• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P8Z68 overclock gone wrong, didn't save the default BIOS settings.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mapexmbirch

Hi, I recently built a computer with the Asus P8Z68-V LX mobo, i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, 120gb SSD, 550W PSU, Antec 300 Case and the Arctic freezer pro 7.

As you probably know Asus has this auto overclock software that comes with the motherboard. I trusted that thinking that it would know what it was doing.
I set up 'fast' which just overclocks the CPU as I don't have any cooling on my RAM, 'extreme' oc the RAM as well as the CPU.
After rebooting it seemed fine, it said I had a 31% increase, from 3.3GHz to 4.5GHz, I thought great.
That was last night, starting up this morning the fans spin up and all the LEDs are on like normal then it fails and tries again, I think after the 3rd time of failing and trying again it goes into setup screen press F1 etc. I pressed F1 and it took me into the BIOS. As I didn't know what it had changed I went into boot and selected windows. Windows started normal and everything looked stable at 4.5GHz, temp was 35C.

I restarted it and it only failed once instead of 3 times. Leaving it a couple of hours and starting again it failed 3 times again. I turned down the CPU multiplier to 34 (3.4GHz) and it seemed stable. Shutting down and leaving it a couple of hours coming back to start it again it failed twice then started fine.
Temperatures are at 23C.

If anyone can tell me how to overclock this mobo and CPU safely would be great.
Or just get it stable again would be still good thanks.

Current settings:

Ai tweaker tab
Ai overclock tuner: manual
BCLK/PCIE frequency: 100.3
Turbo ratio: by all cores (can adjust in OS)
By all cores: 34
Internal PLL overvoltage: enabled
memory frequency: auto
iGPU max freq: auto
EPU power saving: disabled

In the CPU power management menu
CPU ratio: auto
enhanced intel speedstep tecnology: enabled
Turbo mode: enabled

The following are all auto:
long duration power limit
long duration maintained
short duration power limit
additional turbo voltage
primary plane current limit
secondary plane current limit

back in the ai tweaker
CPU offset mode sign: +
CPU voltage: 1.105V Auto
iGPU offset mode sign: +
iGPU voltage: auto
DRAM voltage: 1.5V auto
VCCIO voltage: 1.050V auto
PCH voltage: 1.000V auto
Load line calibration: enabled
CPU spread spectrum: auto

Under the advanced tab
\cpu config\
cpu ratio: auto
intel adaptive thermal monitor: enabled
active processor cores: all
limit CPUID maximum: disabled
execute disable bit: enabled
intel virtulization technology: disabled
enhanced intel speedstep technology: enabled
turbo mode: enabled
CPU C1E: auto
CPU C3 report: auto
CPU C6 report: enabled

I think that is all that maters to OCing

Do you have anything plugged int othe USB3 ports when it fails to boot?

(Usually this leads to a continuous no boot not success after a few tries)

After that we need this info

a) Type of PSU. (but even a generic should handle it)

b) Model of RAM. (never trust auto multi/SPD)

You can disable pll overvoltage, not needed until 50+ multiplier.

Disable spread spectrum.

well as a rule of thumb dont trust the software to OC, it always sets the voltages too high, you can get better performance and higher overclock using manaul. See the how to thread for whatever processor your using.. its good stuff...

Mine kept looping like that when i messed with the ram timings etc... do you have the mem ok button , if so try pressing that to reset the ram.....

also on the V pro i have i heard it doesnt like ram rated for 1.65 volts so check yours to see the voltageits rated for, and then check to see what your mobo wants. you may have to set voltage to 1.5 and see if that clears it up.

i see your Dram is auto 1.5 what are the sticks requiring etc....?

Haha yeah, every where I read says don't trust the OC software, I wish I read that before.

It's ok now, I spent all day yestertday on it and did a 2 hour stress test with it clocked at 3.6 and it started fine this morning. Maybe disabling the PLL overvoltage and the spread spectrum helped.
I don't think it was the RAM it was working fine before and it didn't try to OC the RAM just the CPU.

I don't know what voltages they are, but it was stable in the stress test yesterday.

Cheers for your help!

Back