enough air and could overheat, due to it being so close to the PCI-E #3 slot.

Hey it is the Evga GTX 560 Sc, but does that motherboard support 3 Way Sli? because i got a Big *** case called the DF85 is has lots of Fans ect ect

Because of the way the lanes are set for transfer speed, the Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 , will only run a third video card at x4 speed and not x8 as on the Crosshair V mobo. The third video card could never perform up to the level of a board with the third slot that could do x8.

PCI Express 2.0 x16 4 (x16, x16, x4, x4) for Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0

PCI Express 2.0 x16 3 (dual x16 or x16, x8, x8) 1 (x4 mode) for Crosshair V Formula

So there is no Point of going 3 Way? i have 2 GTX 560 Sc's i might even get the 3rd one just for the apperance, but can you tell me if that is a good motherboard that i got?

I merged your two threads that were essentially asking the same question :thup:

So there is no Point of going 3 Way? i have 2 GTX 560 Sc's i might even get the 3rd one just for the apperance, but can you tell me if that is a good motherboard that i got?

I probably would not do Tri-Sli since it seems a little pointless with the third slot being only x4 transfer speed, but the third card would likely be allowed by the SLI driver. I have heard 'rumors't (to me anyway) that sometimes the driver will not setup for Tri-SLI if the third slot is too slow in transfer speed. I have no 'real' knowledge of that situation though.

"but can you tell me if that is a good motherboard that I got?" = that is really not a super question. What do you mean by good? Good to do what? Good to run a cpu at an overclocked speed?

Good to run Tri-SLI since that is the only thing you have asked about the board so far? No I would n0t consider the board 'good' for Tri-SLI, but is the board good for building a computer to run most AMD cpus, then yes.

I had a 260 running physx in a 4x slot for a bit, but I dont know how bad it bottle necks physx performance. Seemed to run batman AC bench decently (with a 480 stock clocks, 1080p, everything maxed including physx) w/40fps average (system below, just the gpus changed). if you really want to run 3 gfx cards, and play alot of games with heavy physx, that would be one possible use for the 4x s,ot, but ymmv...

Back