• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Striker 2 extreme "Cooling Solutions"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itsean

hey guys,I need some expert advice here. I'm upgrading an oldie but a goodie and heres how it stands.
I have an asus striker 2 extreme with a q9550 @3.9ghz, acouple of ssds on a 6gb pci card striped and a 560ti in a thermaltake kandalf case.

It's been great for years, but with the new BF4 coming out
im moving on up to a x79 sabretooth, an i7 4820 and a gtx760oc2.
im keeping everything else including the the ram which i'm upgrading to 8gb (currently 4).

I want to bring the mobo, the processor and the 560ti to give to my much younger brother in Ireland to get into gaming and i'm wondering whats the best option for him to keep the motherboard cool. the mobo needs to be water cooled.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Striker_II_Extreme/

is there
(A) any way I can cool it without water and if so, how?
(B) any cheapish rad,pump,fan combo to cool the mobo?
(C) any way to mod a "self contained cooler" to work with the striker 2?

I used to be into this stuff more intensely but have fallen out of practice and could do with some advice.
Thanks in advance guys, and looking forward to jumping back on the wagon again

Last edited:
You would probably have to go with universal blocks unless you can find something for that particular board used.
Probably be fine just using some good airflow through the case to manage the temps. Placing some good, not small 40mm. 120 fans blowing towards the board as in case door fan, should be ok.
With the age of that board, I still have my Striker 1 (don't work), It would probably be cheaper to upgrade the components and use air than to try and watercool with universal blocks and such. The board may not survive the trip even. I know mine didn't survive my last move, for whatever reason.
Just my thoughts. Stick with air on the Striker II.

Yeah, I figure if its not overclocked and with voltages pumped up as it is now, you may be right. I even thought about applying a heatsink instead.
I would love to pass this board on with the CPU as its still in good shape.
thanks for the response

Back