• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb needs help with PC that spontaneously doesn't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You might try giving your vcore a small boost and your RAM voltage as well.

a cheap easy test would be to replace the cmos battery. if your mb is more than 5yrs old it probably could be replaced just for piece of mind.

Quick update from my end:
- I cleared the CMOS and that didn't help
- Ran the memtest and had no errors through four passes save for a message on the third pass that "RAM may be vulnerable to high frequency row hammer bit flips". I have no idea what this means.
- Took out each stick of RAM and tried to cold boot with no success, so I don't think that's the issue
- When pressed about what the error code 8 means, Gigabyte support said "There is no such code 8 define, maybe this is due to system failure that show this unknown code."

Based on what all you wonderful people who have taken the time to help and the Gigabyte support person said, my remaining courses of action will be to:
- Unplug everything except the heatsink from the mobo (including the memory) and see if I can isolate the issue that way
- Check the CPU to see if any pins are bent (I doubt it, given it's been safely plugged into the mobo for a number of years)
- Possibly replace the CMOS battery (although the mobo is only three years old)
- Giving your vcore a small boost and your RAM voltage as well (I have no idea on how to do this)

So far, I've only managed to crack a blade on my CPU cooling fan, lose a washer from the heatsink and break a pin on a splitter used by the CPU cooling fan *facepalm*

I unplugged everything except the heatsink, memory and CPU fan from the mobo and that didn't seem to resolve the issue.

The CPU pins also looked fine.

If I replace the mobo, I'm tempted to upgrade the CPU as well. If I'm going to have to reinstall everything, I might as well make it worthwhile.

A good idea but sadly I don't have a spare processor lying around.

Well if you have the time instead of buying the processor and motherboard, purchase the processor first and if it does not work correctly sell it.

Back