• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Clear CMOS switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Been a while since I made anything PC related. My new board doesn't have a clear cmos button which I thought was a really dumb move on MSI's part. So I remember some time back during the 775 days, a member here made me a clear cmos switch and over the years of upgrading I lost track of it.

Anyhows I had a push-on/push-off switch I used on my car amp (my stock head unit doesn't have a blue wire) and twice I thought I had turned it off, only to find out in the morning on my way to work my battery was dead :rolleyes: So I switched it to a normal toggle on/off switch.

The board's clear cmos jumper is right under the 2nd PCIE slot and a pain to get to. I was using a long flat-head screwdriver to clear cmos. I got tired of that crap so I had to devise a better solution. I remembered I had the push button switch, so 10 minutes later voila, push button clear cmos switch.

Simple and effective: Push on= clear cmos, push off= bios reverted to default :D No more laying on the floor with a screwdriver to insert to clear the dang bios. Now I get to drink my screwdrivers in a sitting position :rofl:

Attachments

• IMG_20210711_180142.jpg
    IMG_20210711_180142.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 71
Nice remote CMOS switch! :thup:

No more laying on the floor with a screwdriver to insert to clear the dang bios. Now I get to drink my screwdrivers in a sitting position :rofl:

mmm, screwdrivers = orange juice + vodka, my favorite 'substance'. ;)

**slightly off topic**

Keto Mojito recipe:
Code:
Vodka
Club soda
Lime
Mint-optional
Ice
A glass

Nice remote CMOS switch! :thup:

mmm, screwdrivers = orange juice + vodka, my favorite 'substance'. ;)

**slightly off topic**

Keto Mojito recipe:
Code:
Vodka
Club soda
Lime
Mint-optional
Ice
A glass

Tim! Thanks! Great recipe for the Keto Mojito. Gonna have to try that! ;)

*Back on topic*

Forgot to mention you can snag a momentary switch at any auto parts store for about 5 bux.

Great workaround! These days, I make sure the mobo I pick has a CMOS reset button on the rear IO. :)

made one of those years ago... think it was for an XP board/build. might still be in my pc workbox, but doubt it, it's been a while... lol
those are so useful, loved it when that sort of thing started to become standard on decent boards

Great workaround! These days, I make sure the mobo I pick has a CMOS reset button on the rear IO. :)

Yeah I try also, but I had thought because it's a modern mobo that it would be standard. Come to find out it doesn't, which I found odd.

It varies by price, really. The less expensive you go, the less likely it will have one on the rear IO. the Tomahawk/MAG series is part of the budget range from MSI. Newegg and the vendor websites show the rear IO so in the future, you can simply look and see. :thup:

Back