• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus X99-A with 5930K OC advice needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twinduct

Hopefully someone will have the patience to spoon feed me...

So I built this rig with the intentions of using it for photography work with some 4k video viewing. The last few months it has been going good, but I would like to dial it in as I know now from reading this forum the asus ai suite doesn't fully take advantage of what I have. Using the auto tuner in bios I've read also doesn't utilize my hardware fully.

So far I've read from here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/762037-Asus-X99-Deluxe-U3-1-Overclock-Failed
And http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...CPU-voltage-settings-need-an-experienced-user
That
Generally on X99 all you have to do to OC CPU and memory is to set CPU ratio, CPU voltage, memory clock and memory voltage if needed.
All other voltages are required only when you run CPU at really high clocks or when you set 3000+ memory clock at tighter timings.
Also disable C stages and EIST but keep Turbo enabled. In most cases you can keep everything enabled but usually it's easier to achieve full stability when these options are disabled.

So basically I need help with what to edit, in order, to get the most out of my setup. What about all the other things I can disable or enable under the advanced tab in bios? There seems to be so much you can change with regards to overclocking I'm a bit overwhelmed I must say. This is my first OC'ed rig and I haven't built one since the good ole Pentium 4 days lol. That wasn't hard though as computers haven't changed for the most part one bit.

My specs:
Code:
Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory
NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Samsung SM951 128GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card
Corsair 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Black Pearl) ATX Full Tower Case
X2 BenQ BL3201PH 60Hz 32.0" 4K Monitors

My cpu-z report.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UJdY9layIFZI9O3ZcvfuBCLxvKJNkCY45eKCvW-3sPI

Picture of my current setup.
004.jpg

Last edited:
Basically Twin, its as easy as that paragraph you quoted mentioned.

You should keep voltages under 1.4 on the CPU, and temps under 90C while stress testing. The name of the game is to reach a(ny) clockspeed with the least amount of voltage to be stable for your uses. I wouldn't bother overclocking the memory as it yields very little returns in the vast majority of applications. I would just set the XMP profile and go with the memory.

In fact, do the memory first (set XMP profile) as some boards will set BCLK to 125 for 2800+ memory. Once that is done, go ahead and start working on the CPU. A 5930K should be good to around 4.5GHz at 1.35v give or take quite a bit.

I had that car...but in black not the red. Turned out to be the biggest piece of junk ever. At about 5,000 miles, both rear shocks went through the trunk area when I was pulling out of a parking lot. Towed it back to the dealership, and made them give me a full refund...that was the last Mercedes I will ever buy!

As Earthdog stated...it is that simple.

Watch your core temperatures though...this series of processors put out a lot of heat. You have a decent AIO cooler, but it will limit your overclock potential because of the heat.

Ended up getting 4.6ghz stable. Thanks for the help.
Here's the new layout.

2015-12-26%20087-2.jpg

Back