• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Silent Square cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

Anyone ever heard of or used a cooler called the Asus Silent Square?

I saw one of these a while back and was wondering if anyone had ever used one of them and/or if these were any good.

Looks fairly massive, no idea if it cools all that well though.

without bashing anything, i just went through getting another heat sync for one computer, i had 3 things, err 4 thing, i mean 10 things i ended up as conciderations.
(3 when i went out to buy, 10 when i realised what they were selling still)

Nice copper base
either copper inset heat pipes or touch style, prefer flat copper base to bad touch style with gaps between disimaler metals
the base should not be a waste, if it is going to be there and a big gap too, Fin it

120mm fan + possibility for adding one more if ever needed
Non-propriatary fan, because fans die, and then i have to completly remod one to fit thier spaces
actual duel ball bearing fan, last 3 times longer , and make less noise Later in time.
Fan can be purchaced seperate i dont care what they put on the thing.
4 pin PWM capable

mount for the board type, mount can be irritating as long as it isnt useless
Clearance for rams
clearance for chipset , be that high towering or just the right size, in this board it was 120x120+
i do not like too long distances between base and cooling fins , being horizontal heat pipes are not AS fast
general Heat pipe logic , lots of square inches of heat transfer be that many pipes or less big fat suckers
Within 3-4 degrees of the better coolers when tested
not excessive in weight, because it is going horizontal.

I didnt need Cute , led, or really want a lot of Art , especially if it effects something.

i got 7 of 10 for the one i got. but that was all they had local :-(

------------------
the square fails on fan propriety , fan size , re-configuring ability.
has nice base , adequite heat piping , unnessisary cap on top, removable.
there is also 2-3 versions of it too, dont know which one you were talking about.
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2213&page=4
testing temps are ok, but not great , sound is relative to 92mm fans.

another thing to concider with a Fan in the center model, even things like spinQ or zalman,
you cant take the fan off and have working room for assembly. could be a big assembly concideration
-----------------------------------

i ended up with an Open side style instead of boxed up with plastic. i did not like the boxed up style.
At home analized fan flow
the fan was balanced better having a deeper pitch at the hub, and less pitch at the end of the fans blades
still lots of the air shoots out the side of the cooler , covering with hands the sides, certannly Jamms more air through the cooler
but i could add in something easy if i thought that was nessisary.

stupid machined base was terrible, took 15 min to resurface it a bit.
another thing that some makers think is cute to do is have a convex base for the processor, i dont agree with that, when seeing the 2 core items (quad) in there i am trying to cool, and i now have a lapped processor, flat is fine. even though convex might work on a test base better.

Last edited:
Psycogeec, I will disagree with you about a convex base. A properly finished convex base will work well with both monolithic quads and "glued together" quads such as Core 2 Quad. In my testing, first on a Q6600 and now on i7, I find that heatsinks with a properly done convex base such as my TRUE Rev. C are still right at the top in performance. But a properly lapped base will also work well too, so I won't take that away from folks that want to lap their base. And a flat base seems to work better with the HDT style bases with the exposed heatpipes.

Tech Tweaker, that's a pretty old design and I imagine that it will be thoroughly eclipsed in performance by a more modern heatsink. If you already have it you can try it out but I wouldn't buy one new, especially at a $50+ price point.

Psycogeec, I will disagree with you about a convex base. .

properly finished ? as in resurfaced by user so it ends up by default being down a bit? or as it came?
do you think it will work ok with me, when i was going for flattening/lapping the top cap of my processor, and instead ended up with the thinnest layer of copper, or (in other words) no thickness to copper spreader item on the top of the cores?

i was going for removal of texture on the top, and ended up removing most of the cap, OOPS . then i had to stop, because it is soldered after that, and i didnt have any way to deal with 2 different metals being ground down and staying flat, and i really didnt want to risk tearing the cap off completly, or getting metal shavings where i cant get them out and all.
so
i ended up stuck inbetween raw and capped, but it still works much better than textured and somewhat rounded on the edges.

:) i saw people taking 6-8 hours to lap, using same grit, and thought it was thicker than that , didnt take me but an hour to wipe most of it off.

Last edited:
I'm saying properly finished by the manufacturer, not polished up by the user. And yes, I have also been in the position of having a bad base finish too, from some older Thermalright heatsinks. With those, lapping the heatsink base made a big difference in temps. If I get a heatsink that doesn't perform like I think it should, the first thing I check is the shaped of the heatsink base for irregularities.

As for the IHS on procs, I've seen a few that were fairly bad, but none that required me to lap it almost all the way off. If it were that bad I would RMA it with the manufacturer before trying to lap that severe a problem out.

Now let's quit hijacking Tech Tweaker's thread about the Asus heatsink, since the process of lapping or not lapping has nothing to do with whether the heatsink he's asking about is good or not.:)

Psycogeec, I will disagree with you about a convex base. A properly finished convex base will work well with both monolithic quads and "glued together" quads such as Core 2 Quad. In my testing, first on a Q6600 and now on i7, I find that heatsinks with a properly done convex base such as my TRUE Rev. C are still right at the top in performance. But a properly lapped base will also work well too, so I won't take that away from folks that want to lap their base. And a flat base seems to work better with the HDT style bases with the exposed heatpipes.

Tech Tweaker, that's a pretty old design and I imagine that it will be thoroughly eclipsed in performance by a more modern heatsink. If you already have it you can try it out but I wouldn't buy one new, especially at a $50+ price point.

Nope don't own one, I just happened to be surfing around ebay one day and saw some of them for sale. I'd never heard of them before, nor did I know Asus made heatsinks, so I figured I'd ask around here to see if anyone had used them.

sorry to dig up an old thread but yes i have this cooler. that's my old mATX board. it was literally half the size of the board.

i'm on all air, this is what it can give

you can change out the fan for a better one, you just need a torx screwdriver and a bit of patience. patience i don't have! mine is still stock and does fine.

the stock fan is very quiet, but not so powerful. you can find much better led ones out there if you don't mind using 3pin instead of 4 for a cpu fan. if you do go to the trouble of getting a great fan i think you might have one of the lowest temp air coolers around, even now.

Back