• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS motherboard nor displaying POST or anything

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Look at a photo online of the board and see if the jumpers are there & match what you have.

On the ASUS web sit theres a jumper pin showing in the location, oh well a trip to maplins at the weekend then :)

Thanks for all the help guys. Fingers crossed this will solve the issue, if not I'll strip everything out and set it up on the bench

USB current over load problem

Okay I have the MB on the desk with the fan, graphics card and power supply plugged in and I'm getting the following

USB current over load detected !! system will shut down if 15 seconds.

After asking on forums I was told to unplug all USB devices, hence the bare board on the deck, when stripping it out I did notice a missing jumper pin on the USBPWF pins.

What does this mean? and how do I sort it out, it's been bugging me for a couple of days now

Okay I've just shorted the two default pins out and it seems to work...

Last edited:
USBPWF pins depending on which pins have jumper on them determines what voltage is powering the Usb for wakeup. Not having the pins jumpered at all has lately been said to cause the error you have experienced.

Some were without issue with NO pins jumpered for a good while then suddenly the error begins. But we know getting full information about what was added or changed is hard to get users to tell about. My guess is something was changed. Video cards changed or added and defective ram have 'started' the error to show up as well.

Seems you moved away from n0 jumper to a jumper and the issue seems gone. IF so that is certainly the easiest fix. Good luck man.

RGone...ster.

From a little research.

A way to cure this problem, from reads along the way, multiple cures.

Interesting info gathered::

The message is supposed to be generated if there is a short on a +5vdc USB power trace
The Maximus Formula's USB controller is in the ICH9R chip
Gives you an idea of possible bad parts... caps with issues perhaps?
I had the same problem. But I managed to fix it. All i had to do was open up the computer and remove a fan and the power block and disconnected the front usb port. it took a while but it work. Hopes this helps
Not sure what he means by power block, but interesting a Fan was too much draw perhaps a bad 12/5 v rail? But less hardware made this issue gone.

Clear cmos. Always do this the long way. Jumper psu and batter all disconnected or unplugged.

Change Ram slots or remove Ram.

3. Look for bent pins in the USB ports or damage to USB ports that may be repairable.

PSU was bad. Board gives random overvolt or undercurrent and surge along with USB errors.

Board was defective or faulty caps. It happens......

The problem turned out to be a lead coming from an add on multi function bay. It had two USB flying leads, one of which was the standard block with 5 socket holes on one side and four on the other so that it could only be fitted in one way around.

Bad mounting PCB to case, screws too tight, fallen screw caught on back of PCB between board and case causing a short.

In short and lastly, I would question the Alpine PSU and give it a quick test. A multimeter will help.

Problem solved, I put a new jumper block on the pins and bingo a working desktop PC

Thank you all for the help and advice on my recent problems, greatly appreciated.

Back