• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus ROG Maximus IV Hero vs. GA-Z87X-UD5H

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hazzyftw

Hey guys, so as per my previous post in this forum i found the problem was my crucial ram, which was short-circuiting anything it came in contact with (destroyed two GA-Z87X-UD5H's motherboards, one i7 4470k at the store on the hands of the techs who were extremely perxpled. It also killed my MSI Z87-G45 and my ultra 750W power supply, RMAing all these this week along with those damn cursed ram sticks).

Now that i got my system up and running with a few different parts, i wanted to ask for some feedback regarding them as im noticing somewhat odd operation.

Components that have changed: GA-Z87X-UD5H, a Coolmax ZU1000B (1000w modular) and Kingston red - 8GB Module - DDR3 1600MHz CL10 DIMM.

So far its running pretty well, although im noticing some oddities when i power it up; everything power up nicely and then somehow gets just a bit dimmer (this happens at the same time the LED debug goes through a sequence of different numbers, and stops at A0).
Im still able to exchange all 3 but i really want to refrain from it as im somewhat terrorized by the uphill battle from the past 2 days :(
Thus the only thing id dare to change currently would be the MoBo, and my local tigerdirect currently has a few maximus IV hero's for 189$. The gigabyte board was 229.
SO if anyone would be as kind as to toss some good advice my general direction as for what to exchange/keep, thatd be great.

Edit: realized the little dimming-like effect comes from the PWM system in the board, scared the crap out of me lol. Found a stable OC at 4.3, no issues playing skyrim or hitman absolution on max, temps around 44-55C.

Last edited:
So are you asking which is the better board among the MSI Z87-G45, Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H, and the ASUS Max IV Hero?

I don't have any experience with the Haswell stuff, but I don't think you can go wrong with the UD5H. I think the Hero has higher OCing potential and maybe some features, but really either one you should be fine with.

Naw, my G45 is toast. The UD5H is what i have set up right now, and i left it running a mild stress test to see how it fairs with the current 4.3 Ghz (gonna check the Tmax's/Delta T's when i get home).

Edit: Highest it hit was 68, and when i rebooted it gave me an error 79, but after resetting the cmos and turning it on it booted on to the bios just fine, and then on to the OS while still loading my prior over clock (odd, heh) and is running fine now. Must note that i do OC but not too fiercely so idk if the Hero would be better suited for such endeavors.

Must also note that i do love all the added troubleshooting perks engrained in the UD5H, all it took was the LED debug light, the manual and 3 secs of trouble shooting to get it back up.

Stick with the UD5H. You do not need the Hero. Its made for Extreme overclocking (Dry Ice/LN2) really... or at least has features you will not be using.

Last edited:
Hey earth, thanks again for your input. Im wondering about the Hero because of the pro-OC capabilities it has along with the excellent ratings. I'm currently running my 4770K at 4.3 Ghz (1.15-1.2 Vcore) with idle temps of 32-35C (p.w.m. won't allow me to keep fans at 70% at all times :/, but does respond to benchmark tests nicely, cranking more power from the fans when needed. What has me concerned about the UD5H is the mixed ratings its received regarding over clocking/long term sturdiness.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128593

Edit: also forgot to the note the 40$ cheaper aspect about it

Last edited:
Newegg reviews, LOL! We have a thread here making fun of them. You can see the first guy had an issue with his PSU, not the board. Tons of stories like that in there. To me, they are only good for DOA information as a lot are user error/incompatibility.

You do not need "Pro-OC" capabilities on air/water. My take is not to pay for em. :)

Lol well yeah earth i know there's a lot of inept users (not touting myself as a powerhouse either, far from it). But i can see what you mean. Can you provide sources with reliable comparisons/reviews of these boards? Thanks :)

I cannot. Sorry. Either board you will be happy with, but I personally do not see the point of moving to the Hero. It will not help get you further with overclocking... but if you like its features, go for it!

I know the OC beyond that point depends on the cooling/experience of the user in OCing, but as i stated my core fear is stability and sturdiness. The UD5H has a bunch of awesome features and I'm not going to lie, the amount of tools for added trouble shooting really make it a great mobo, especially for me since I'm not overly experienced, but what i fear the most is having it go to **** on me in less than an year.

Again thanks for your input gents :)

Even the Hero or much higher class boards can crap out on you in a year. I do not see a problem with this board.

GL with your purchase. :)

Back