• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus p8z77-v pro memtest errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jebediah

Hi guys.
A long story short.
I bought a new computer for some time ago and noticed some issue with games, not all, but some of them. The games crashes and i have kill the process or restart the computer.

Here's the log from one game, and sorry for the language
Undantagskod: 0xc0000005
Felförskjutning: 0x0002e41b
Process-ID: 0x13cc
Programmets starttid: 0x01ce598627f08abc
Sökväg till program: C:\Spel\BioShock Infinite\Binaries\Win32\BioShockInfinite.exe
Sökväg till modul: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Rapport-ID: 32763d09-c57d-11e2-a29f-60a44c41e1a3

Well, i tried everything and nothing seemed to help.
Ended up with memtest for the first time in my life and ranned it ran it during the night. And here's the result.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7207/img20130527051448.jpg

Mobo: Asus p8z77-v pro
RAM: Kingston DDR3 HyperX Beast 16GB

And now to all the questions, and i hope someone have the sparetime to help me out.

Yes, i know that the RAM is not listed in QVL. I could not find any from the story so i gave it a try anyway.
Since it's my fist time i use memtest, how reliable is it?

*So what next?
*Is it possible that the RAM causing all the problems with my games?
*Should i buy new RAMs or a new motherboard instead? The price is almost equal.

Run Memtest86+ instead. And what are the rated frequency, timings, and voltage, including the current voltage setting in the BIOS?

Hi redduc900 and thanks for fast reply.
Did not know there was two different memtest. But it was Memtest86+ V4.20 (Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS) *OBSOLETE*) that i used.

I have not had the chance to overclock yet since i'm running with stock cooler, so everything is almost on default.
The only things i've changed is
*CPU bus speed : DRAM speed ratio 100:133 "if i change it to 100:100 the computer wont even boot.
*Memory freq 2400MHz
*Voltage manually at 1.65V

Run the one that has (New) next to it.

Did it and same thing :(

But i tried to lowering the RAM speed to 2133 and guess what. 7 hours with memtest+ and no errors.
I'm scratching my head over this and don't know if it is the RAM och mobo that causing it.
Should i return my RAM and hope to get a new pair?

At DDR-2400 make sure the timings are set to 11-13-13-33-2T @ 1.65V. And according to the pic you posted of Memtest, the RAM is only running at DDR3-1066 (1072). Almost certainly the modules don't have programmed SPD timings of 7-4-8-x at 533Mhz. Post pic's of CPU-Z open to the Memory and SPD tabs so we can view the current DRAM freq. and timings, including the SPD timings at their programmed frequencies. And list the timings and voltage when the modules were clocked at DDR3-2133.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late answer. Have been working the graveyard shift.

Here we go

CPU-Z Memory
33590538.jpg

CPU-Z SPD
65805611.jpg

46287509.jpg

ASUS SPD Info
img20130529202513.jpg

img20130529202525.jpg

And more bios setting at DIGI+
img20130529184535.jpg

A another one from Memtest+
img20130529191852.jpg

Both Voltage and timings was the same when i tried 2133. I only changed the speed.

Last edited:
Oh sorry. To tired after 30 working hours at two days :)
Edited my post.

I did try XMP earlier on the first day i got all the parts, the the CPU went haywire and could not reach over 3500mhz

Sorry, but i'm not that familiar with timings since i never cared about it. Never heard of tRCD and tRP, but i guess it's RAS to CAS and RAS precharge?

I gave 11-14-14-33 @ 1.67 V a run, and i got 500+ errors in 30min. Less then before, but still :(
What's causing this? Is it the RAMs or the mainboard?
Also just for the curiosity. Why is the SPD different compared to the manufacturers specs?

Again. Thanks redduc for the help and time!

If you're still getting errors, then it's time to RMA the RAM. The manufacturer, Kingston in your case, are the ones that program the SPD / XMP timings. Why they differ from those specified on the label or on their site is anybody's guess.

Ok, hopefully the new RAMs will solve my problems with games :)

Any word of advice what i should tell the company? I have to return it to the company here in Sweden where i bought them and they need all the info what's wrong and what causing it.

Personally I wouldn't go through the hassle of returning them. I'd just lower the DRAM frequency to the nearest stable DDR3-2133 settings you were running before. The difference in bandwidth between the two frequencies is miniscule, considering you'll be able to tighten the timings to equal or surpass the bandwidth at 1200Mhz anyway.

Yes that's true.
But i don't like the idea of buying faulty things :) Have to make up my mind next week.

If i return the RAMs, should i maybe chose another brand or speed? How is the speed compared to timings?

Unless you plan on benching your RAM, just pick up some high quality DDR3-1600 w/ tight timings and a low voltage requirement. I'm partial to G.Skill myself, but companies like Mushkin and Corsair also offer high quality RAM kits.

Ok. No benching here, just gaming :) But i have plans to OC the CPU when i recieve my new cooler.

How many "if any" errors are acceptable when running memtest before you have to do something about it?

Hmm on second thought. I don't think it's the RAM's that causing the problems, it might be my bios. It seems like timings that are left at auto get stuck with timings from the 2133 XMP or JEDEC. Hard to explain, but i need help to trubleshoot some more.

Since im not use to terms when it come to timing i have no idea what theese stands for
*tRC
*tWR
*tRRD
*tRFC
*tWTR
*tRTP
*tFAW
*tCWL

And here are two more pics what i mean.
Take a look at "DRAM REF Cycle Time" it should be at 312 when i runing at 2400 "xmp profile 1", but it's not. And there are more timings that are messed up to.

img20130604210933.jpg

img20130604201722.jpg

tRC = Row Cycle Time
tWR = Write Recovery Time
tRRD = RAS# to RAS# Delay
tRFC = REF Cycle Time
tWTR = Write to Read Delay
tRTP = Read to Pre Time
tFAW = Four ACT Win Time
tCWL = CAS# Write Latency

Back