• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Z87 Deluxe Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That was a great review, one of the better ones I've read. What I'm waiting for, however (im)patiently, is a review of the Z87 Expert. The Deluxe is more than I need or want to spend and the Pro leaves me wanting, so I'm wondering if The Expert will be just right (like baby bear's bed). I suppose when Asus distributes the Expert for reviews I'll know.

Some additional info relating to the review from ASUS:

1. We have made adjustments to the 4 way optimization process and tweaked its algorithm slightly. As the result is variable and varies depending on the CPU and cooling we have adjusted for reducing the multiplier value by 1 once the peak speed is verified. This requires a UEFI update and the latest version of AiSuite III.

2. All the fan headers support full manual control. This is important point that even with competitors improving is a difference as many still on chassis headers are limited to basic fixed RPMs vs gradients.

3. For the UEFI there are few key items in the EZ mode ( EZ XMP, EZ Fan Speed and SATA Information ). All were functions and features requested implemented based on development and discussed with our users.

4. Quick note on USB Charger+ and USB 3 Boost. As more users are now using smartphones and tablets and ereaders the ability to quick charge a device is a big plus especially considering we are not limited to just iOS device. USB 3 Boost is a great option for improving the performance of flash based storage devices like Flash Drives, Memory Cards, USB SSD Externals/Enclosures.

5. AiSuite III – There is an important update to application that allows for manual input vs just sliders along with color coded voltages both benefits users with ease of use and a better understanding.

Nice to see them working on 4-way optimization as it was an issue with the board.

Thanks for a very comprehensive review, but as you said in the conclusion people may like to go with a lesser Mobo. I.E. With less bells and whistles and still have a great OCing Board!! AJ. :shrug: ;)

Looking forward to seeing the other Asus Z87 Boards as well! :attn: :salute:

Thanks guys

Very true Ajay57, Im reviewing Hero now and personally it works better for my needs as I dont need a whole lot of extras and I focus more on OCing. Quite a bit cheaper as well. Although I would like to be running PI on my PC from my phone while Im at work haha

Well just a general heads up, this is looking good at the moment maybe you could look into it as well, at some stage in the future. ;) :attn:

1, http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2191/

But what i see lately on the Net is people who have jumped into Haswell complaining about Bios problems and USB ports not working properly! And the Mobo manufactures struggling to kinda catch up with Bios up dates and with the complaints and problems. Yes part of this could be explained by poor ownership or installation Technics, but not every single one, so is the answer to wait a few months till they catch up? And wait till everything settles down and becomes more stable! :shrug: ;)

I was wondering why, now in two threads, you asked about the USB ports Ajay, LOL! In my limited experience (3 boards so far). I have not had any problems with any of the USB ports. Granted, I only have 4 USB devices plugged in (using both USB2 and 3) and don't change them around, but I haven't run across any issues.

That said, with the Mpower MAX, I did have a problem once when trying to update a bios the system froze. I rebooted and tried it again and it worked. (This was outside of me borking the bios by using too much bclk.. they were toasted).

Problems like this are ALWAYS around upon new product releases. If you can't take the slightly higher chance something will be wrong on a new platform, then it is indeed best for one to wait. This is natural...

What is the legit reviews link for? Can you link to a specific page to your talking point please? :)

(Sorry Eldonko, if I stole your thunder).

As they say curiosity killed the cat!! Its just internet chatter and looking into different Haswell Motherboards and just Google this and that, i will post something when i feel its solid evidence. As of now just asking general questions. AJ. :shrug: ;)

1, http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/53091-z87-extreme-6-multiple-issues.html

2, http://www.tweaktown.com/news/30730/haswell-and-usb-3-0-seeing-big-issues-with-usb-drives/index.html

3, http://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/3528...problemen-bij-14-van-de-22-geteste-usb-drives

This is the general idea ED so please be gentle and don't shoot the messenger yeah!! :facepalm: :chair:

"But the first class advice from you to wait is a really golden ED". :salute:

Last edited:
Didnt have any BIOS issues on this board. As for USB, ASUS marked keyboard and mouse ports (USB 2.0) with a sticker. I think half the problem is people plugging their kb and mouse into USB 3.0 ports and wondering why they dont work. As far as I know the only USB issue with Haswell is the potential for data loss when you enter S3 standby mode without saving data on flash drives. Really not that big a deal if you ask me. :shrug:
Well just a general heads up, this is looking good at the moment maybe you could look into it as well, at some stage in the future. ;) :attn:

1, http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2191/

But what i see lately on the Net is people who have jumped into Haswell complaining about Bios problems and USB ports not working properly! And the Mobo manufactures struggling to kinda catch up with Bios up dates and with the complaints and problems. Yes part of this could be explained by poor ownership or installation Technics, but not every single one, so is the answer to wait a few months till they catch up? And wait till everything settles down and becomes more stable! :shrug: ;)

Back