• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus & GPU Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eaks77

Registered
Hey Everyone,

I have a water cooled mining rig with a i5 and Asus Maximus board. Overkill..but I wanted to try a water cooled machine and I got it for a good price, used. It came with two 6950's and it was running steady for a couple weeks.... But for the search of more hash, I took out the 6950's and put in two watercooled 6990's with one watercooled 6950. I apologize for not having the exact motherboard model, but there are four pcie x16 and one partial pciex4 slots. I'm running windows 7 and I installed ATI 13.12. It's only recognizing the first 6990. So before a fresh windows install and trying different drivers, I thought I'd give BAMT a try.... Same problem... It's gotta be a motherboard problem... Right? What am I missing? I tried connecting the crossfire between both 6990's and no change in result.

Help!

Thanks

What do you mean?

Out of the cards I have in there, I know 100% that the 6950 and one of the 6990's work. This is the downside of Watercooling and a gamble that I took. I bought the other 6990 on ebay and It was allegedly in working order. But even still... the 6950 isn't recognized.

Hopefully this answers your question

I'm asking if both 6990s are working properly since one isn't being seen.

Plug them in separately and see if both run normally.

Yeah I'd make sure they both work first, then it's sometimes a conflict in you're PCI lanes occasionally when some MOBO's switch lanes depending on what else you may have plugged in.

I had two GTX 260s in SLI once that had worked for years and wasn't till a rebuild found out one was non functional.

Sounds odd I guess, but make sure both cards work first off.

Problem solved.... and it was super simple (as I presumed) ... thanks for everyone's help

For reference in case someone else comes across this thread, please post your fix :)

I was not familiar with the mother board and never seen this before... but the Asus Maximus has physical switches to turn each PCI-e slot on or off... simple! :p

I was not familiar with the mother board and never seen this before... but the Asus Maximus has physical switches to turn each PCI-e slot on or off... simple! :p

That's common on boards meant for extreme benchmarking, which the Maximus is.

Back