• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P6T (NON-deluxe) / i7-920 Users Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, I finally got my rig up to 4.2, but I don't consider it even marginally stable because I can't run prime95 for more than a couple of seconds.
I am still prone to random freezing whenever cpu load gets up above 80%. Here are my current settings....
Any Suggestions?

CPU Ratio: Auto
Speed Step: Enabled
Turbo: Enabled
BCLK: 200
PCIE: 100
DRAM: 1603
UCLK: 3208
QPI: Auto
CPU Voltage: 1.5
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.92
QPI/DRAM Voltage:1.5
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.64

All other Voltages are set to AUTO.

Are you fully stable at 4 GHz?

On my rig Intel (R) Turbo Mode Tech [Disabled] This increases the multiplier by one if the temps are low enough but I figure the OC may not be as stable when it does, so I changed it to [Disabled]

Did you significantly lower your multiplier to find your highest stable BCLK? Is it 200?

I started off by leaving my BIOS settings on auto and only adjusting the BCLK. I got my BCLK up to 190 and was able to run Prime95 for more than 1 hour. When I set the BCLK to 195 the system would crash almost instantly. So from there I just started upping the voltages.

If I turn off the Turbo, and run the BCLK at 195 with a Multi of 20 then I get a fairly stable platform. But no matter what I try, if I am at 200 I can't run prime95 for more than a few seconds.

If you can't do 200 BCLK even for a few seconds with voltage that high, you chip's max BCLK may be a quite a bit lower than 200.

Sounds like you're looking at 3.9 GHz stable which is a 47% overclock, nothing to complain about ;).

I want to try and get to 4.0 but am a little nervous. Guess I'm scared I'm going to burn something up while doing it. Right now I have it at 3.5 stable. I've had it up to 3.8 but took it back down since this is my first build I've done myself and my first overclock. Also I have read guides (multitudes of guides) and really don't understand everything yet. Do you all think I should try it? Also what are my chances of frying something out?

My build:
Core i7 920 C0 batch A
p6t
Prolimatech Megahalem (sp?) w/ scythe slipstream 1900rpm
6 gigs G skill ddr3 1600 triple channel
750 watt corsair
antech 1200
gtx 250

Last edited:
Watch your temperatures. You should be OK if at reasonable voltage & temps you are stable at 3.8.

Did you apply the thermal paste correctly? You apply a small single line, horizontal line of thermal compound like so

Attachments

• ArcticSilver-i7.jpg
    ArcticSilver-i7.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 2,122
I actually spread it out myself with a plastic card. Should I remount it and do it the way you said?

same as when I used ic7 diamond or whatever it is called. I don't really see a temp difference. I think (need to run prime95 and check temps again) was around 65 on the hottest core. I just want to be able to get it stable so I can say I did it. I will pull it back down to 3.5. Not trying to burn it up and want to at least last 3 to 4 years.

If you were at 65 Celsius, for i7 that is not hot and you can safely run it at 3.8.

Maybe you have a chip that can do 4 GHz +, so then 3.8 is "pulling it back down" ;).

I just bought a new rig with said motherboard and I can't change my cpu ratio or my base clock in my bios,
-total noob who needs help.

I did and I can see my bclk but not change it, thats what I ment.

Hmm, there has to be a setting in there you are not enabling/disabling in order to get the BLCK to change. I don't have the P6T so I cannot say for certain which setting it is. I remember on my Asus Rampage Formula switching Ai Overclock Tuner to manual in AI Tweaker I had all the settings available to me.

Do you have latest bios? Cleared Cmos to their defaults?

If you can see it, then you should be able to change it. You do have it set to manual don't you? You can type in a number or hit + or -. It's not like some boards I have had where you can hit enter and it brings up a list.

If you can see it, then you should be able to change it. You do have it set to manual don't you? You can type in a number or hit + or -. It's not like some boards I have had where you can hit enter and it brings up a list.

doh yeah "+ and -" worked although those keys were not hinted anywhere :p
thanks for the help

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and this seemed like a good place to start as I'm planning on buying and overclocking the P6t.

One general and noobish question...when one says they are running stable at 4ghz or whatever does that mean you should expect to be able to play games hours on end overclocked? In the past I've seemed stable while overclocked but the games would crash or maybe overheat my video card. Not sure which.

Also here's what I'm gonna get any suggestions would be appreciated if you all aren't sick of analyzing peoples purchases already. I look forward to gettin this baby up and goin.
I7 920 and P6T
6gb corsair dominators
corsair 750 power supply
cooler master v8 heatsink
2 msi 4890's or 1 nvidia gtx 285(very confused about this choice)

Back