• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 to similar MB today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, 6 SATA is enough.

Fans, great. I will see what I can even get here. I don't really need all the flashing lights, but hey it's a cool bonus. haha.

Yes, it's my money, I know, I want the extra RAM, I don't plan to upgrade again for awhile, it will be nice to have it available if I do install a cool game or three.

GPU, got it. things have changed then, I know before their were dual slot cards, but like the one i have only uses one. So, yeah, ok, I can use two if it gets me a better card with more funtionality and helps with the folding and IF I decide to play a game or three.

On games, yes, ok, clarification, I play simcity, it's friggin old, not even sure it would run on the newer machines anyway, but there are new versions of it, so yeah, the good GPU will speed things up, it's nice to have.

For a 630W power supply, sure, it helps let me have some room to spare and I like that. thanks. headroom is needed.

I have stock in Nvidia, and I like them, thus.. you know... haha.

Some specs say it is USB 3.1 [EDIT, sorry that is type C connector.. so nevermind... ], I guess that just means it can support it? I know what you mean that usb 2 will not become faster when plugged into usb 3, I know, the device needs to be able to handle it, but more and more devices will need the usb 3 in the future.

trents, thanks. that is useful to know also. It seems the Z is indeed what I need. I won't be doing much with graphics so Z sounds exactly right.

So with that in mind, and with everything above, can you recommend a couple of other boards for me to look over the specs for? I must be searching wrong in newegg, because titles are not coming up with i9 support with the specs I enter. EDIT: I may not be able to get the ASUS Prime Z390-A LGA 1151 here, looks like sold out, or not easy to get. I would like a few different ones to make sure they have at least one of them.

Ok so I went and did some quick checking on local prices, these are from NTD to USD. Some of products I could not find exactly and may have to substitute, but this is what I found, let me know what you think. I will go to the computer market downtown to buy the system, will get better prices than these for sure, but not sure how much discount, probably $100-$200 less there for the whole thing. Got some friends in some industries also that may be able to get me some discounts.

PS EVGA 650W GD 80PLUS $88
GQ and GD seem more expensive, what are these for?

CORSAIRHydro H100i PRO RGB CPU $133

Intel i9-9900k $513

HyperX Impact DDR4 3200 16GB 4x $650 I cannot find the other one online that you recommended presently, but I won't pay this much for it, so I need to look around. Can you advise which memory brands will work best with the setup? I'm not paying $650 for memory, I am sure I can find it cheaper.

MB - depending. still thinking.

AORUS GeForce RTX 2060 XTREME 6G $477

EDIT: So there is no confusion, every dollar I have written or will write in the thread is in USD.

Last edited:
GD/GQ/GD are lower tier EVGA PSUs. They will be fine, but, are mediocre compared to the G3/P3 and Seasonic units.

Brands? Memory is all the same for the most part. If you pick a board, they have QVL lists you can look at which shows compatibility. That said, not everything is on the list that works... With intel most anything you stick in there will work. The point is 4x16GB DDR4 3200 MHz. ;)

So with that in mind, and with everything above, can you recommend a couple of other boards for me to look over the specs for? I must be searching wrong in newegg, because titles are not coming up with i9 support with the specs I enter.
Stop searching that way. :p

Z390 chipset board is what you are looking for. This chipset natively supports the i9-9900K.

Some specs say it is USB 3.1 [EDIT, sorry that is type C connector.. so nevermind... ], I guess that just means it can support it? I know what you mean that usb 2 will not become faster when plugged into usb 3, I know, the device needs to be able to handle it, but more and more devices will need the usb 3 in the future.
USB Type-C can be USB 3.1 Gen2 (fastest) or G1 (fast as 3.0). But your case doesn't have one I would have to guess. But just look for USB 3.1 Gen 2 header and USB 3.0 headers on the board/specs.

Last edited:
I will have to ask them then if they have the EVGA g3 you are recommending. I only searched one online shopping site, as I forgot the other resources, probably in the computer market they will have it, but good to know about the meanings of those others in case they try to pass it off to me, I will demand a higher quality PSU EVGA or Sea sonic. Thanks for that, very important. No wonder they are cheaper.

I will search the Z390 series only. Just don't know why newegg does not say they support the i9 chipset. not updated yet perhaps.

and for memory, ok, got it. It is hard to come by 16gb x 4 it seems as most people don't do that. They go 8gb x 4 mostly, but that is again online shopping, so I hope I can find it in the computer market. They should know what is compatible with whatever board they have that meets my requirement.

This should be fun, I will do more research, but I am looking forward to getting a new machine. The whole water cooler fan is cool, never thought I would buy one, but the new version are very put together and all a closed system. I love it, and not overly expensive now either. Do these every leak by the way? I have pets... and what is actually inside of them? anti-freeze? or just water?

THere isn't anything wrong with those series that I know of... they just aren't tier1 units.

i9 isn't a chipset, its a CPU type.... and very generic. There are i9's on the X299/HEDT platform as well... ;)

They do not leak unless there is a catastrophic failure. Internal fluids will vary.. not sure.

What form factor are you looking for? ATX? mATX? And what is your budget? You seemed to balk at the prices of the X boards. Yet, you are going for the more expensive 9900k over the 9700k. The 9900k will work alright in the Z boards but do you really need it for what kind of computing you do? Actually, you should probably be looking at the 9600k.

Will you be buying online or from a brick and mortar store? It would be more efficient for you to link me the vendors you might use so I can see what they have in stock?

As far as RAM goes, in the usual amounts PC enthusiasts use (16-32 gb) it seldom makes any difference what brand you choose with the Intel platform. If you are determined to cram as much RAM onto a board as possible then making sure you check the motherboard vendor's QVL list becomes more important, especially RAM in the higher frequency ranges. I would also think spending more to get a high quality motherboard would increase the chances of having a system be stable when running large amounts of fast RAM. Whenever you push components to the limit, checking into compatibility issues and going high quality becomes more important.

As far as USB 3.1 goes, I think you need to study up on the USB 3.1 standard to understand what it covers. These days there are a multitude of USB connector shapes and sizes and transfer rates/protocols. There are not yet a lot of devices that even are able to use or at least benefit from the higher transfer rate of USB 3.1. Make sure you know about USB 3.1 "C". USB 3.1 is backwards compatible with earlier USB standards electronically but the "C" connector on a motherboard may not be physically compatible with your devices without an adapter.

Last edited:
Budget was listed in his second post... 2000-2500 USD.

He's also in Taiwan... so (I) wasn't doing the conversions and such....

Heuuu... No gaming, no prod, browsing the Internet... Grab 32 gigs of entry DDR3 used for a couple of hundred and spend the rest on whatever you want!

You won't see a difference between sata 3 and nvme unless you handle big files.

Thanks for all that...

So now I have some things to think about... Do I really need i9-9900? Is it really going to bring any major advantages.. 9600 or 9700 might be ok, still over 4ghz. Also the DDR4 3200, do I really need something that fast?

I can get the i9 chip or others for less than retail, but only on the cpu, not on other components.

Hmmmm ok... So 3200 is a must. but is a 9900 a must??? There's the big question. haha. I am still leaning towards yes, because I don't plan to upgrade again for 5-6 years...

Well, you have a lot of information and suggestions to ponder now and that has served to kind of make you aware of what is current technology. Seems like you just have to settle on some decisions. If you ponder too long technology will have gone through enough change that what we have shared will not be relevant. But one thought. If you go with a 9600k and it proves to be inadequate then you can always sell it and move up. Just because you make certain component decisions now doesn't mean you are stuck in concrete with them until your next major upgrade in 5-6 years.

My motto is to get the best you can/want to afford. :)

I'm in agreement with this totally. And my friend told me that the 9900 chip based on their testing should be more reliable than the other bins for the 9600 or 9700 chips, so he is also recommending the 9900. The price difference for me between those is only about $80-120, so I believe I am going to choose the 9900. But I need to look over the RAM that will be more stable with whatever board I choose with that cpu.

Yep, got lots of info, and I appreciate it. and yes, I know I have to make a decision soon, unfortunately the 9900 chip is kinda sold out right now, so I need to wait a little while to get it. I will probably post back with some MB choices, and get your feedback. The one that was posted before by I think it was Earthdog with the cpu/MB set, is probably the one I will go with.

Could someone tell me the difference between DUAL-RTX2060-O6G and ROG-STRIX-RTX2060-O6G-GAMING. Yeah I see the name difference, but the specs, are quite similar, but the price is about $30 more. Would it matter which Video card I buy? Will any of the RTX2060 be suitable?

Could someone tell me the difference between DUAL-RTX2060-O6G and ROG-STRIX-RTX2060-O6G-GAMING.
Well, a quick look at the cards... The ROG Strix has three fan cooler while the 'dual' has two fans. I am not sure offhand if the heatsinks are different but I would also imagine (you would have to look it up and confirm) that the Strix card has a better VRM... but again, not sure, look at some reviews to confirm. BUt that is what is obvious to me without looking it up.

Would it matter which Video card I buy? Will any of the RTX2060 be suitable
Performance wise, not really... some are quieter than others etc, but, you will have to read reviews and see if that is something you really care about.

Last edited:
Back