• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Rampage III Extreme - a Closer Look

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The RAM does get in the way of the fan hold-down clip. Actually you cannot use the 1st slot at all as the fan blocks that completely, a real oversight on the design layout, same with the add on NB HSF.

Oh and the RAM is definitely worth it :)

Thanks for the info. I'll be getting either R3E or E760 for a mobo, and either those GTs or some Mushkin DDR3-2000 8-8-7-24 ($140 cheaper) for RAM. I'm having trouble deciding, so I'm really looking forward to this.

enough talk where are the test results :D

Seriously tho I'm having trouble choosing on this and the Classy so your findins will help alot of ppl I'm sure.

Sorry for the delay guys, my experience thus far has been nothing but filled with frustration and dissapointment. I cannot get pass 210 bclck with a number of CPU's that can do much higher on my RIIE.
Untill Asus sorts out the bios I will not be able to continue this review.
Other seasoned benchers on OCF have also experienced issues with this board :(

Yep mine is going back in the box and in the closet. Will wait for Asus to come up with something, but I'm not really patient!!!

this is dissapointing, maybe EVGA is looking better.....

I see alot of 133x34 stuff and was excited when I saw billythekid hit 250x17 , boostedevo hit 243x17 but this seems to be isolated...

I think the board has potential, it needs a good solid bios though so hopefully Asus will focus on that otherwise the board will not be such a big success as its predecessor.
I can easily hit 230 bclck with my RIIE and an i7-920 and that on air.

While high bclk is nice to have, it isn't everything. I don't think you'll see many guys pairing this high end board with 920, and there are lot's of great results already put up with higher tier CPU's on this board. I know you're frustrated at the moment, I just wouldn't give up on it yet.

yes the 980's are doing well but who wants to sell a kidney let alone try and find a buyer for it. I wont hold my breath for decent bios support from ASUS they seem to drop the ball on that alot...

I think I'll go order a Classified

Thanks for the update Brolloks. I've also been monitoring the R3E thread over at XS and I'm sure that ASUS will be following up with more BIOS releases. Have you and Icebob been using/testing with the initial 0402 BIOS? I'm still hopeful for this board to become a real winner. Competition is a good thing. That being said I'm eagerly waiting for my E760 to come back from RMA... I had very little time on it when the board failed.

Wow, this is really disappointing. I've been waiting forever for Provantage to have mine shipped to me, but now i'm really sad because i can already stabilize my 920 d0 at 214 on a RII Gene, and if this board can't even do that then what's the point? other than adding a third 5870, it's a waste.

I tested the board with the latest 0534 bios and could still not match the OC's with the 980X on the RIIE, not sure if I got a bad board or what:shrug:

Will revert back to the RIIE untill the Gigabyte X58 UD9 hits the market:salute:

brollocks,

shame you are having such a hard time

I am using the R3E and I am currently up to 231 BCLK with the 0531 bios and a 920 D0 and water cooling on the CPU.

Back