• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P4P800 "New CPU Installed" Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Akumajou

After changing the fan/heatsink, I keep getting a message at boot saying "New CPU Installed". I've searched Google about this, and everyone seems to suggest the battery isn't saving CMOS. That's not the case however because it does retain BIOS settings and that message does not appear when using an old CPU I have laying around. I've tried loading setup defaults, clearing CMOS by removing battery - changing jumper, and reseating the CPU. Any suggestions?

I'm using BIOS 1021.006.

It's a Pentium 4 3.0E G1 which I bought after my 3.2 D1 died. That message didn't appear until I changed the fan/heatsink on the 3.0E though.

Its not the BIOS, its Windows. The OS detected a new CPU and wants you to reverify the software.

The message is displayed during POST, its not Windows.

I have a P4C800 s478 and while searching for something on the Asus forums I came upon the OP's problem.

Apparently it affects most of Asus' s478 mobos, and its a fairly widespread problem. Another common problem with these mobos is 'System overclock failed' or something like that, even when you have all settings in auto.

If I remember correctly, it was a matter of the CPU socket retention system becoming loose over time (due to high P4 temps and bad design) and not holding the CPU in place properly.

Perhaps the new heatsink does not exert as much pressure on the CPU as the previous one.

Try this: while keeping pressure with your hand on the heatsink (not too much though, you don't wanna break your cpu/mobo), try booting the PC. If it is the problem I'm referring to, the message will not appear.

You could also try flashing the latest BIOS, but I doubt it will change things...

Well apparently it was that, I googled for the error a bit to make sure the cause was what I described above and found a thread by the OP on another forum, he replaced the heatsink with the one he used previously and the error went away.

The stock Intel heatsink exerts a lot of pressure on the CPU, and the problem doesn't manifest itsself...

Thats interesting, as I have never seen that problem and I have a CT-479 adaptor pcb plugged into my mobo's 478 socket and a Zalman 7000 on top.
One to watch out for though.

Nickg solved the problem here:
www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2422458

Here is a real-life photo:
h5s.png

Just thought I'd spread the word.

Back