• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus V Formula Won't boot or post.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaliciousVillEN

I've put together my pc on 1/29/13. As of today, i have not been able to log into my computer. I can turn on my computer, but then i hear (1 long beep, 3 short beeps. My motherboard has (Q-LED) next to the 24pin socket. The board shows two LED lit. One is for the VGA and the other is for the Boot drive. I've tried everything i can think of.

My Maximus V Forumla strats up, but does not boot-up.

Before POST there are three beeps from the motherboard speaker. (Never heard before) After the POST beep follows One long beep then three short beeps. (I don't have a video card) FYI...

(Q Code LED) reads: pause20, pause62, pause99, stops at A2.

(Q-LED) reads: 1st VGA_Solid LED, 2nd Boot Device_Solid LED

Tested HDMI cable and monitor; test passed.

Unplugged everything from the I/O. Except for keyboard & video cable; test failed.

Truned power off / Removed battery for five minutes; test failed.

Removed all hard drives beside the boot-up drive; test faild.

Removed RAM except for one; test faild.

Pressed DELETE, before POST to enter BIOS; test faild.

Rested BIOS with jumpers; test faild.

Don't know what elso to try.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula
CPU: i7-3770k @4.5
RAM: G.Skill Trident (4gbx4) 2400mhz
GPU: NONE
PSU: EVGA Super Nova 750w
Boot-up Drive: Sandisk 32gb SSD
System Memory: Western Digital Black Caviar (1TBx2) Raid Zero Configuration
Back-up Drive: 2TB Western Digital Green Caviar (Hot Swap DriveBay)

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you're using a dedicated gpu have you tried removing it and using the I Gpu if you have one? Could you also list the full system specs.

I've merged your duplicate threads into the proper forum. Please only create one thread per topic.

One long, 3 short = "No VGA detected"

Have you changed anything in the system recently? Also, BIOS reset on that board is achieved by using the BIOS reset button the back panel (not the "reset" on the board inside the case, that's a simple system reset/power cycle). What jumpers did you mess with? The only jumper available on that board is the LN2 "cold bug" switch I think.

Try taking the battery out of the MOBO about 20 seconds and restarting it, if all else has failed.

*shrug*

Most BIOS memory is non-volatile EEPROM or flash memory these days. Removing the battery won't necessarily reset it. That's one reason there's a BIOS reset button built into the motherboard.

ball peen hammer ?

Heh, sorry.

There would still be some jumpers you could switch as a last resort, I'm not familiar with the newer boards obviously.

I'm sure there are a few things built in to prevent bricking them I imagine.

But sometimes not maybe.

Last edited:
I haven't had one with the button yet, but from what I can see the "Reset BIOS" button generally takes the place of the old jumper pins. The button just puts a user friendlier face on it, I'm sure the button is simply shorting the same old traces together on the motherboard.

I looked through the manual for the Maximus V Formula briefly though, and I didn't see any jumpers that could be set aside from the LN2 switch. That's why I'm a bit curious about what he actually did.

What I'm REALLY curious about though is why he's running an overclocked Ivy Bridge, 16GB of memory, SSD, RAID0 HD array, and a big power supply ... and the integrated graphics. I'd guess mini-server, but he's running Win8 Pro. Seems like a very weird setup to me.

Back