• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS ROG HERO VII - Stuck in Bios FlashBack!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SwartHack

Babysitter for OCF Lounge Day Care, Still a bad-as
So I am kinda tripping on this, been working on it off and on the last week expecting something to happen, but nada!

I have an Asus support ticket, but so far all they can do is recommend I watch worthless videos that tell me nothing, Baah!

I seem to be stuck in BiosFlashBack.
This is a ROG utility where you just plug in a USB drive with the BIOS update and hit a back panel button.
Which I n ever actually did?!! I always use the BIOS flash utility.

At one point the button and a particular mobo light (indicating Bias FlashBack in progress) starting blinking and the power/reset button stopped working.
The only way to boot up was to hit the clear CMOS button.

I have the current 3103 version as M7H.CAP on a thumb drive as I had updated BIOS sometime ago.
At one point on a reset, on POST it stopped and claimed a Bios FlashBack was in process and to insert a usb drive with M7H.CAP, which I did.
It also warned not to re-start, that the system will re-boot automatically. It never did, so I powered down and re-started with the USB drive in the flashback port...

At this point it booted up to the Flash Utility, where I selected the .CAP file, and told it to flash the BIOS, which it did...

But on restart, the FlashBack button and mobo led continue to flash and I still can't use the power button to start...

Once booted up with the clear CMOS button, I can re-start, but if I shut-down the condition continues...

I have checked my battery and tried a few different ones...

Anybody? Thanks!!!

Salud

If you can get it to post and get into the Bios then you should be golden, but I'm guessing you can't get in the bios for anything.

Edit: just reading some more about your MB, I'd just re-download the bio for that board stick it on a freshly formatted USB stick and try it again. That USB stick might have something wrong with it and when you attempted to fix the problem you just put another corrupted bios on that MB, I mean it's unlikely, but anything can happen with these machine, and.. I'm grasp-in-at-air here. Just a thought I'm sure you've done already, but I just wanted to see myself type some and try to get better at it. :chair:

Last edited:
Suggestion:
Look at the BIOS chip on your board and then look at this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NANO-USB-Pr...593344?hash=item3f2b8ce400:g:B6QAAMXQrNtR0sQZ

These will flash either a standard (Older) BIOS chip or one with 8 legs, the slot for that is at the middle of the unit.
If it's a BIOS corruption problem one of these will fix it, if the chip itself went bad then the only option would be to replace the chip.

Best thing about these is they are easy to use for reprogramming, wiping clean a chip, ect.... And no risk to the chip's board getting stuck in a bad BIOS flash. Just make sure you use the right BIOS file for the board being flashed and it's good to go. If you decide to get one be sure to get the software and all other things you can download for it, links are on the seller's/item's page.

Have one of these and I love it. :cool:

could be that the bios flashback button is stuck on or shorted internally, causing it to stay in flashback mode
my faith in asus has dwindled to rather low. just bought a maximus viii gene and had it go to crap in 2 weeks. thought it was dead. had to flash every bios they offered. the next to last one (literally) brought it back to boot

Have you tried using the flashback with a different BIOS file. Could be the bios on that flash is corrupt. I would try something older like 1302 IIRC it has worked well for me. I've never had the FB utility act like this.

I didn't know the Asus bios file was .CAP. I thought all the bios (vga and mobo) were all .BIN :confused:

.CAP is the right extension
PS: I thought that was Max 8 which is the one I have so I don't know the version but I would still try an older one

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback my OCF people!!!

Couple responses:

wingman99 said:
Can you flash the Bios with the PC booted up using the USB Drive?
t1nm4n said:
If you can get it to post and get into the Bios then you should be golden, but I'm guessing you can't get in the bios for anything.
Edit: just reading some more about your MB, I'd just re-download the bio for that board stick it on a freshly formatted USB stick and try it again.​
So yeah, all of this and then some...
I was able to get into the BIOS by pushing the clear CMOS button. And was able to us the BIOS Flash util.
I could restart, but as soon as I shut down and fired back up, stuck again!!!
I have since stripped down the board. This is supposed to work on standby power with basically no components installed/present.
Still no luck...
Now when I press the CMOS reset, I get "00"s boot code!!!

Which leans me toward dejo's comment:
dejo said:
could be that the bios flashback button is stuck on or shorted internally, causing it to stay in flashback mode....my faith in asus has dwindled to rather low.

I think something may have tweaked during this process/problem:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ench-Project?p=7973215&viewfull=1#post7973215

I've had nothing but problems since dealing with that kit's PCH. And Bitspower is no help at all. Look for a not so favorable review of this kit in future proj posts..
I think I am done with "Gaming" mobo's and ROG. So many bells and whistles you don't need. I do dig my Sabertooth 990fx so far. Just the freaking basic's and solid.
My next mobo will be a ASUS z170 sabertooth mobo...

Johan45 said:
Have you tried using the flashback with a different BIOS file. Could be the bios on that flash is corrupt. I would try something older...
I have tried the previous version, I will try a couple of the older versions, or per dejo the very last one.

Dr. McCoy said:
Suggestion: Look at the BIOS chip on your board and then look at this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NANO-USB-Pro...QAAMXQrNtR0sQZ
Whoot, that looks dang cool! Gotta get me one of them, no matter what it does. Will definitely look into that...
ED - Thanks for your thanks:D

So basically I have been offered an RMA by ASUS. As they have NOTHING to offer, even to my most specific questions!?!
Has anyone ever dealt with an ASUS RMA before?
I have asked them to clarify, that if they can't fix it will they replace it? And if so will the replacement unit be new or reconditioned?!
No response yet? Rig is over a year old and I didn't put it on my SquareTrade account, so surprised they are even offering?!

Will keep on trying until I hear back on the RMA...

Salud

I ahve one of those little programmers too. It is handy when a board refuses to post.

So this is what it has come to...

Watch, observe and be mesmerized....
If this did work, how long should it take. Let it go for half-hour!!!

What say anyone about ASUS RMA?!

Cheers!

I'm with Wingman, that was funny.

The longest I think I've ever had a bios flash take was around 5 min, but that was on an old Soyo KT333 MB.

Id say you Bios chip is bad or that USB stick is shot, it looks like the MB is trying to read the data from the stick but something fails or it's stalling cause the Bios chip is bad. Last ditch before you send it out is to use a different USB Stick, format new stick and make sure nothing else is on there, download the Bios again and try it like that. I've got a few bad USB sticks, can be read some of the time but most of the time they just don't seem to want to let me read from them.

As for Asus RMA, never had to deal with them, but from what I've read on the interwebs is if it's not a ROG or Saberkitty board your screwed, but if you have ROG or sabertooth you should be just fine.

OK- You make one wise crack, and Bing! Bang! Boom!
What happened to my Thanking ability!??!!
ED????:shrug:

Eskerrik Asko!!!:cool:

It does look as if it's in a loop. I'm leaning toward BIOS chip. You can see where it starts to write and should finish but starts over. So yeah could be chip or bad USB but you've already tried different files so the list is shortening. Some vendors will do a cross ship. Send you a new one and charge your CC. Then clear the charge when the old one is returned and checked.

You can only thank so many times in a given time frame. It is to prevent 'thanks dilution' among other things. :)

Going for the RMA

ASUS said:
Hello Eric,
Thank you for your response.
Thank you for writing back to us with the information requested.
We found that your product is within the warranty time and have initiatedthe RMA from our end.
I have placed the RMA request for your product.
Please note the RMA number and case number for your future reference.
You should have received the RMA instructions now. Please check your inboxfor the RMA instructions and proceed accordingly.
The RMA process will take 5-7 business days. This does not include shippingtime or certain exception.

5-7 days!!! OK wingman, taking bets on this! Over-Under/Exact Day/Money-line...

They never directly answered my question as to replacement terms, we'll see I guess.
I't kinda like sending a loved on away, and just not knowing...

I'm getting one of those one usb programer things though, for next time...

Tot Ziens

Post back how it works out with Asus, I would like to know so I can help someone who does a recent RMA with them. I say 3 weeks.:)

And It's OFF!!!

IMG_2968.JPG

Isn't that pretty, yes like many of us I am super OCD about keeping original packaging/boxes...
This board has never seen a case, so I left in all the unopened accessories: backpanel, SLI cable, etc.
I am hoping to get some new old stock possibly, maybe?????

OK-So any of you crusty old timers and/or robe wearing forum demagogues must be in the know on this.. :eek:
Do they really try to service it. Is it worth the cost of tech time/labor?
Don't they have a warehouse somewhere full of new-old stock, or does all of that go on alibaba and/or other "free trade areas" !!!:shock::salute:

So here is the preliminary line on all this:

Asus service center is in Jeffersonville, Indiana 47130. Delivered to "Dock C" specifically...
They state return is FedX Ground, so I sent it to them FedX Ground today.
I will post the delivery confirmation when I get it, from then to the Date/Time they ship the return is the period in question. Actual service time!

OverUnder - 13.5 days - even money
Total days:7/2
Total days/hours:10/1
Total days/hour/minutes: 175/3

Also get in on the action of: fixed, replace reconditions or replace new-old stock.
Odds to post soon!!

Winnings!!!
A great feeling of self achievement because you won!!! multiplied by the odds!
I may scrounge up some possible prizes if there is action:sly:

Luego

I think Asus has a removable Bios chip, they probably will change it and test. Did you copy the S/N?

I wish you well on the Asus RMA. I have not had good experiences with them. Don't get your hopes up.

Back