• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus z490A - Ethernet Port - This Might Save a Lot of Troubleshooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I just completed a new build & clean install using the referenced mobo. After everything was up & running I noticed the Ethernet Port was dead. The Device Manager indicated the Intel Ethernet Controller I225-V was properly installed with good drivers but it still appeared dead when an Ethernet cable (proven good on my laptop) was plugged into it. Neither light on the RJ-45 connector would light and the W10 troubleshooter stated no cable was plugged in. Asus tech support had me load three different drivers and then told me the board was bad. I received and installed the replacement mobo today and to my great dismay, the damn thing still would not work. After a few hours of trying various things, including a different power supply, new cables, etc. I got the idea somehow to use a powered switch between the wall jack and the computer. The other end of the wall jack is an AT&T Uverse RG. To my great relief, the light on the RJ-45 lit up and it works perfectly. I plugged the computer directly into the wall jack and, again, no joy.

I have no explanation for this except maybe a design or firmware error in the motherboard. I had no problem with the Asus Z170M Plus mobo plugged into this wall jack just a few days ago. After 25 years of hard wired Ethernet's in my homes and a new mobo every few years this never happened before.

So, if you buy an Asus Prime Z490-A, and it will not connect through the Ethernet connection, just insert a powered switch between the computer and the Ethernet cable and it will magically work.

Is this what your RG looks like on the back? and what port is the wall jack plugged in to? Try plugging the cable in 1 of the yellow ports if it's not already , then your Z490 in to the wall jack.

th.jpg

Not exactly like that but similar. My RG, a 5268AC, has four yellow Ethernet ports like above. Port 1 connects to the common DVR. Port 2 is empty, Port 3 is a home run to the wall jack behind my desk in another room, and port 4 connects to an AT&T M Cell that establishes a mini cell site in my house. There is a red RJ-45 marked "ONT Broadband" and this connects to the fiber port.

It shouldn't be directly related but there is an issue with Intel i225-v NIC which Intel admitted some weeks ago. When it works with some routers or with some other network devices then it starts losing packets or losses the connection. It's on the hardware level so the only thing that Intel could do was to automatically switch to a lower speed when there is mentioned issue. It's controller by a driver so I would check if there is the latest driver installed and the latest BIOS for the motherboard. However, I haven't heard about any other issues related to this NIC and it supposed to happen only above 1Gbit connection.

I just completed a new build & clean install using the referenced mobo. After everything was up & running I noticed the Ethernet Port was dead. The Device Manager indicated the Intel Ethernet Controller I225-V was properly installed with good drivers but it still appeared dead when an Ethernet cable (proven good on my laptop) was plugged into it. Neither light on the RJ-45 connector would light and the W10 troubleshooter stated no cable was plugged in. Asus tech support had me load three different drivers and then told me the board was bad. I received and installed the replacement mobo today and to my great dismay, the damn thing still would not work. After a few hours of trying various things, including a different power supply, new cables, etc. I got the idea somehow to use a powered switch between the wall jack and the computer. The other end of the wall jack is an AT&T Uverse RG. To my great relief, the light on the RJ-45 lit up and it works perfectly. I plugged the computer directly into the wall jack and, again, no joy.

I have no explanation for this except maybe a design or firmware error in the motherboard. I had no problem with the Asus Z170M Plus mobo plugged into this wall jack just a few days ago. After 25 years of hard wired Ethernet's in my homes and a new mobo every few years this never happened before.

So, if you buy an Asus Prime Z490-A, and it will not connect through the Ethernet connection, just insert a powered switch between the computer and the Ethernet cable and it will magically work.

Barryng,

Indeed your post did save me some time! I just did a new build with an Asus ROG Strix Z490-G and ran into the same issue. Fortunately I did the build with a switch, but when I moved it to my media room and connected to my wall jack for further testing, nothing. I also have the Uverse RG. My builds are for music servers, and while I was planning to add a fiber NC this time, it would be nice to know if you found any solutions. Thanks again.

Ethernet Port Issue as well - Asus Prime Z490-A

It shouldn't be directly related but there is an issue with Intel i225-v NIC which Intel admitted some weeks ago. When it works with some routers or with some other network devices then it starts losing packets or losses the connection. It's on the hardware level so the only thing that Intel could do was to automatically switch to a lower speed when there is mentioned issue. It's controller by a driver so I would check if there is the latest driver installed and the latest BIOS for the motherboard. However, I haven't heard about any other issues related to this NIC and it supposed to happen only above 1Gbit connection.

Updated my main board to the Asus Prime Z490-A last night.....same issue, thanks to this thread I found the i225 (or whatever that driver is) to install and get some network connectivity @ 1Gbps only however. Prior to that driver install (everything updated as well as board bios) I had no internet connectivity whatsoever. At least now the board connects via ethernet to the net, albeit when I restart the PC at every restart I have to disable then re-enable the lan connection at which point all is good until the next restart. Minor pain but I suspect not enough to return the board yet for a swap out. I'm curious why or if this is a known issue but I don't really see it plastered all over the net and asus forums. Anyhoo thx to this thread felllas I only lost a little hair over the issue :D

I see that ASUS went with Intel i225 NIC while some others like ASRock or MSI use mostly Realtek Dragon NIC in their gaming series motherboards. There are no issues at all with Realtek. Weird is only that all knew about these issues weeks before Z490 chipset premiere and still used the i225 NIC. I have no problems with my ASUS Strix B550-i Gaming but maybe I'm just lucky. I have Cisco and Netgear at home. Cisco from ISP and after that Netgear 5Gbps WiFi router and Netgear 10Gbps switch.

Interesting topic, thanks for all the info. I have an ASUS Z490-E coming and curious to see how mine does. I run into a powered Linksys switch so hopefully all will be well but we will see in about a week.

I have just finished building an asus rog strix z490-e with a 10850k and 32gb 3200 ram and ive had lots of trouble so far. i had random crashes which i hope i have fixed after reading many people having same problem which was something to do with the ram slots and the xmp profile but ive now set it to xmp 2 and my cpu is at 4.8 all the time and the crashes have stopped ( i hope). Next problem is not quite the same as the op but my internet does lose connection now and then for about 5 seconds and ive tried all the network drivers from asus and intel and i still get it. It all shows up as connected no problem but when i start playing games it sometimes loses connection. i have the BT home hub (latest one) and connected via ethernet and i had no problems with my older asus maximus viii with 6700k. Any ideas ? ive heard its something to do with the z490 chipset not just asus.

I have just finished building an asus rog strix z490-e with a 10850k and 32gb 3200 ram and ive had lots of trouble so far. i had random crashes which i hope i have fixed after reading many people having same problem which was something to do with the ram slots and the xmp profile but ive now set it to xmp 2 and my cpu is at 4.8 all the time and the crashes have stopped ( i hope). Next problem is not quite the same as the op but my internet does lose connection now and then for about 5 seconds and ive tried all the network drivers from asus and intel and i still get it. It all shows up as connected no problem but when i start playing games it sometimes loses connection. i have the BT home hub (latest one) and connected via ethernet and i had no problems with my older asus maximus viii with 6700k. Any ideas ? ive heard its something to do with the z490 chipset not just asus.

Scrap that it just crashed again on me this morning :(

The chipset only provides the pathing and bandwidth for the wifi. Asus uses intel wifi bits iirc... you can see if it's the integrated wifi by using a non intel based add in card. If it hapless on that, it isnt a board issue. ;)

Just wanted to post about my experience with the Z490-A (10850k, 16G Ram 3000MHz) Prime Mobo ethernet. I had done a fresh Windows 10 install with a boot disk from 2017 and the ethernet drivers refused to install correctly, either from the device manager, resource disk or drivers download page. Naturally I scoured the internet and found this discussion, but nothing from here worked immediately, either. I eventually tried it with a newer windows boot disk I made, and the ethernet adapter worked from the get go.

Back