• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus says Crosshair V Formula is the best AMD motherboard in the world

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They're saying the CHV Thunderbolt is the best 990FX gaming package. IMO It is.
Gigabyte's offering for the 990FX is a good board, but they don't have a 'package' like this.

The Thunderbolt is a Killer NIC and a CMI8788 audio card with headphone AMP on one PCB.

The CHV, for what its worth, is quite a good board, and was the board AMD chose to send out as part of its press kit with an 8150 pre-launch. Whether thats simply due to a better relationship with ASUS vs Gigabyte, I don't know. It is certain that nobody else's 990FX offering is as good as the 990UD7 and CHV, but it is unarguable that the widest featureset atm belongs to the CHV Thunderbolt. So, its an accurate statement.

So the only place you can plug in the PCIe x1 sound/lan card is between the two PCIe x16 slots leaving you with only enough space for a single slot GPU in slot #1, how crazy is that boys and girls:screwy:

Attachments

• TB.jpg
    TB.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 109
?
No you can plug it into any PCIE slot.
My 1X soundcard lives in a 4X slot.
I agree that this is a stupid implementation vs Gigabytes G1 implementation, though.

No SLI/CFX for joo...

Is the Thunderbolt like the ROG sound cards of the past, where they can only be plugged into a certain slot and work? If not, then it should work in the PCIe x16 slots at the bottom, right?

?
No you can plug it into any PCIE slot.
My 1X soundcard lives in a 4X slot.
I agree that this is a stupid implementation vs Gigabytes G1 implementation, though.

Based on the previous ROG cards, this isn't the case.... I hope Asus would have changed that limitation by now.

Most boards have a free PCIe x1 slot to the left of the 1st PCIe x 16 so you can plug in sound cards

No SLI/CFX for joo...

Is the Thunderbolt like the ROG sound cards of the past, where they can only be plugged into a certain slot and work? If not, then it should work in the PCIe x16 slots at the bottom, right?

Based on the previous ROG cards, this isn't the case....

I think you're right, all of the ROG boards I have had you have to plug it into the designated PCIe x1 slot
This hopefully is not the case

So the only place you can plug in the PCIe x1 sound/lan card is between the two PCIe x16 slots leaving you with only enough space for a single slot GPU in slot #1, how crazy is that boys and girls:screwy:
OMG... :facepalm:

And yeah, there is usually a 1x slot on top of the first PCIe x16 slot.

@ ocnoob - other sound cards will do this, not so sure about the ROG which require an Asus Mobo it seems.

Maybe best package but why there is so many users complaining for different issues with these boards ... For me gigabyte has better design but problems with bios options.

So how is it with Asus Crosshair V? My friend is about to pick up a second GTX560 Ti for SLI and the LAN card - he can place the LAN card in any slot, right?

What I want to know is if ASUS plans on making a CHV Extreme. I'm about to pick up an CHIVE for benching. The only thing that is appealing to me at this time is the native support for SLI. Anyone know what slots support x16 in dual SLI on the CHV?

What I want to know is if ASUS plans on making a CHV Extreme. I'm about to pick up an CHIVE for benching. The only thing that is appealing to me at this time is the native support for SLI. Anyone know what slots support x16 in dual SLI on the CHV?

Nope... No plans for CHVE. The Formula TB is their "Top-Dog" for this chipset.

Back