• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P4T-E Christmas Surprise!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cemal Gurel

Hi,
I have now an Asus P4T-E Socket 478 motherboard that came from graveyard. I have get it as a 'dead mobo' about 8$ from a guy who sells it at internet. The problem dissapeared by only removing it's Lithium battery. I have waited a bit and put a new battery then voila, post success!

Of course I have flashed it's bios with the latest Beta 1008.004 bios from 1008e004.zip file, and my new Celeron 2000 with D1 stepping booted without 'CPU ID incorrect' message. I have seen that with jumper free mode VCore adjustment is possible to tune. I go up 100 to 133 but no success. I later, decrease the RDRam frequency to 600MHz and the system booted. But, the PCI speed was about 44,5MHz and AGP was 89MHz. I know that this mobo is not a 850E version. I later decided to tour at Asus site to find a solution for the problem. P4T-E pdf was not mentioning much for the problem. I later seen the previous Socket 423 version of the same mobo called P4T only. The pdf of P4T was much better than the P4T-E manual because it has more jumper adjustments from, on board dip-switches. YES, it tells that with jumper mode setting to 33.4 PCI and 66.8 AGP is possible by adjusting 6~10 jumpers to [ON], [OFF], [ON], [ON], [OFF] position. That was for P4T, but I wonder about the P4T-E. I did the dip-switch setting including the 20x divider for Celeron 2000. Then...

TA, TAAA... The post said 399MHz RDRam clock with 2670MHz CPU and I have waited a bit more to be sure about the PCI and AGP. YES! They were NORMAL!

P4T-E was working just like a 850E chipset based system now. The only problem was the VCore adjustment setting at bios was unreachable. This means the VCore is not adjustable for overclocking. The Celeron 2000 no needs to increase VCore from 1,525, that I know for 2666MHz speed before. The higher CPU's may need that VCore increase higher than that speed. But, the good point is, an original 533fsb 512K cache based 0,13micron process Willamette can be run on it upto 2800MHz.

At Powerleap or Upgradeware 400fsb 2800MHz CPU's are selling, but they are more expensive than 533fsb ones and difficult to find at local-shops. Another good point is, the memory benchmark score. Celeron 2000 at 2670MHz gets about 2790 score compared to 850E system at SiSoft Sandra database of 2800 points. For 400fsb this score is about 350 lower for 850 systems there, pointing 2450 only.

BUT, DON'T FORGET! I have decreased the RDRam clock to 600MHz at BIOS BEFORE, running into 133fsb with jumpers. If you don't lower to 600MHz, the system jumps from 800 to 1066MHz for the RDRam clock, that the PC800 Ram's can not work at that speed. Let's briefly number the steps:

1-Run at the original 400fsb speed, then go into bios with Delete and set to RDRam clock to 600MHz, then save the changes and turn off the system.
2-Now go into jumper mode from 3 pin header. Adjust the 14x~24x from 1~4 jumpers, that is written on the P4T-E manual clearly. Leave the reserved 5.th one set to [OFF] position, then adjust the 6~10 jumpers to [ON], [OFF], [ON], [ON], [OFF] position.
3-If your CPU can operate at 133MHz normally without VCore increase, you now have a 533fsb computer with 1.33 times overclocked (Like I did.) or 1.33times higher original speed usable machine. As I have told earlier, in jumper mode VCore adjustment is NOT POSSIBLE! Personally, I couldn't tried a 2800MHz 533fsb 512K Cache Willamette CPU but, I hope&think it can run %99,9 if you can adjust 1~4 jumpers to 21x for it. A Celeron 2100 may too run without VCore adjustment at 2800MHz, if you are luckier than me.

Bye,

Back