• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS motherboard nor displaying POST or anything

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMac

Registered
Hi I don;t know if anyone can help, I've just finished building a home PC with the following components all brought new from DABS.

Motherboard - ASUS A88XM-A
Processor - AMD Athlon II 860K FM2 3.7Ghz + Fan
Memory - Crucial 8GB DDR3 CLII Non ECC
DVD - Samsung 16x SATA
HHD - Toshiba 1tb SATA
PSU - Alpine 700W

As far as I can see everything is plugged in correctly and the right way round, the monitor works as I've plugged it into my Laptop and I get visuals.

When I switch it on, the fans spin, the harddrive spins the DVD spins, the keyboard lights up and the mouse lights up, the only thing is the re is no post data or anything else displayed on the monitor, which is plugged into the internal VGA port.

Any hlep or advise would be grateful.

I'm pretty certain the CPU you purchased doesn't have graphics capability. So you're going to need a graphics card.

A

I'm pretty certain the CPU you purchased doesn't have graphics capability. So you're going to need a graphics card.

Thanks for the info, I've checked on the net and can;t see anything about graphics on the manufactures site, i'll see if i can buy a cheap one and see.

Thanks for the info, I've checked on the net and can;t see anything about graphics on the manufactures site, i'll see if i can buy a cheap one and see.

Okay the graphics are sorted, it needed a graphics card, now if I can get the keyboard to work I'll be a happy bunny :)

Check the manual and make sure you don't have it plugged into a USB 3.0 socket. That won't work without drivers.

EDIT: looking at the manual the only USB2 that I see are under the LAN connection.

AMD boards do not have (some) native USB3 ports? Wooooooow.

Okay i've changed the USB plugs to the right sockets (DOH ) still nothing, I even dragged and old PS2 keyboard out and nothing, any ideas, before I pull the rest of my hair out and give it up as a bad job

Something is up though if your PS/2 keyboard won't work either. Does a mouse work? USB/PS/2? I've built a rig using that board and it was fine. EVen plugged a USB 2 keyboard into the USB 3 slot :p

I certainly would remove power to power supply from wall outlet and then clear the CMOS and then reconnect power to power supply and try again.

Most of these boards suggest 2 sticks of ram only be installed in specific slots as the primary slots. Check it.

And you have the 24 pin plugged in tightly and the 8 pin power to the cpu connected unless it is only a 4 pin as some of the cheaper boards have. Won't boot without cpu power attached.

If none of those are not attended to and clear CMOS does not work...I would RMA the board and cpu. Not easy to tell which might be bad and no sense in sending one off and not the other and then waiting and being told you have gone beyond the RMA period or such shett. And by the way if both sticks of ram were bad...the board would not boot. I have only seen such happen maybe 3 times in nearly 20 years but it can happen. Just an FYI.

RGone....

Something is up though if your PS/2 keyboard won't work either. Does a mouse work? USB/PS/2? I've built a rig using that board and it was fine. EVen plugged a USB 2 keyboard into the USB 3 slot :p

When I switch on the PC the splash screen comes up and asks me to press F2 or DEL to enter BIOS, pressing either does nothing with either a USB or a PS" keyboard. The keyboard lights up and the mouse lights up so I know they work.

If it helps I'm getting the following error message on the screen.

"USB device overcurrent status detected"

I tried unplugging the Front USB panel and it makes no difference

If it helps I'm getting the following error message on the screen.

"USB device overcurrent status detected"
Sure that helps!!!

Do you have any other mouse/keyboard to try?

Sure that helps!!!

Do you have any other mouse/keyboard to try?

I don;t know if it's relevant but I've just noticed theres no jumper pin on the USBPWF pins, apparently this is the USB device wake up? Should there be a jumper block there?

I take it you're using the USB ports directly attached to the MoBo? Double check the case USB plugs (motherboard side) and disconnect them from the board and try again. Also check for bent pins...

I take it you're using the USB ports directly attached to the MoBo? Double check the case USB plugs (motherboard side) and disconnect them from the board and try again. Also check for bent pins...

Their integrated with the board so I can;t unplug them, the only thing I have plugged in is a PS2 k/Board still the same error

Their integrated with the board so I can;t unplug them, the only thing I have plugged in is a PS2 k/Board still the same error

I mean the cables from the case USB's. Ones that look like this:

IMG_15631.jpg

Attachments

• USB3.0_connector.jpg
    USB3.0_connector.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 134

- - - Updated - - -

The front panel UBS, yes I've unplugged them. Still the same
There's jumper pin missing from the USBPWF pins, would that make a difference?

- - - Updated - - -

The front panel UBS, yes I've unplugged them. Still the same
There's jumper pin missing from the USBPWF pins, would that make a difference?

You'll have to check the MoBo manual for that

It says

Set this jumper to +5V to wake the computer from Sq1 sleep mode and to +5VSB to wake from S3 and S4 sleep mode

under the picture the following

The USB device wake up feature requires a power supply that can produce 500mA on the +5VSB lead for each USB port

It might as well be in Chinese :)

Back